Things that I Hate in an Airport

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 91 total)

• VintageKrug
    Participant

The use of bussing is a BAA, not a BA, issue. There simply aren’t enough jetways at LHR to support operations.

95% of flights at T5 have a jetway. It’s T3’s inadequacies which require bussing for shorthaul; once the central area is complete (2013?) that will allow capacity elsewhere and should reduce or eliminate bussing.

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

Extending the false boarding calls mentioned earlier, why do they say at the gate that boarding has commenced and let pax into the airbridge, only to find that that the cabin crew aren’t ready so you are trapped in the claustrophobia of a sloping airbridge. Recently at T5A – which I find otherwise tends to suffer less from the false boarding displays, I guess it’s easier to see for yourself with the gates around the sides rather than on piers – we were all packed into the airbridge then they decided to board the special assistance etc pax, just chaos and unfair especially on them.

On the subject of airbridges, any chance of agreeing a convention like that on LU escalators for disembarkation? I look forward to the day when I have the time to amble up the airbridge taking up the whole of it, but until then I have a train to catch and it’s not a private one waiting for me to arrive. Like escalators they are by necessity narrow, but they comfortably take 2 average sized pax side by side, allowing overtaking without being intrusive on others’ personal space.

RichHI1
    Participant

I understand it is a BAA issue VK which is why I listed it as 1 of 4. It is unfortunate that IB, AA and other carriers do not use buses at T3 but BA do, probably as BA have more flights each day from T3 with all their European stuff. Wasn’t blaming BA, just making the point they do it a lot (in Lisbon most carriers have gates but not normally BA nor easyjet.)

RichHI1
    Participant

JimBannerman1 you are so right, unfortunately flying particularly long flights seem to addle some people’s brains and their spacial awareness takes a few minutes to return. I always rush up from my seat in US so I can be first at the door and not follow someone meandering in a one world of their own. Luckily AA always deplane First at the front. On BA you either have to gte permission to move seats just before landing or beg them to help you rush off before Business and most of Coach +. Shame the use of jetways has been cut back to save money, as you coudl have an express jetway at door 1 and regular at door 2.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

Slow security especially when you can see more lanes closed than open, LHR T5 is one of the worst offenders and T3 not far behind. There’s no excuse for a couple of premium lanes that are bursting, several Y lanes the same and so many closed lanes. They know what the passenger flow will be and they need to accomodate it. We pay enough for harassment by the jobsworths anyway without having to queue for it.

BAA should be cut no slack whatever at LHR, they’ve owned it long enough and it’s still a disaster area not helped by at bad times their principal client advocating arriving earlier to queue for security rather than making it plain that the situation was unacceptable (cue one poster defending BA and BAA no matter how ridiculous he sounds and maintaining they have never had to wait at security). I would like them forced to return it to public ownership at no cost.

As an antidote AKL had (haven’t been there for a couple of years so may still have) a security preparation area where you had to remove everything and prepare to go in to the lanes, only once you had could you proceed, it was brilliant and speedy but compromised on airside space so out of the question for the shopping mall at LHR even though they described it as ‘interesting’ when I suggested they might benefit from it as a means of improving the experience of their paying customers. Of course nothing improves. Performance targets should be set for airports if security is important (I seriously doubt the effectiveness of it) wait two minutes and if you aren’t through the system, by default you by-pass it.

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

Perhaps something that airlines could agree on and announce – accepting for what that might be worth – as part of the ready to disembark call, to walk on either the left or right of the airbridge, doesn’t matter which as long as others can overtake. These bridges are becoming longer, with the new telescopic / extending designs such as at T5, so it can be a while before you reach an opportunity to get past the meandering traffic in front. At LGW north for example where you have a transit then a train, this can mean vital minutes on your journey to central London – the meeting has by this time started and you’ve been elected as secretary for the next 3 years.

An end to airbridge rage!

RichHI1
    Participant

When I questioned a supervisor at LHR why so many gates were closed I was told the airlines imposed a limit on what they would pay for security (including Fast Track which apparently they fund completely). I would have thought LHR would be under a statutory liability to secure passengers but I expect it makes no reference to how many hours they have to do it in…
    Sounded like a gte out to me, anyone know more …

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Baggage Trolleys that need a coin

Inadequate signs

FRA from international arrivals to Schengen departures. Nightmare.

People crowding round the exit to meet passengers as you exit customs.

People smoking just outside the entrances to airports. By the time you’ve got passed you’ve inhaled the equivalent of 20 ciggies!

Paying for a 1st class ticket, then having to board a bus where you’re squashed with a hundred people, no a/c and the driver taking the longest, slowest route to the plane!

Errr, that’s it. I think?

RichHI1
    Participant

Worst of all things, that fateful message, “Ladies and Gentlemen we have just been in touch with Heathrow and things are a little busy at present, so we will be holding here, hopefully it won’t be long…” makes no difference if it is a public school voice, a teutonic accent or a texan drawl… it is just so depressing and predictable,,,,,again…. (not blaming any carrier :-))

robsmith100
    Participant

The customer service skills of ground staff at LHR or any UK airport for that matter. Polite friendly and all smiles -NOT

What a great impession for international visitors to the UK.

stevescoots
    Participant

Dear god yes!…the holding pattern!

I can gurantee that at least 75% of all flights I have coming into LHR are put in holding for at least 20 minutes..usually when i need to go to the loo!!

last flight in on QR was held for 30 minutes, then held on the apron for 20 minutes waiting for a jetway spare at T4…of course I could see lots of empty ones..maybe they were the wrong colour!

On and as another has said, the absolute abortion that is traffic managment around T1 & 3!

generally for all airports i find the calling for boarding now, leaving the lounge to the end up waiting with the great unwashed as its not really boarding!

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

Ah, arriving on smaller aircraft (especially ahead of schedule) with integral steps, to be told we can’t disembark because there are no ground staff to meet the flight.

Don’t get started on that **** valet service!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Not only LHR. My son just landed at AMS, they had to wait for a dock. After 20 mins Capt announced, “Sorry, but ground control forgot us. 10 mins now and we’ll be at our gate!”

LeTigre
    Participant

Heathrow Express terminal transit- how is every 15-20 mins an acceptable shuttle train frequency?

Duty free- The duty may have been taken off, but that doesn’t change the 200% price increase!

Atmosphere- All airports need to learn from Changi on this, atmosphere is softened by greenery. Ponds and vertical plant arrangements are also great. There is nothing worse than an empty representation of capitalism in a lump of steel and glass that doubles as an airport.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I hate short immigration q’s for arriving Amriecan citizens and I hate the fact that Americans are not fingerprinted and photographed when entering the UK.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 91 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls