The Slop They Serve in BA F These Days

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 85 total)

• Charles-P
    Participant

I’m surprised to hear that so many BT regulars eat on board. This is something I stopped doing years ago prefering to eat fresh cooked food either before or after flight. The unique requirements of airline food delivery mean it is usualy high in fat, sugars and calories and has been ‘flash chilled’ sometime before – Yurgh !

VintageKrug
    Participant

Actually, it’s only Covent Garden in Club.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Charles-P, I am extremely health concious in terms of my food intake. As long as there are flexible crews who are willing to help, fresh eating options are aways available an most flights J and above.

I generally mix and match, fresh vegetables and fish along with fresh fruit, salads and nuts. I have not been left hungry on any flight recently.

As I mentioned on an alterntive thread, try the “special meals”, however, I would leave the Kosher option out as there is generally enough food for more than 1.

UKFly79
    Participant

I’ve never had a bad meal in J or F. I was not aware there is, and have never seen soup on offer in J. However the food on offer is generally more suitable to the carboholic…… Why why why do they serve so much stodge; well I suppose it helps to sober you up after a bottle of something!

I know BA don’t do bling, but come on champagne is a bling drink, in F for sure. So whip some Krug out the Concorde cellar & top me up.

VintageKrug
    Participant

The soup in Club can be had from the Club Kitchen.

Often it’s Covent Garden, sometimes other brands. Just ask them to heat it up for you, best done when it’s less busy outside core mealtimes.

Soup is such a perfect food for onboard, it’s shame it’s difficult to serve up to a large cabin with the increased potential for spillage; however a good, thick soup would I think go down rather nicely.

Stowage222
    Participant

…and don’t forget you can have a small pot of fruit salad, salad (not recommended though), small ‘hot pots’ and sandwiches from the Club Kitchen during the flight. If the crew have set it up properly (variable) it’s worth having a wee look inside the fridge to relieve hunger pangs during long sectors. The soup BTW is delish!!!!

David
    Participant

Agreed – soup makes a great dish/meal, especially when served with fresh bread.

Finnair normally serve a good soup (in stylish Iittala dinnerware bowls) in long haul Business Class and seem to do it without too many problems. It is served (rather unceremoniously) from a thermos but at least it is served very hot and without spillage.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Turkish Airlines has an on-board chef and he laddles out some delicious soup (not packaged soups!!!) from a soup tureen and served it in a kind of modern Germanic table art china. Very nice!

StephenLondon
    Participant

I’ve had soup on Austrian, too, as part of the meal service. Nicely presented and most warming / delicious / filling / satisfying. Cathay, IMHO, serve the best soup in F – always delicious, always beautifully presented with no slip/slop presentation.

What I find strange about BA Club World is that they don’t tell you what they have in the Club Galley – like it is the biggest secret in the world to BA. They print menus, why can’t they say there is an assortment of noodles/pasta/hotpots/soup, etc. on board?

RichHI1
    Participant

My preference is always to eat on the ground and sleep in the plane where possible. The CX, BA and others in lounge dining is always ny preferred route if I have not eaten elsehwere, otherwise I tend to carry on Sushi or other non meat option as my diet is restricted.
    First on all airlines is not what is was and catering is no exception however I think it would be wrong to say BA is worse than the competition in this respect though their special meals can be problematic (Seafood meal was fish wrapped in bacon).
    Interesting comment on Turkish, I have not flown since 1980’s and it was more fitting to a Turkish Prison in those days but things sound very different now…

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

RichHI1: Funny you say that with bringing your own sushi on board. I do that regularly flying out of Tokyo as I would buy the best sushi box tray and bring it on board and you should see the eyes of the other business travellers lighting up when I unfurled my delectable sushi during meal service and even the cabin crew told me that it was a smart move!

Turkish: With the leasing of the Jet Airways B777 with very nice BIZ seats and on-board chef, it no longer has the MIDNIGHT EXPRESS feel back in the 1980’s. You might just lke to be in “captivity” for the 10 hour or so of pleasant Turkish Delight flying experience!

Cashsuds
    Participant

When they brought out the A380 boasting of all the space they had, I had visions of a full sized commercial kitchen fully decked out with a chef on board every flight cooking out a “storm”. Obviously, I was too naive to think that but even more so to think that certain Air Travellers would expect to have a Michellin meal on board with all the “advertising” of celebrity chefs on airlines menu panels.

For goodness sake, travelling by air whether in F or Y is just plain transportation from A to B. If I wanted a good meal and could afford it, it certainly won’t be up in the air.

RichHI1
    Participant

I tend to agree. Maybe we will see outsourcing and a McDonalds outlet on a future A380?

Bullfrog
    Participant

In 2011, one certainly can’t rely on an airline to serve a good meal in First or Business, although it is always a bonus. I find Asian carriers providing a more palatable meal than well known European carries.

Pre 911, the food served in First Class on Air New Zealand was on par with good restaurant. What I found more amazing was that there was
    100% coverage for every dish.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Cashsubs:

I do not have any unrealistic expection for airline food served on board even with the top Asian Airlines! All airline PR dept beat their own drums with the in-flight food quality but it is very difficult to achieve. There was a time some 8 to10 years ago where the food in a few airlines came close to restauranet quality but now all vanished!

An dedicated on-board chef can help to make the food presentation better and in some case food more palatable such as freshly made breakfast egg dishes. The cabin crew simply do not have the time to do this as they many other chores to perform on board.

Why do you think I often would buy and take some suitable food to suppliment the standard fare on short/medium haul flights in the premium cabin! As I travel so often this is the only way where I can be in control of what I would like to consume.. I am pretty sure I am not the only weird passenger!!!

I don’t do that when I can have access to first-rate lounge food in a few airports world-wide.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 85 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls