The Slop They Serve in BA F These Days

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 85 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

We continually hear how awful food is in F these days. Personally, I stick to the Catch of the Day and the excellent Soups, and have never had a problem with these.

I am sure there are some less than superb dishes, but on the whole I think many people exercise hyperbole with some of their “wouldn’t feed it to my under-butler’s dog” nonsense.

Here are some [not recent] recent BA F pictures, though it is a fair representation of my typical experience of BA’s offering in recent months:

http://www.flyertalk.com/topflyer/posts/view/steak-and-burgundy-aboard-british-airways

GoonerLondon
    Participant

The plastic cutlery dates the pic a little ?

Most on-line posts about BA food relate to J class meals, and usually suggest cost cutting has had an adverse impact, and that recent meals have not been as good as those served in the past….

Delsurrey
    Participant

VK, I thought you were a 2K chap? At least they left you the bottle, on a recent Virgin flight I had one glass before they had “run out” !

VintageKrug
    Participant

It’s not my photo report; 2K is indeed my preference!

They ran out of ‘poo over Bermuda on my last Virgin flight (admittedly, that was over a year ago now..) though after a small “discussion” with the Cabin Manager chappie, some was located in the depths of the bar cart.

The steward had tried to serve me sparkling wine as an alternative…*rolls eyes*

And, actually, you are quite right that though posted yesterday it is an old pic, as they are using the old crockery as well as the plastique, which I think was replaced almost two years ago.

Here is a more recent trip report (again, not me!), with some excellent pics of the nibbles aboard new F:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1164154-review-new-first-new-777-300-a.html

Binman62
    Participant

The last set of pictures are superb and the trip report also. The food looks like it normally does….great.

Want to know how they kept the place so neat and tidy. My seat area can look look like a war zone shortly after I sit down!!!

robsmith100
    Participant

Do you think the fault with the so called ‘slop’ served in all cabins of BA flights is more down to the fault of Gate Gourmet than the airline itself?

Airlines spend an enormous amount of money each year employing world renown chefs such as Gordon Ramsay and now Heston Blumenthal to get things right, but BA is appears to be significantly inconsistent.

Channel 4 has a series due to air this month ‘Michelin Impossible’ where in one episode Heston Blumenthal is due to help reinvent food on board BA flights

VintageKrug
    Participant

I think BA is notoriously bad at managing outsourced catering providers.

And it’s fair to say there have been significant (and necessary) cuts in the catering food which have restricted the available quantity, quality and choice of food served to passengers.

I personally have never had a truly bad meal aboard BA, and I even flew WT+ for the first time in a decade quite recently and ate very well indeed, in both directions.

From London the food is actually pretty good, I think it’s more the outstations which generate criticism.

There are plans afoot to significantly improve the on board food offering, so I think we should be able to look forwards to an amelioration of standards.

First-Pax
    Participant

I’m heartened to hear that there are plans to improve the on-board offering VK. I’ve flown ‘up the front’ since the mid 1980’s and miss all the luxuries and little touches that have been removed over time.

Can I suggest that whoever oversees the ‘upgrade’ at BA actually canvasses all Exec Club members who fly First more than say 4 times a year, to get a proper perspective on their needs. After all it should be about what the passenger wants – not what some marketing executive thinks we want…

I for one would be more than happy for the fare to increase if it meant a return to the days of Krug, Caviar and carved filet of beef properly served.

If that’s not possible, then how about letting M&S or Tesco show Gate Gourmet how to do it ?

VintageKrug
    Participant

Actually, BA already changed provider for its shorthaul food to Northern Foods, which is the primary supplier for M&S.

I enjoyed the fillet of beef being carved seat-side, though I’d hardly appreciate that being done these days (can you imagine the furore from the Veggies and especially so on Indian routes!).

I don’t think we’ll ever return to caviar etc. and I think they have the variety and quality about right in F; they just need to ensure a little more availability of choice both in food and wine, and the biggest issue is ensuring it looks good on the plate; sometimes it’s just slopped on and that’s no good at all.

The F ‘poo is back to its former good standard; the nasty Cattier seems to have been put back in the bin where it belongs.

While you may be keen for a fare increase to cover an improvement, most purchasers will not and comptetive pricing means even adding £10 above an alternative carrier’s ticket cost will mean the sale going to them; it would be crazy for BA to add cost in such a way.

The real investment needs to happen in Club World, and that is coming, which is good news indeed.

The new steam ovens on all new aircraft henceforth (including the already delivered 777-300ER) should help the food taste less dried out, as well.

First-Pax
    Participant

Let’s hope that Norther are given the opportunity to supply longhaul food as well then and the F product is, at least ,upgraded to something that doesn’t resemble plated-up Club food.

From what you say though VK, it looks like those of us who feel we are not getting a good enough standard of catering in First (as compared to other carriers such as Singapore and Emirates, who achieve a better product within their budgets) should save our comments and money and downgrade to the seemingly more commercially viable Club World (where a ‘real investment’ is warranted!).

robsmith100
    Participant

Check out the links, both give very interesting reading.

BA First Meal Reviews, with good pics (
    http://www.airlinemeals.net/browsemeals.php?id=1965&start=1&x=1&type=first

Behind the scenes report of how Emirates get the food to your seat.
    http://www.notquitenigella.com/2010/02/03/all-about-airline-food-behind-the-scenes-at-emirates-airlines/

First-Pax
    Participant

…my vote goes to Emirates – and look at their wash bag, the BA one isn’t worth opening these days. If only they flew LHR/MIA.

BAdboys
    Participant

VK…..if you like the soups in F so much they can be bought in Tesco/Sainsburys etc. They are the Covent Garden range. Yup, nothing home-made about those!

CallMeIshmael
    Participant

Anything that is white is sweet.
    Anything that is brown is meat.
    Anything that is grey, don’t eat.

— Stephen Sondheim, regards airline food, ‘Do I hear a Waltz,’ 1965.

The more I fly, the more I’m convinced that the true wonder of modern aviation is the transformation of tasteless particles into something known as airplane food.

— Bob Blummer, The Surreal Gourmet.

The quality of food is in inverse proportion to a dining room’s altitude, especially atop bank and hotel buildings (airplanes are an extreme example).

— Bryan Miller, the New York Times restaurant critic.

To me, an airplane is a great place to diet.

— Wolfgang Puck

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 85 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls