SQ Business Class – Editors please note

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 116 total)

• Wildgoose
    Participant

Recently flew DXB-LGW in F Class on EK. Found the food disappointing. Couldn’t complain about the caviar and the Moet but the entree was no better than a glorified microwaved M&S dinner.
    Also, EK seem to have scaled down: no second meal was offered in F class even though the arrival time would have made a light dinner appropriate. Seat and suite were comfortable though.

albert_ateng
    Participant

there seems to be some confusion regarding the meaning of lie-flat seats: which include both flat bed (180) and angled lie flat. As far as I know all new CX long haul feature flat bed (herringbone) and EK with angled lie flat (except for a380 which is flat bed).

MarcusUK
    Participant

But this post is not about finding a flat bed on another Airline, its about declining services on SQ down to Australia, the varying cabins, unclear as to what you buy, pay for, but actually experience.
    It seriously affects their ranking as a 5 Star Airline, with so many post on here in the last yr, from many SIN-Australia route travellers.

We have just published a full and exclusive report on the inconsistencies in business class products offered by Asian airlines on regional routes, written by our consumer editor Alex McWhirter. This can be read at:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/special-report-business-class-on-asian-airlines

xxquiker
    Participant

Singapore Airlines won Airline of the Year 2009 from OAG Airlines Industry. Know your facts mate. SQ also won best first class and best first class catering from Skytrax.

MarcusUK
    Participant

Which Business or First Class cabin might that be, as they have 4 different versions?!!!

Just off the SQ flight in from Dubai to SIN Business class, older 777-300, but old regional seating. Flying to Sydney on the refurbished 777-300 with new regional seating again (Unfortunately) tomrw overnight.
    The A380 & 773-ER have the new seats, but 1st on the refurbished 773, are the same as business on the A380.then there is the old Raffles class style on the 747 & 772-ER!

Alex’s BT article, & the one coming up on this aspect of SQ’s cabin services, on the same routes, means that SQ has at least 4 different cabins, & in the future will be classifying some service SIN – Australia as Regional, & the cabins will reflect that!

You simply don’t know what product you are buying into these days….such a shame, though the welcoming friendly crew, always remembering your name, & the generally excellent foods & the service of the F & B, remain wonderful…

Hess963
    Participant

This 4 different types of cabins–do not make premium pax happy — but the opposite– they will prefer to choose another airline–or take the time and nerves to find out which aircraft will be used on that specific flight segment( I believe only SQ fans will do this ).

For me this is definitely a negative factor to vote for and choose SQ to be the best in the industry. This inconsistency is not typical SQ—but I believe the time has changed for SQ and sadly it is more in a negative aspect..

MarcusUK
    Participant

Took the SQ older 773 business from DXB – SIN ast week.
    The seat was not the old Raffles seat, but a cradle fabric seat. Still it was comfortable, height of the seats private, food service was dinner then breakfast next day. All together an old aircraft n style of cabin, but all fine for the 7 hr flight.

2 days later the “Dreaded” refurbished 773 from SIN -SYD, the 00.30hrs SQ231.
    I stand by my comments made begining of this thread.
    Lounge was sparse for food, champagne or wine has to be asked for it is not freely available. No desserts, broken coffee machines, & some stale breads, & newspapers from friday..this was sunday 11pm.

That 773 they use, the L engine is like a road drill still. 2 seats in front of engines in C, the windows vibrate, you cannot hear announcements or speak to the person next to you.
    Cabin is too low set, everyone’s head above the seat back, no shell of privacy, or quietness that this creates. Go to sleep n the person next to you breathes right into your face, there is no divider between the seats even when in the angled sleeping state.
    The bottom & middle cushion are fine to cradle position, but to sleep a big gap appears & the bar catches you in yr hip, you slide down also through the night.
    I could put a hand sidewards each gap in the side of the cushion to the shell of the seat, so drop anything n you cant retrieve it as the seat is sealed at each side & low at the front.
    Staff had to use a coat hanger again to get things out for passengers!

The one meal one course again is very annoying, if you take it on take off OR have yr meal morning. This flight can be 9 hrs!
    SQ have really lost the plot on routes down to Australia.
    Seems with the new schedules, they have now Regionalised their routes in a set business plan i was told about last September.

I would no longer recommend them from SIN down to Australia, as others on here to BNE, MEL, ADL have also commented. The cut backs & fraying at the edges, downgrading of aircraft & of cabins & service is no longer acceptable, & it is systemic & on going from the 8 flights i have taken in the last yr.
    I am finished with SQ.

MarcusUK
    Participant

PLS link to the other thread on SQ as the latest BT comments from the forum, as they are directly related.

aviationfan
    Participant

I also noticed the removal of some of the in-flight catering on my recent biz class return from SYD, I was quite disappointed to see the familiar Satay was gone! And adding to my growing annoyance towards SQ, who have become exceptionally arrogant of late, they have also doubled the miles needed if you want to upgrade from the UK. The reason for this is because the 773-ER and A380 provide a better onboard product than the old spacebed on the 747. While that may be the case, I am not sure it warrants doubling of the miles. And now, since the 747 does not even service the UK, any UK Krisflyer members who wish to redeem miles for upgrade now have to use twice the amount of miles for the privalege. Exactly why SQ rewardss its loyal pax in this way has made me question my loyalty totally and start looking elsewhere for a new carrier.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Aviationfan
    Until late March one way around the higher mileage redemption was to board your SQ flight in MAN because an older version B777 was being used (so normal miles were needed).

But that option is no longer available now that the MAN-SIN service was recently upgraded to a B777-300ER.

aviationfan
    Participant

Yes, I’ve tried this trick once. Shame it is no longer available. But the sums don’t add up. E.g. You can purchase/redeem miles for a one way business class ticket from LON-SIN for only 120,000 miles. But to upgrade from a full fare economy ticket one way it is now 90,000 miles instead of only 45,000 last year. Very disappointed that I need to fly double the amount for the same reward.

MarcusUK
    Participant

SQ would’nt allow SA redemptions on its new Business cabin, on the A380 /773-ER for some time now.

As Alex fesatured in his article, & post that the update for SQ, flights SIN-SYD are being changed round. The 747 has been removed, & the overnight flight a refurbished 773, with regional seating, switched to the morning service.
    This means 3/4 flights to Sydney now they will not redeem ANY seats in the BMI DC program. Having ditched both now in terms of redemptions, they lost my custom & loyalty.
    Neither would i pay the current fares of $4,500 return to use the new Business cabins from LHR-SYD, when the same fare was £1,900 last year.

The niggling cut backs, (sparse food in lounges, one meal on an 8 hr flight, no desserts, no starters, their “regional “Angle seats definition of SIN -Australia flights etc), SQ have had their day as far as i am concerned.
    Many choices around, & other Airlines that are not being so mean in cutting small but highly noticeable & annoying services on board.

aviationfan
    Participant

I very much agree Marcus, and ironically, SQ double the amount of miles needed for redemption on many sectors now due to “a better onboard product” but yet will still sell uniform J-class fares where you may end up with the lesser onboard product across the differently configured aircrafts. Makes no sense. If they can differentiate in Krisflyer miles between the onboard 747 J-class seat and the onboard A380 J-class seat then why not adopt this philosophy to the pricing???

austline
    Participant

Agree with Marcus and Aviationfan.

SQ must be getting a little worried as they just sent an e-mail offering me PPS renewal if I spend SGD10K by the end of May. Have declined and will probably drop to SA Silver.

It’s a pity as I was a loyal SQ pax for 13 years – Solitaire PPS and I really thought that they were the best. But cut backs on catering in the air, odd seating patterns on aircraft, lounges were you have to ask for catering and drinks and the worst FF program, 3 years expiry of miles, double miles to claim rewards in J or F on A380 or upgraded 777, which just opeate all of the flights out of Mel and Syd.

I am now a firm OW pax and enjoy QF, their lounges are great and the A380 is a really nice aircraft. The FF progam has no milage expiry and their premium desk for Platinum FF in Aust is great, nothing is too much trouble.

I really think SQ have been a little arrogant and ahve let their guard down and are paying the price.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 116 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls