SQ Business Class – Editors please note

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 116 total)

• MarcusUK
    Participant

Completely agree with all above!

SQ have chosen not to listen, many customers are getting very annoyed at these small differences, cuts, with also a lack of honesty about them happening or being made. They promote still, but what you get is inconsistent & frankly not worth the current fares they are asking for. We see this with BA, TG often on here & it is starting with EK also…
    There are plenty Airlines out their, all chasing the BT & leisure custom, & they are really trying to lessen their FF liabilities, all Airlines have done the same in the last few years with their programs.

I flew TG down to Sydney last eve from BKK, on a really great new A346. Same problems their as SQ no food in lounges, & in fact of the 2 cabins Business class on the overnight flight, approx 60 seats, no more than 20 were taken, 2 /8 in First!

Cabin was great food & service was also superb, but the ripped seats, like the Airline as a whole, shows, like SQ, fraying round the edges.

Those Airlines that cease to listen to their customers, & make cutbacks as BA & SQ have, are shedding loyalty, & simply there are too many Airlines with too many seats, chasing too few of us to sit in them.
    It will be, & is , their loss now, but the future…?
    All depends on their attitude…

UrsCarloGrassi
    Participant

100% agree! I’m sure that in fact most of the “dayflyer” don’t like this seats. I even don’t like it for longhaul ZRH-SIN etc.

MarcusUK
    Participant

SQ still have restrictions on allowing miles to be redeemed on A380 or 777-300ER flights /the new business cabins.
    It means it is almost impossible to get a reward seat out of LHR or from SIN to Sydney for eg, as most services have now been changed to the new cabins (With BMI D.Club for eg). The older aircraft remain accessible for miles mostly on the 777-200ER’s, out of Amsterdam for eg.

I know the demand for Amsterdam isn’t great, especially with Emirates now making daily flights taking business to The Far East & Australia.
    However, it is surely time they upgraded this old aircraft & seating on this route?
    It would be more fitting on the Antiques Roadshow!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I guess the reason that the Amsterdam product (ie the B777-200ER) hasn’t been upgraded is because SIA’s newest planes (ie the A380 and B777-300ER) are not only much larger but they also come with first class seating.

So I guess at the present time SIA must be questioning whether or not it could profitably fill a larger plane, bearing in mind the Dutch home market is limited in scope.

A further consideration is that there isn’t the same demand for first class seating ex-Amsterdam as there is out of, say, London, Frankfurt or Paris.

MarcusUK
    Participant

Sure, I accept there is no 1st demand on this route from Amsterdam- they feel…yet Emirates have recently started a 777 which is proving very successful including First from Amsterdam. Clearly you have to connect but i know several colleagues who started to fly 1st to Singapore with them.

Also, 80% of KLM’s business is connecting passengers to other flights from Europe. There is an enormous loyalty of Southern & Northern Europe customers from other countries, who choose to travel via AMS. So, perhaps the Dutch small market is not the only source of custom…

AMS has far fewer Airlines than LHR towards The Far East, & KLM offers only Business in the premium market. They may well be surprised if they ran such a flight at the demand.
    However, the C cabin needs to be updated, i personally wouldn’t pay for his old dated cabin,you may as well fly some lesser quality Airline(China Airlines, Korean, Malaysian, Eva!) & cost, & have the same dated cabin, for up to 50% less, or fly First for the same.

cbroo79
    Participant

I honestly agree with the critics of SQ. SQ has been -regardless of route or time of day- reducing its service from check-in to arrival and in-flight. It was gradually but it is a process. I am sure SQ things they can get away with it. I also agree that different PAX have different tastes, experiences and expectations. I have decided to avoid SQ whenever possible as I deem it overrated and overpriced and very arrogant as is indicated by unanswered feedback letters/emails etc. I strongly believe that voting with your feet and changing carriers is the only way left for a PAX.

tarisingh
    Participant

I agree cbroo, having been a loyal customer for over 10 years 2009 was definitely my last flight with SQ – LHR-SYD and back was noticeably poorer. TG is over £1000 cheaper for the same trip and as SQ service is now no better Thai have got my business!

EugeneChan
    Participant

I have just read through some posts and I can sense all this confusion in relation to the several types of business class products Singapore Airlines is offering for their Singapore-Sydney flight sector.

I am due to fly on a Singapore-Sydney flight next February – the plane’s a 777-300 and I had a look at the seating configuration and it’s 2-2-2.

Which business product is this – is it the new one as in the A380/773ER, the new medium-haul one in the A330, or the really old one?

Thanks.

The 777-300 features a refurbished cabin with similar (ie angled lie-flat seating) as found on the newer A330 aircraft. Business class seating on the A380/777-300ER is fully lie-flat and disposed in a more spacious 2-2 layout.

For the best business class product on this route opt for the services which are rostered for an A380. At the time of writing, two of SIA’s four daily flights between Singapore and Sydney are operated by the super jumbo.

Business Traveller

ChrisFreeman
    Participant

Just came back on SQ doing SYD-SIN-HKG. The service is much improved since I started this thread back in December 2009.

However, two things caught my attention. First, the business class (silver) lounge at HKG does NOT have toilets inside. This is odd given that HKG is the busiest city for SQ outside SIN. Second, on the midnight flight from SIN-SYD on the A380 last week I was told that I could have either a supper now or breakfast in the morning, but not both! It is not the way to impress the customers and I am surprised that SQ does not understand this.

Overall, I found SQ much improved.

JohnPhelanAustralia
    Participant

Chris, this “one meal only” policy has been in vogue with SQ on the Australia flights for some time. It has caused quite a storm of disapproval from J travellers in Australia and is definitely costing SQ business. Some previous SQ loyalists are now flying QF, BA or EK on this route for this very reason.

SQ has come up with some weak justification of saying they are trying to maximise pax sleep time (the flights from SIN to the east coast of Australia are in the 7-8 hour range – similar to UK-US translantic) but it is really just penny-pinching – you can have dinner, or you can have breakfast – but not both! Ridiculous.

ChrisFreeman
    Participant

I agree it is ridiculous when SQ have made such a conscious effort to improve customer service onboard. I cannot understand why SQ allow these minor issues to cause angst among its passengers.

austline
    Participant

I just came back from Singapore on QF010, supper ex Singapore – really nice meal, and a continental breakfast into Melbourne, this was served as the pax woke up. I have not used SQ for several years as I got tired of their penny pinching with F&B offerings in J class.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

I haven’t seen any signs of SQ attemtping to improve customer service on board and agree with others, it’s penny pinching at every turn. They rely very much on the hard product as a sales pitch and think people don’t notice the rest. As I’ve never been a fan of the current J seats and I don’t tend to watch IFE the soft product really does come under scrutiny.

In both F & J (can’t comment on Y) the soft product has been in decline for several years on an incremental basis so that you almost don’t notice but if you could take a snapshot and compare it over periods of a couple of years at a time over the last ten years you would get quite a shock.

I now fly SQ when they are the most convenient option and there isn’t another carrier I prefer more (QR, QF, EK, EY, TG and a few more) on the route at the time I need.

cbroo79
    Participant

PPS – as said above I fully agree. This blog is almost a validation of my impression over the past 7 years and I am unhappy that it is not me but truly SQ.
    I just flew into HK on CX and in talking to colleagues on the flight they all agreed that SQ is going down in service (including taking PPS priviledges away from a colleague who was PPS for years and years and missed requalifying (once!).

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 116 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls