SQ Business Class – Editors please note

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 116 total)

• MarcusUK
    Participant

It has been the policy of SQ for the last 2 yrs.
    I made a formal written complaint to SQ, & ended having a chat with the SQ Manager for NSW, Australia, in October.

He indicated these changes ahead for the 777’s but did say the policy of one meal on Australian overnight routings had been there for 2 years which it has. SQ on board chatting to them, also told me it was really seen as regional service by the crews, & in terms of supplies!

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

Given that most of the passengers on SQ services from SIN to AUS are connecting and many of them from Europe, the idea of a regional service is in my view misguided, you are not travelling for 7.5 hours but more like 24. Downgrading the AUS services leads to a poor overall impression of the route when you expect consistency throughout which is what others provide. Of course as usual SQ will know best and I’ll just spend more and more of my money with others.

cityprofessional
    Participant

While the SQ internally classifies its service as being “regional”, I’m not sure what everyone is complaining about. The “regional” C seat is a normal lie flat wedgie seat and no worse than the Spacebed (offered to FRA, JFK, NRT and LAX) or any competitor offering between SE Asia and Australia, with the exception of a small handful of QF/BA flights with fully flat beds. By this definition of regional, LH is only a regional airline as it doesn’t offer fully flat beds anywhere. Are there any other examples of inferior service vs other SQ flights? Same lounge, same IFE, same champagne, same (measly) amenity kit… anything else different?

As for “one meal flights”, 3 out of the 4 SIN-SYD flights and *all* 4 of the return SYD-SIN flights serve two meals, so I’m not sure what the problem is? Bottom line: if you want two meals, don’t choose a midnight departure, when the majority of your fellow passengers would rather sleep

Hess963
    Participant

Hi everyone !!

There are other airlines which offer full flat bed between SEA and Australia/NewZealand–CX, VS, NZ and even only a small player in this area–but has a good impact as it offers a full flat bed–GA ! So if you consider the Middle Eastern carriers which serves Middle East and Australia directly or with a stop–which offer also superior full flat beds like EY, EK and soon QR. So there is still a handful of other carriers beside BA/QF.

cityprofessional
    Participant

My redemption zone map tells me HKG is not in SE Asia, but hey, I can see some people wanting to fly SYD-AKL-HKG-SIN to get a flat bed and four meals…

When did EK start offering flat beds on anything other than the A380?

Hess963
    Participant

I am referring to the A380 of EK as offering full flat beds. As far as I know there is no plans on the side of EK to refurbish existing aircrafts to full flat bed.

This will be a good possibility for BT staffs to research, if EK is planning such refurbishments in the future.

suitdude30
    Participant

I completely agree with Chris Freeman’s comments concerning the limited recline of the New Business Class seats. Yes, very spacious and wide, but it’s really only good in 2 positions – upright and fully horizontal. There’s no in-between for relaxation, like reading or watching TV. I flew the A380 from Singapore to Paris in November, and my humble opinion regarding the seat’s shortcomings was shared by a couple who held PPS Solitaire status (i.e. SQ’s most frequent F/J class travellers). I prefer the Boeing 747’s Business Class Spacebeds. In fact, the old Ultimo seats on the un-refurbished Boeing 777-300 aircraft are even more comfortable.

suitdude30
    Participant

Actually, this post is regarding SQ’s First Class…I flew MEL-SIN on SQ238, an older, unrefurbished B777-300. The other 2 flights are an A380, and a B777-300ER, both with diffferent F Class products. My F class seat had very poor recline, and the leg/foot rest didn’t even come up very far. It wasn’t much better than the Ultimo seats in Business. Fantastic legroom (64″ pitch), however. Why is SQ operating 3 different types of F and J class on this route, and charging the same fare for different products? Especially glaring when comparing F class seat on the 777-300 ER with the 777-300. Of course, you pay a premium for Suites on the A380, but that’s just crazy.

albert_ateng
    Participant

all B777-300 are due to be retrofitted with same first class seats as those in B777-300ER and new regional business seats (lie flat) as those in A330-300.

MarcusUK
    Participant

The regional 773 /A333 C seats are Not lie flat!

The 1st class seats were fitted with the business seats from the 773-ER /A380. I travelled on this refurbed old noisy 773, in Sept 09.
    As posted already by various readers from various routes to Australia, the cabin is low set, seats barely above yr head, no privacy & space is badly used. The seats are angled, with a large gap in between the leather cushions of the lower & middle…(I had to stuff a blanket in-between them), & you hear everyone from rows ahead & behind, as there are no sound breaks, or privacy, in the whole cabin of C class. I could put my fist between the cushion & side of the seat the gaps are so large sidewards also.There is a huge space wasted. The seat shell, if you drop anything through the seat very possible with the gaps between the cushions, you will have to move yr fellow passenger next to you, lie as flat on the floor as you can from the front, & drag you arm into the base of the shell, as you can reach it any other way. Staff were fishing out dropped items of several people, with serving tongues!

The diagonal entry to the forward of the cabin, caused several passengers to bang their shoulders or knees throughout the flight, trying to pass through with no visibility. Step once to the left then to the right to get through!
    Before we took off, one stewardess was knocked flat by another passenger walking through & literally hit the floor on her back!

The cabin & changes are to increase Business capacity on the route, & SQ have removed one flight a day from the route (747, also there were 2 A380’s at one stage a day).

I don’t have a problem from SIN -HKG with this seat, not on an 8 hr overnight flight where the seat is awkward, cabin noisy & simply for cost reasons, they remove one meal. Everyone in the full cabin ate dinner, 5 people all made complaints, & double this when we left delayed in approach after 9.5 hrs, without a 2nd meal! Several Business passengers were going to the airport cafe to eat breakfast

I wont be flying SQ down to Sydney, it is a lottery, & i am sorry but an unsuitable C class cabin & simply not worth paying for. This is not comparing to the “New business” seat or cabin, but even to old the Raffles.
    Take yr own sandwiches for dinner or breakfast, otherwise you will go hungry!

Wildgoose
    Participant

Maybe BT Asia could carry out a survey/review to determine which airline offers the best J Class product between SIN and Oz/NZ?

AsiaPacific
    Participant

The issue with only one meal on overnight flights is not the volume of food as far as I am concerned, its just that one may choose the breakfast but have to put up with the clatter of others eating supper and vice versa which really defeats the argument of extra sleep time. Not being even offered a cup of tea / coffee in the morning is appalling. I wonder ? Do econ class pax get 2 meals ? or just a choice of one or the other ?

MarcusUK
    Participant

Tends to be a continental offering whisked through in 30 minutes, barely an hr before landing, so should not make so much difference, but hard luck if you took yr meal the night before as you wont be offered one!
    Also, some passengers will want to at, especially if they have slept for 5 hrs plus, & it begining a new day. It is approx 11am when you land in Sydney…

Considering some Airlines spend as a budget £4.50 for a meal for a business passenger, it is certainly not for us this withdrawl.

oldchinahand
    Participant

Cathay ex SIN D class fare via HKG is not a bad option if it is a flat bed, a good dinner (or 2) and breakfast that appeals. 777-200 with regional business class ex SIN at 18.30. Long haul 330 with flat bed ex HKG 23.55 into SYD at 12.05 +1. About an hour later than SQ evening flight ex SIN

FlyingReader
    Participant

EK now offer flat beds in Business Class on all flights ex SYD.

As mentioned in previous posts, the A380 is configured with lie-flat seats in Business Class as is the B777-300ER which operates on the Dubai-Bangkok-Sydney-Christchurch rtn route as well as on the B777-200LR which operates the new third daily (direct) service between Dubai/Sydney.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 116 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls