Obnoxious kids in Business Class

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 385 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

BeckyBoop – sweetheart, I am more than happy to leave my hotel and purchase some reading glasses if it helps.

Again, you have missed my point, or perhaps it is my English!

Yes the brats, were loud, but the parents (or handlers) were worse by not controlling them.

In very general terms, when I see unaccompanied minors or young teenagers travelling by themselves, there never appears to be any problems with noise.

Most posters agree that kids behave well in airplanes, if taught from an early age, how to behave!

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Martyn, nothing wrong with my eyes or understanding of what you have written. I did read your post and i understand where you are coming from but dont think you have covered all the angles and think you may of miss read mine – dont you (or anyone else) think that any of the problems might me down to the “brats” having ADHD – Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder? this can be very difficult for any parent to cope with.

xx

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hi,

I heard the best put-down for a while today on Chiltern, in response to an obnoxious adult.

I got on the train and took a window seat, at a table bay. The seat next to me (aisle) was vacant, but the two seats opposite (and the table) were occupied by a “gentleman” sitting in the aisle seat, with his briefcase on the inside (window seat) . A common ruse to ensure no-one sits alongside, as you know.

The entire table was taken up my his laptop, three phones, a notepad and an i Pad. His coffee. A sandwich. And his newspaper.

At Dorridge, an elderly lady alighted and asked if the seat next to me (the aisle seat) was free. I said “of course” and she sat down. She asked the “gentleman” opposite if she could place her handbag on the (common) table. He glared at her and made no attempt to move anything. She then simply moved his paper and coffee cup and pushed his laptop lightly towards him, so she could use the space. Her glared again and spent the next 15 minutes sighing loudly.

This was an extremely well-dressed man in a pin-striped suit, probably in his early fifties. Not some whiz-kid chav.

As the train filled up at Solihull (it was full, no seats available as far as I could see – except the one occupied by the “gentleman’s” bag), he avoided eye contact with all alighting passengers and made no effort to move his bag to free up a seat.

He then left the train at Moor Street. He packed away his belongings, still in a clearly irritated mood. As he left, the lady touched his arm and said “Excuse me.” He glared at her. She said “Thank you so much for allowing me to share your office.” I and a number of other passengers burst out laughing. The “gentleman”, of course, just glared.

I agree with Martyn. Most kids are fine. It’s the adults who seem increasingly to have no manners.

Off to the Far East in a couple of weeks in the new LX fully-flat seat. I will report back in due course.

Regards and safe travels to all.

Simon

michal1027
    Participant

To All…..As I mentioned before, I worked for an Airline for 27 years…and was allowed to travel in Premium Classes on many flights. I was extremely mindful of the revenue passengers and never once acted up for fear of losing my access to Premium Classes for future flights. I think it is extremely important for parents of children in Premium cabins to ensure the safety, and presence that they are not at home….and in that text discipline their children to let them know they are not at home and amongst other passengers. I agree, it is lovely to hear young children chat and have fun onboard the aircraft….but it is not polite to allow them to run up and down the aisles invading the space of other passengers with either their presence or loud screams.
    It is most difficult for flight crew to attack this problem….thus it becomes the responsibility of the parents, and/or other passengers to alert the parents that their “little darling(s)” is being a pain in the arse.
    The price of your ticket includes the seat, and passage to your destination…..it does not say anywhere on the reservation….you or your family members can make the flight a living nightmare for others that paid the same air fare. As a child I was always informed before we travelled that I was expected to put on my best manners……that way I would see smiles from other passengers….instead of the dread look like I should be vaporized into outer space.
    I cannot insist enough that when we are all travelling in a can at high speed and altitude….we must all remember our manners….from the little child to the grown business man that tips a few to many cocktails….Taking this to heart….may we all have future pleasant and restful flights in Premium Cabins….

CXDiamond
    Participant

Surely ADHD is a medical condition and as such any child with it ought to be examined and it be determined whether they are fit to fly. If they are not capable of sitting still and keeping quiet for the duration of the flight then IMO they are not fit to fly and no exceptions should be made.

Maybe I’m getting too old for this but when I was young I don’t think ADHD existed and parents dealt with the sort of behaviour that is apparently the result of it with a soundly smacked bottom and it was very effective. As MartynSinclair says, it is often down to the inability of the parent/handler to exercise control but of course many younger parents have no idea how to instil discipline anyway.

As for adults who fail to behave, they should be warned once and if that fails to have an effect, arrested on arrival and dealt with by the authorities of the country they land in harshly.

We are entitled to travel in all cabins without harassment from ill mannered people of any age.

RichHI1
    Participant

With the greatest respect to all posters and not wishing to cause offence, I do no think this is the correct forum to be discussing ADHD or other Medical issues. I have seen joking references to Bi Polar in other threads and I believe that non clincal use of these terms is ill advised.

Many children who are perfectly healthy find it hard to stay still and quiet and meet the standards of behaviour expected in an adult orientated environment.

In my limited experience these issues are usually caused by either the responsible adult failing to communicate the expected behaviour for the occasion, a continual failure to address societal development (learning appropriateness) , or most common of all taking a child into an unsuitable situation e.g. long flights, over tiredness, too much excitement etc etc.

It is unrealistic for any one to expect children not to behave as children however there are times when parents have to put the needs of their children before their own and if that means avoiding long haul travel with the children for a few years, that is the deal.

I know from experience that many people men and women women find young babies appealing and enjoy helping out in these situations and I intend no disrespect to them in light of what I have posted.

Do not mean to sound pompous but casual use of medical issues can lead to their being devalued and increase misunderstanding and marginalization in society generally.

lloydah
    Participant

Whilst I agree with you Rich, for the most part anyway, I did read a substantive paper a while back that more or less said that a major pharmaceutical company in the US had developed certain drugs and were on the lookout for the symptoms for which these were the cure. ADHD was mentioned at this point. There is always the chance that, once a “cure”is found for badly behaved kids, parents will up sticks, go for the “cure” and no longer accept responsibility for whatever their darlings decide to do or not do. At the same time we all know that kids will be kids, what we need is to accept we all have rights to a bit of space and a bit of piece when cooped up in a metal tube for hours on end.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Rich – “taking a child into an unsuitable situation e.g. long flights”

I wouldnt consider children are too out of place on a long haul flight with all the pampering and additional space as a % of their body size to seat size. There are more cartoons on the IFE than decent films.

There is no reason for kids to be boisterous on a long haul, once the flight is on its way. Parents and handlers just need to know how to control them. If a zoo keeper can control wikd animals, parents should be able to keep their little darlings under control AND amused for 10 hours.

The medical issues are just a red herring. I have travelled with children and adults where medical issues could really be used as an excuse……………(not prepared to discuss any further on that).

Binman62
    Participant

CX diamond…….Really cannot agree with you. Your comment re ADHD may have been made in jest, I cannot be sure, however if taken to its logical conclusion their are a number of physical and mental ailments which would, if your idea was allowed, prevent the suffers from traveling. Not sure why anyone with any sort of disability should be discriminated against in this way and prevented from travelling.

I would remind everyone that we are discussing public transport no matter where we are sitting and such such we need to be able to cope with the public in all their manifestations.

michal1027
    Participant

I cannot agree with Binman62……yes Public transport….where certain people have paid a great deal more than other passengers…..for the space, for the peace and quiet and for the extra service….we are not talking about a subway ride, a bus ride to work……

As for ADHD….there is one simple word….medicate the child as prescribed by the attending physician…..it is not different with people that are afraid to fly and medicate themselves through their Doctor’s discretion…

RichHI1
    Participant

lloydah, total agreement. That is the point the I am trying to make that because children have energy and get bored on an aeroplane does not mean they have a medical disease.

Martyn, I am not saying they are out of place, i am speculating what is in the best interests of the children rather than simply looking at it from the perspective of the other passengers or the parents.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

I am not saying all the children who misbehave have ADHD but please be a bit more considerate to the parents or “handler”. My aunt has four lovely children (1 girl and 3 boys), all are well behaved except the 2nd youngest (boy) who if you met would swear came from another family, they have tried being very firm even using a smack, meds and even therapy!! all because of ADHD. He is actually very clever for his age and gets surprisingly high marks given his condition and excels at sport. My aunt has in the past cried her heart out to my mum and nan because she finds it so difficult to deal with him. They only fly short haul no longer than 3 hours flying and that is just about tolarble she would never risk going much further. If any of you have children i so pleased they are so perfect for you! Does any airline guarentee quiet zones or child free cabins? xx

RichHI1
    Participant

Michal1027 I am sure you are well intentioned however the adminstering of medication without referal to a qualified medical practioner is irresponsible, particularly in the case of children.

Becky, I sympathize with your situation and am glad that violence has been replaced by medical treatment. As well as medication and therapies there are coping mechanisms that the medical profession can advise and cold comfrt though it may be, I would recommend your Aunt pursues this option.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Rich – odds on that Michal’s friend is an adult. Anyone administering 1mg Xanax to a junior needs their heads examining.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Michal1027, dont tell me your friend is administering 1mg Xanax to a child?

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 385 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls