New Forum for Business Traveller

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 338 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Thank you for that – very interesting feedback.

I will certainly look into both of those things – the separation of reviews from the main thread (eg: having all the Emirates reviews separate from the main Emirates thread is a good idea but apparently very difficult to do.

Having said that, at the moment the reviews that are being submitted on seatplans are only being published on seatplans.com, not being fed automatically through to this forum (because of technical issues) so there are fewer reviews appearing – which is both good and bad.

JohnHarper
    Participant

I spent a few minutes with a Firefox add on called ‘remove this permanently’ making the pages much easier to read by simply removing the bits I don’t want. I also set my home page to the news page as I find the lay out of the current home page very difficult to read. If you set RIP to domain level the items will not appear on any page so clutter (sorry Tom) is reduced.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

As long as you are all print or digital subscribers, we’ll survive.

If not…

LuganoPirate
    Participant

When clicking on a link within a posters thread, can we have it so a new page opens? I prefer this to having to use the back button particularly if you’ve started to compose a reply, then click the link and when you go back your text has gone!

I also find the font in the text box to be very faint and hard to read, especially in daylight. On the old site the font was much darker.

Both of these should be possible through a “settings” tab but there does not seem to be one on the site.

Otherwise I’m enjoying the new forum, so well done to all, and fortunately do not have a problem with small text or “clutter”!

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=758484]As long as you are all print or digital subscribers, we’ll survive.

If not…

[/quote]

Maybe but I can’t help thinking it would have been easier for BT just to use one of the established forum softwares like phpBB or Proboards. Inexpensive and you benefit from other forums’ learnings.

Ps when you use “quote” why does the font go so small?

TominScotland
    Participant

My complaint is that starting a new thread/ conversation in the Forum is not obvious or intuitive. Anyone looking to do this for the first time will struggle…….

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

… they do, and then they email me to ask how, and I send them this link.

Start a new topic

If only we could get it fixed, I wail to myself….

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=758821]… they do, and then they email me to ask how, and I send them this link.

Starting a new topic

<iframe class=”wp-embedded-content” sandbox=”allow-scripts” security=”restricted” style=”position: absolute; clip: rect(1px, 1px, 1px, 1px);” src=”https://www.businesstraveller.com/forums/topic/starting-a-new-topic/embed/#?secret=LpBsscbkSj&#8221; data-secret=”LpBsscbkSj” width=”500″ height=”282″ title=”“Starting a new topic” — Business Traveller – The leading magazine for frequent flyers” frameborder=”0″ marginwidth=”0″ marginheight=”0″ scrolling=”no”></iframe>

If only we could get it fixed, I wail to myself….

[/quote]

The irony being that even your post/link causes the layout of the forum to go all funny. See attached.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Can I ask what you are viewing the forum in for it to go funny – it looks fine on all the screens I have here (PC, iPad and Android Mobile Phone).
    thanks
    Tom

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

[quote quote=758434]I have noticed that once one posts a link, the post cannot be edited. Is it deliberate?

[/quote]

I think you can edit your post for a short amount of time, but not then afterwards – this is to stop people posting, watching the replies and then altering it – troll behaviour, but it affects everyone.
    I will investigate – just putting a list of improvements together for costing.
    thank you

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=759114]Can I ask what you are viewing the forum in for it to go funny – it looks fine on all the screens I have here (PC, iPad and Android Mobile Phone).
    thanks
    Tom

[/quote]

Windows 10 laptop and LG android. Its the same on both.

Ahmad
    Participant

Thank you for replying Tom. Blocking edits after a period of time is fine. The issue I have faced more than once is that the edit button disappears if I add an attachment. Most of the time I need to edit to correct typos, especially when using my mobile because of the blessed auto correct feature when it completely changes what I have written when I press the space bar (yes I hate it but can’t live without it!). This is not a big issue, I just wanted to check whether the restriction on editing was deliberate or a flaw in the software. In future, I will just spend time proof reading my post more carefully before pressing send. Don’t know whether it is worth throwing money on.

Must add that the new site is a tremendous improvement over the old one in terms of things one can do/search. But as with all things new, it will take a bit of getting used to, particularly for the technically challenged like me.

MrMichael
    Participant

Must confess I have the same problem, predictive text drives me to insanity. I know there is a way to turn the wretched thing off, but unfortunately I don’t know it! Some examples of the rediculous things it changes are …….ridiculous to redo lupo and the word “way” to “eat”. I am sure if I just accepted the changes it makes you would all think I was absolutely barking! So I too often have to change my post after posting to ensure it is not the ramblings of a total moron.

Question for the weekend, even after the changes am I still barking? 🙂

SimonS1
    Participant

Looks like the spammers are back then. 55 new spam posts in about 25 minutes, that must be better than the record set on the old forum.

Surely there is a way this stuff can be blocked.

canucklad
    Participant

Indeed Simon
    Having said that I’m now a proud owner of a brand new sexy BMW, and all for a cracking price of 79 dollars.
    UPS are happily going to deliver it straight to my drive way in the next 72 hours…So thanks Chinese spammers

Bugger, I’ve forgot——I don’t own a driveway !! Need to sort out a refund, now where’s my sort code and bank account number.

And on a serious note BT team, is there a link between me not being a robot and my sudden urge to learn Mandarin ?

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 338 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls