New Forum for Business Traveller

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 331 through 338 (of 338 total)

• Henryp1
    Participant

[quote quote=814958]There is a very simple solution if BT were prepared & more importantly, allowed to hold the information.

A certified copy of a passport and a business card – 2 items I would imagine every single one of us can easily obtain.

Underneath our Forum handle a very simple “BT verified” stamp. This should all be 100% voluntary.

I admit this is not likely to increase the fabulous forum content we all benefit from, but it should remove the credibility of some of the more questionable / imaginative posts…

I would have absolutely no issue at all with BT verifying my ID in this manner….

I see this as a halfway house to making the Forum more credible, without reducing access to anybody around the world who reads the Forum…

[/quote]

While it would give BT the ability to ‘verify’ who is who, it can’t guarantee that the information posted is accurate or up to date. A particular poster might be an expert on a matter not connected to their profession, which nobody would know about. Knowing that a poster is ‘verified’ on an anonymous forum does not prevent blagging and business cards with job titles can be very misleading unless there has been due diligence which is repeated at regular intervals.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

While it would give BT the ability to ‘verify’ who is who, it can’t guarantee that the information posted is accurate or up to date. A particular poster might be an expert on a matter not connected to their profession, which nobody would know about. Knowing that a poster is ‘verified’ on an anonymous forum does not prevent blagging and business cards with job titles can be very misleading unless there has been due diligence which is repeated at regular intervals.

So how would you take a step forward to building trust, Henryp1?

NTarrant
    Participant

I like Martyn’s idea of “BT verified ” to give credibility.

As FDOS rightly pointed out that some years ago I was subjected to a poster who thought it was fair game to investigate me. Not that verification would stop that.

PatJordan
    Participant

I would have no quibble about “BT Verified” in principle.

However, trust is something that is built up over a period of time, and there is quite a wide circle of regular posters who have come to know and trust each other’s point of view. I’m not really sure if being “BT Verified” would really enhance my credibility in the eyes of regular forum users.

Also, there would be a cost factor in adding the features suggested. Given that we enjoy this forum compliments of BT, and that there has been considerable investment in the new forum already, is it reasonable to expect BT to incur additional costs?

SimonS1
    Participant

Sorry to say I can’t think of many if any forums that do this. Principally because most forums are about opinions, and being a ‘verified user’ doesn’t automatically make content accurate.

Aside of that I won’t be handing over passport copies and whatnot in this day and age without being certain who will be holding the information and how.

Finally I would be wary of creating the slightly cliquey environment that exists on FT where certain posters try to control the flow of information and many newbies get burnt off by forensic analysis.

Henryp1
    Participant

[quote quote=814987]Sorry to say I can’t think of many if any forums that do this. Principally because most forums are about opinions, and being a ‘verified user’ doesn’t automatically make content accurate.

Aside of that I won’t be handing over passport copies and whatnot in this day and age without being certain who will be holding the information and how.

Finally I would be wary of creating the slightly cliquey environment that exists on FT where certain posters try to control the flow of information and many newbies get burnt off by forensic analysis.

[/quote]

+ 1

mkcol74
    Participant

[quote quote=814958]There is a very simple solution if BT were prepared & more importantly, allowed to hold the information.

A certified copy of a passport and a business card – 2 items I would imagine every single one of us can easily obtain.

Underneath our Forum handle a very simple “BT verified” stamp. This should all be 100% voluntary.

I admit this is not likely to increase the fabulous forum content we all benefit from, but it should remove the credibility of some of the more questionable / imaginative posts…

I would have absolutely no issue at all with BT verifying my ID in this manner….

I see this as a halfway house to making the Forum more credible, without reducing access to anybody around the world who reads the Forum…

[/quote]

Nice enough idea @MartynSinclair but not all of us have/need business cards – so what next? My views are seen as less credible? Or do I have to go to Moo to get one created.

I just feel this is all getting more complicated that it ought to be. Either take someone’s point at face value & believe it, or not. But don’t go getting your collective knickers wound up when they differ!

Flightlevel
    Participant

mkcol74, you are right, we can provide facts and reasonable opinions and mostly the BT forum works well, when avoiding insults! K.I.S.S. is a good rule and posters (and BA and AZ) should remember that reputation walks in the door slowly – and leaves in a Ferrari!

Viewing 8 posts - 331 through 338 (of 338 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls