New Forum for Business Traveller

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 338 total)

• icenspice
    Participant

[quote quote=755489]OK, well we put in the ability to thank people because it was a request from users.

As an experiment, I’ve turned it off, along with how many replies each user has made.

You can still find this out by clicking on the user – it’s useful if you want to know a little about how long someone has been around.

Let’s see what everyone else thinks

[/quote]

I am all for this, Tom.

Just one observation: I think 25 threads on the homepage is 5 or even 10 too many, although some will disagree I’m sure.

MrMichael
    Participant

I tend to disagree here, I like thanking people, and I liked seeing how many posts people have made, particularly if first one, or only in the one thread where they are banging on and on about the same minor hiccup like their world has ended because their fake Burberry (Chavez) scarf is in their baggage and they got it 48 hours after they arrived and the airline did not even offer to buy them a new real Burberry scarf. 🙂

icenspice
    Participant

Good evening MrMichael

What happened to the traditional way of thanking someone? Yes, I have used that button quite a lot but usually because a post had me rolling on the floor with laughter!

And does anyone care how many posts a poster has posted? Quantity does not equate to quality …

Why is this thread tagged Doha?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I also do not think the number of posts made are relevant. As a suggestion perhaps a colour code by the poster’s name..

Orange for a first timer up to say 10 posts

Green for more than 10 posts

Yellow where the poster is known to the BT team

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I like the new forum and although there was a small learning curve to negotiate, it is IMO a great improvement over the old one. Edited to add that I view the forum on a laptop, so may be missing some of the tablet/smartphone frustrations.

The need to register a new password (or perhaps a BT cull of acocunts) does seem to have resulted in a decimation of the Nihilist population and the tone of the new place is pleasant and inclusive – even MrMichael and I can air our differences of opinion in a reasonable way, without a bunch of yobbos jumping in to try and turn a debate into a knife-fight.

What we seem to be short of, is new and interesting content and that relies on us posters, as well as BT.

I’ll try to start a couple of interesting threads in the next week and hope some others can, too.

MrMichael
    Participant

Thanks FDOS, I rather enjoy our debates.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I also liked the “thanks” button. It shows you agree and saves having to type +1 in a reply.

Almost all my posts come from my Samsung Tab and personally I find the layout fine.

JohnHarper
    Participant

This may be my eyes are not as good as they used to be sort of thing.

I’ve just read Tom’s excellent review of the Cathay A350 service however I am finding articles difficult to read. I don’t know whether it’s the font that doesn’t seem as clear as it might be or something to do with white space.

Is anyone else having an issue?

ABBA.

NTarrant
    Participant

Although I will be paying a visit to SpecSavers this week when I’m back, I too have a bit of difficulty with the forum, although the A350 article was ok. I find the use of just 2/3rds of the page a distraction. A lot of the time the remaining third is just white space. Anything you can do about that Tom?

DavidGordon10
    Participant

1. Could the more structured reviews of a particular airline or whatever cross reference to other less structured posts that are relevant? I wrote a short note about Aeromexico the other day, not a full review, but that might be of interest to the next person choosing Aeromexico, but my note does not appear in the “airlines” list.

2. FDOS puts in a request for “new and interesting content” so I will start a thread on “most useless travel advice you have ever been given”.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

[quote quote=756957]Although I will be paying a visit to SpecSavers this week when I’m back, I too have a bit of difficulty with the forum, although the A350 article was ok. I find the use of just 2/3rds of the page a distraction. A lot of the time the remaining third is just white space. Anything you can do about that Tom?

[/quote]

Well, I hope so. The difficulty is that the website was designed “mobile first”, which means phone first, and probably second would be laptops / desktops. It seems to work on most mobile phones and computer browsers, but tablets are more difficult. Without boring on too long about the reasons, not all tablets are created equally, and the website renders according the the resolution of your device. Most tablets are regarded as mobile phones -so no problems, but ipad’s have a high resolution, and don’t. In landscape mode they render like a laptop – so that’s usually not too bad, but in portrait they cause all sorts of problems wand I know it’s my least favourite way of looking at the new website.

The difficulty is in changing this, since every change affects every other device and browser.

We are looking at having a fresh design (or “skin”) on the website – nothing major, but which will help a lot of this, but I haven’t got a date for that at the moment.

Tom

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

[quote quote=756967]1. Could the more structured reviews of a particular airline or whatever cross reference to other less structured posts that are relevant? I wrote a short note about Aeromexico the other day, not a full review, but that might be of interest to the next person choosing Aeromexico, but my note does not appear in the “airlines” list.

2. FDOS puts in a request for “new and interesting content” so I will start a thread on “most useless travel advice you have ever been given”.

[/quote]

Thank you for 2.
    I’m sorry but I’m not sure what you mean for 1. Do you mean cross referencing between editorial pieces and the forum threads for a particular airline? The tag system doesn’t work that way (because this forum is a piece of plug-in software). I could do it manually, but I’d have to be notified it was a good idea (eg: by request). Or perhaps I’m misunderstanding…

NTarrant
    Participant

Thanks Tom

Ahmad
    Participant

I have noticed that once one posts a link, the post cannot be edited. Is it deliberate?

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=756957]Although I will be paying a visit to SpecSavers this week when I’m back, I too have a bit of difficulty with the forum, although the A350 article was ok. I find the use of just 2/3rds of the page a distraction. A lot of the time the remaining third is just white space. Anything you can do about that Tom?

[/quote]

I agree with this. I find the forum a lot more of a strain visually than before. Personally I think this is because there is too much other clutter around – for example down the left side I can see polls, the latest magazine, a list of things on the forum etc. Underneath is about tags, attachments etc. Across the top is a large grey border with links.

The amount of space taken up by the actual articles is no more than a third of the page. It’s a bit better on my mobile but I try not to spend time peering at a 7 inch screen.

Why not just remove all the clutter and it would be a lot better (I’ve tried to attach screen prints to show what I mean).

Also in days gone by there was a good system of separating reviews from general articles. Could this be reinstated?

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 338 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls