KLM New Business Class

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 115 total)
  • Hello Marcus

Do you know when the Fokker 70s will be replaced? At least they are a step up from the Fokker 50s previously used on the Luxembourg route.

Edski777
    Participant

KLM just ordered 6 Embraer E190’s as a first replacement of F70 jets.
    They will be delivered before mid 2014.

MarcusUK
    Participant

Hi Alexpo1.

Thanks Edski…
    here is the link from KLM Corporate, re the Embraer’s.

http://nieuws.klm.com/klm-cityhopper-signs-deal-for-six-new-embraer-190-aircraft/

It makes KLM the largest operator in Europe of these aircraft, with the eventual plan to dispose of all Fokker 70’s

Thanks Marcus and Edski

Interesting to read that KLM ‘will continue to fly them (F70) in its network for some years ahead’.

Let’s hope the E190 makes an appearance here!

MarcusUK
    Participant

KLM fly them into LHR on several flights a day.
    I flew on one last week from LHR 14.55hr flight. They do mix strangely, 737’s (8/900’s) F70’s, and the Embraer 190’s on the LHR route each day.
    The flight i took was completely full, but of course it offers little benefit choosing Business Class on these flights, as little space and seating benefits.

If Cityjet are sold, KLM could run Embraer’s into LCY -AMS if they take back that route with their slots.?

Edski777
    Participant

Marcus,

I wonder if KLM sells Cityjet wouldn’t it include the routes and slots?
    And if so wouldn’t the new Cityjet owners include an arrangement that AF/KL can’t operate these routes for a certain time?

If they don’t what would be the benefit to new Cityjet owners? In that case they only get some used aircraft and disgruntled personnel.

TominScotland
    Participant

MarcusUK

That was a lovely and loving statement of loyalty to KLM – thank you. With this quality of support, I think Pope Franciis should be considering fast track corporate Canonisation for the airline……

I recently flew KLM for the first time for quite a while – no much had changed which was fine as predictability is something i always associated with the airline. I will be using the I/C Lounge at Schipol tomorrow on our return flight so look forward to this wonderful place and the fabulous food – there must have been a big change from the fine but very workmanlike place I remember from past visits. Looking forward to it. I will review the experience and report back.

We have spent the past week in the Netherlands as tourists and travelled around a fair amount – really enjoyed it all except Amsterdam where wonderful locations rubbed shoulders with tourist tat, and cafes/ bars seem to be more interested in rip-off than service And the litter – as bad as any UK city!! We had one of the best taster menu dining experiences I have ever had in The Hague last night, but generally service seems to be casual and inconsistent in most places – forgetfulness seems to be the norm when you ask for something at the table!!

Gibble34
    Participant

The pictures look great I agree.

I fly KLM a lot….mainly intra-Europe, with my FB Plat coming mainly from Delta long-haul (BusElite).
    I’m not going to go overboard like some of the comments above on their quality. The Fokkers are fairly good for their age and generally pretty clean, but I wouldn’t say spotless and there are still plenty of them……no way are they nearly all replaced as claimed. Lounges in Schengen zone are indeed like a motorway service area (and as busy), but I do agree the airport itself is normally pretty efficient.

BUT. I would never, can never (again) fly KLM WBC until there is an absolute guarantee of these new seats. I flew it once and the hard-product is just so appalling that I simply won’t do it again. Service great no question, but the problem is the jump is so high between the current offering and these the rollout really needs to be much quicker. For sure though a step in the right direction!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

For all you fans of KLM there was an interesting piece posted on anna.aero.

AMS-LHR is by far and away KLM’s busiest route.

http://www.anna.aero/2013/08/07/klm-possibly-europes-most-stable-airline/

MarcusUK
    Participant

Hi folks.

Interesting points…
    The link above i posted shows that KLM has 19 Fokker 70’s, but with Embraer 190’s 6 more will arrive and the Fokker numbers will deplete, with the overall renewal in place. Interesting the group have the largest fleet of them in Europe.

Edski…
    I think the CityJet issue is complex, as Alex has indicated too.
    KLM had their own slots running Fokker 50’s before, then VLM took them over with a codeshare, then Cityjet on behalf of AF.
    Who owns the slots now would be complex. Little info on whether Cityjet will operate still as it lost £8.1 Million in 2012.
    How could be turned around staying the same?
    I hope KLM have slots and take back their own feeder flights to AMS, they are often full with a mix of business and leisure travellers these days, some travelling onwards via AMS and KLM.

If AF/KLM own the slots and are selling Cityjet, then it is up to them how they sell, and what is included in the package.

Tom…
    I really have seen huge transitions in KLM in the last years. We all know The Dutch approach to Business, and it involves very democratic leadership. KLM staff often refer to it as a “Family”, and the reason the staff are happy and genuine, is they are well looked after and have a great say in how the Company goes, ideas to help etc. I know several Pursers, and so i know how it works from them.
    Good you enjoy Dutchness for your trip…I have an apartment there and share between London and Amsterdam, so i get a good insight into both styles of life.

I have also seen almost their entire European fleet renewed in the last 5 years. 772’s 773’s, and A333’s arriving, All they are well maintained and impressively always sparkling clean outside. The European Lounge at Schiphol is not as great as the Intercontinental we can use to n from the UK, but there are far worse lounges in the UK and around Europe from other Airlines.

AF / KLM have just had a huge Directorship change, and the transform 2015 plan is mid way, and showing good results.
    There is little money around with the European Airlines to do much at the moment, surviving is the aim and concern. So i think small but effective changes, lateral thinking and innovations of KLM are to be praised, and supported.
    Equally, if other Airlines did this, i would support them the same, but in Europe, they are not.

Alex M…
    Thanks as always for the interesting links and info.
    I think when BMI pulled out of LHR – AMS, the BA and KLM had a better share. KLM clearly carry a lot of people onwards via Schiphol, which BA would not in reverse in the same way. They have tailored their flights mixing 737 7/8/9 00’s, a Fokker 70 and Embraer 190’s each day, with 12 flights daily.
    They always seem pretty busy, still keeping £99 return fares, but the 4 yr ago 10 rows of C class, is down to 2-5 rows these days!

But KLM are doing what they can, with tight constraints. Slow it may be, but it is happening, and lots of things have for the last 5 years.
    They are now a Skytrax 4 * Airline i see…and a well known brand for the UK. Which other European Airline is so well known, or serves the UK as well?

Alex, keep us posted on Cityjet and LCY, could be a huge issue for the airport in terms of what is done with them, they have a majority of slots there!

Vertrek
    Participant

A picture compilation of KLM New WBC cabin in action.
    Enjoy! 🙂

http://tinyurl.com/lo3fp57

MartynSinclair
    Participant

If I knew I was guaranteed this level of hard product to BKK, it would get my serious attention. Looking at the space and comfort of those seats, makes me wonder how some airlines can market a product as First Class!

Well done KLM, I look forward to testing the bed!

CXDiamond
    Participant

It looks excellent, the config in the nose of the 747 puts BA F to shame and rightly so.

MarcusUK
    Participant

there are 3 different Business Class seats being used.
    I travelled on a 777 -300ER recently which has a seat that reclines into a shell, and returned unfortunately, on a 772, that had the old recliner, that falls back to the person behind, right above the feet!

Lets hope that we know more clearly which routes do and do not have the new fully flat seats and cabins. This is the problem with slow adaptation of Airline fleets, thought the 772’s are next I believe. However, I agree with all on here, the the space in the cabin and seat design will greatly improve KLM’s offering.

Also, KLM will begin replacing its Fokker 70’s this winter, with 6 new Embraer 190’s, as announced on KLM corporate, alone with expansion plans for The winter Schedule.

http://nieuws.klm.com/en/klm-winterdienstregeling-2013–2014-en/

KLM itself makes profit these days, but it let down by the Air France side of the group, that has these figures buried on the overall group results!
    It would be good to see exactly who does well and who does not, more openly, by listing each side of the group financial results.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

“there are 3 different Business Class seats being used” – presume the odds are better than 3-1 for BKK??

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 115 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls