Iris recognition

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 132 total)

• claredankj
    Participant

i came through gatwick yesterday
    my husband and i were the only two using the iris scanner and we only had hand lugage so it was easy
    shame about the LONG walk from getting off the plane,
    it’s not like that on carribean routes
    hey ho you can’t have it all your own way !!!

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

Arrived Heathrow T3 on Singapores A380 this morning at 6-00am and both wife and I were most pleased to use IRIS again.
    Out of 500 odd passengers it appears only 6 of us were aware of the system but it may have been something to do with so many exhausted travellers completing the ‘route march’ from the planes arrival point…..

BAA seems to like to keep their punters fit…By the right …quick march….

AlanReynolds1
    Participant

IRIS again out of order at 08.45 at Gatwick North. Immigration officer when asked by me pretended not to know (though there was a board in the corridor saying out of order). His attitude was pretty could not care less. I presume the system will if it is ever allowed to function as intended will do this guy out of a job. Does that lie behind the staff attitude?

RHMAngel
    Participant

Well two benefits working or not.

If it works = you get through quicker (luggage is another thread/whinge)

If it doesn’t = you’ll notice you queue jump into the queue (nearest the scanner) into the ‘normal’ passport control gate. Thereby annoying those who have queued. This quirk was noticed by a business traveller mate of mine. So one should be pleased either way… of course this is at Heathrow, at other airports, if its not working they might send you to the back of the normal queue, but normally officials take pity, the equipment ain’t working, and move you to the nearest next queue, in FRONT of people, rarely if ever, make you go to the back. So my fellow travellers/friends give iris scanning a thumbs up, working or not 😉

Just experience of watching and friends….respect others’ experience may be different.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I actually can’t remember a non-functioning Iris machine in the past six months – but maybe I’ve been lucky.

Noted that there are now signs clearly stating that the system can no longer be used by under 18s (though I thought ’twas ever thus)

trident3
    Participant

Could they really only stretch to 1 x Iris machine in the fancy new LHR T1 arrivals? What a joke…

VintageKrug
    Participant

There are two issues at play here:

1 – Unions not keen on having their jobs replaced by machines which do the job just as well, if not better

2 – The possibility that the technology will be replaced by another system in the not too distant medium term

The first excuse is unacceptable, the second I give some credence to.

flyingbunny
    Participant

Saturday arriving in T3 first time IRIS has let me down in front of massive queue. Mortifed. It’s been about two years since I registered. I seem to remember something about two years when I agreed for the authorities to have my details. Do I have to re-register? Or was I just having a bad eye day?

SimonRowberry
    Participant

It may be a daft question, but does anyone know whether one can use IRIS if one wears contact lenses? Thanks.

Munkyboi
    Participant

Yes of course you can!

OPebble
    Participant

The two years was, ISTR, the non-use limit.

OPebble
    Participant

I do all the time!

Mirrored sun glasses do give the system a problem however! 🙂

AGilchrist
    Participant

Since posting below on 26 November 2008, I have arrived at both LHR and LGW on 9 occasions and not once have I been able to use the machines, I have been close a couple of times, they even got me on my knees at one point as it decided I should use the lowest screen, but still had to give up.

I have given up now, there is no point in even trying anymore yet I have no issues in other countries when I use their e-gates !

Munkyboi
    Participant

Have you tried querying with the IRIS registration centre at the airport? They can run a test to see if its correctly registering you. I had problems in the beginning, but in the last year I dont recall it being out of action at either LHR (T3/5) or LGW.

OneA
    Participant

It is a hit and miss affair; it seems to work at LHR 3 out of 5 times for me for T4 and T5. My wife and daughter are also registered…….and now some numbskull has decided that you have to be 18 to use it so my daughter cannot use it as she is only 16. However, I expect that as the whole organisation is so badly run, she would be able to pitch up and get through as I doubt anyone has had the technical ability to get the IRIS scanner to check the birthdate of the passeneger and deny passage if under 18!
    BHX has the best scanner. It is rarely switched on and both the entry and exit gates are open…….you can walk straight into the UK unchallenged!! Much better than hanging onto a lorry axle for 3 days!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 132 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls