Iris recognition

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 132 total)

• TerryMcManus24
    Participant

Bit of Info.from Borders Control & Immigration.

IRIS is a means of border control that allows registered passengers to enter the United Kingdom quickly through automated barriers at certain airports. It makes use of the fact that the pattern of the iris in each person’s eye (the coloured part of the eye) is unique. This makes it possible for a person to be identified simply by looking into a special camera.

Iris recognition is a form of biometrics that is a fast, secure and fraud-resistant way to check a person’s identity. Biometrics is the science of using digital technology to recognise a person from a physical characteristic (for example a fingerprint or iris pattern) or another unique personal characteristic (for example a voice pattern or handwriting).

The IRIS system uses a photograph of the iris pattern, converts it into a digital code and then compares it with others stored in a secure database. When it matches the captured iris pattern with the corresponding one on the database and the registration is still valid, that person can enter the United Kingdom by passing through the IRIS barrier located in the immigration arrival hall.

It usually takes between five and 10 minutes to register for IRIS. A registered traveller entering the United Kingdom can cross an IRIS barrier in about 20 seconds.

IRIS is operating at the following United Kingdom airports:

all five Heathrow terminals;
    Manchester terminals 1 and 2;
    Birmingham terminal 1; and
    Gatwick North and South terminals.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/managingborders/technology/iris/

schofs.com
    Participant

I used the IRIS at Gatwick North terminal today… even though there was a sign on it saying I couldn’t use it after 1st October. Anyone know anything about this?

Business Traveller replies:

We checked this out with the Home Office and it only applies to those under the age of 18. From the start of October they must proceed through normal passport control. The Home Office says that this makes up three per cent of IRIS users. IRIS service continues as normal for all other users.

schofs.com
    Participant

Ah that’d be it – thanks

BrumTraveller
    Participant

I use the IRIS at Birmingham T1 on a weekly basis and have never had any problems. The only issue was trying to register for the scheme in the first place. The opening hours are ridiculously short, particularly as I tend to be flying out on early morning planes when it is not open. When I did go to register there was no-one there and I had to call a telephone number and wait for half an hour before someone appeared to deal with the registration.

The only time I have flown through Purgatory (sorry Heathrow!) since I registered, the machine was out of action. So BHX is my only experience of IRIS.

AlanReynolds1
    Participant

At Gatwick yesterday (15 Oct) the IRIS gate was being repaired. I was directed to join the queue. When I commented to the official that it would be nice to have two gates so only one need be taken out of action for servicing, he said that the gate was being removed entirely soon. Has anyone else been told this?

Busniess
    Participant

Unfortunately, iris recognition at border controls gives drug smuggers something of a carte blanche. As experienced at Schiphol (Amsterdam, the Netherlands), couriers now no longer have to buy a plane ticket that they don’t intend to use, just so that they can enter the controlled area. Once inside, they can meet somebody who is transiting through the airport and pick up a package. They still have to pass customs, though
    ———————————————-
    Anna jennifer
    Promoter

excessbaggage
    Participant

Just used IRIS for the first time today – worked like a dream! I arrived into Heathrow T1 at around 6am and it was open, there was no-one in front of me, and i found the whole thing very easy to use.

If i had one crticism it’s that after it scanned my eyes, it took around 10-15 seconds before the doors opened, and i began to think it had not worked – a note saying “Please wait while we verify your details” or similar would have been helpful.

Of couse all the time i saved was wiped out by the 25-minute wait for my baggage to arrive – maybe in the future we could scan our eyes at the carousels to let officials know we are waiting?…

Sara Turner

I used Iris at T5 yesterday for the first time. It was very quick, took only one attempt, and my luggage was waiting for me on the other side. Excellent.

pkrejchrt
    Participant

I understand the Iris is closed indefinitely due to lack of security-cleared staff to man access to the gates. A sad situation as Iris is often quicker than the manual check at T2.

JulieSavill
    Participant

Here Here

CBaker2
    Participant

Have used IRIS when returning through T5 and Gatwick – both times with no problem or queues, each time being the first at the luggage carousel – at Gatwick last week it was already there waiting for us!

AGilchrist
    Participant

Since registering I have arrived at both LGW and LHR on 6 occasions only ever being able to use the system once and even that was a farce as I had to bend down as it was only working on the bottom one. The system is a disaster and I dont see the point to even trying any more.

jeremyf
    Participant

The T5 Iris (a pair of them) have been open and working each time I’ve been through recently – and oddly, no queue and very few others using it, far less than I remember at T1.

And now I know to take my glasses off, it seems reliable.

teribaby
    Participant

Iris was not working at 10am Sunday Novermber 23, 2008 in the north terminal at Gatwick.
    The immigation officer told me that the technicians are aware and are working on it.
    This has been the only time so far that it was not working on my arrival, and luckly I was one of the first passengers off the aircraft and was able to cut over quickly to see an officer.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 132 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls