Iris recognition

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 132 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

if IRIS is being replaced (as oppose to updated), has it been considered a success or failure. I wonder what the cost has been? The e-passport scanner, is this going to enable all Euro passport holders to “Fast Track” or just UK passport holders. Its just that in every other location that I have seen passport readers, it applies only to that countries nationals, why do I get the feeling that in PC Britain, that this is going to be open house “Fast Track” to all and sundry!???

jasonr01
    Participant

I hope they do not intend to replace IRIS as i find it works well for me. Occasionally in Terminal 5 there is only one working but on the whole I think it is worth wile.
    I do have one question,as a frequent business traveller and if I have two passports due to the countries I visit can both Passports be registered or just one. I assume immigration keep an eye out on who’s coming and going?
    I currently only have one passport registered for IRIS and would use normal showing of passport to immigration for the other passport but just curious

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

I spoke to the guys who run the system at T5 on last visit and they mentioned that the time lap period of “non use” recognition was 2 Years.

Also recently had a cateract operation (implant) and was assured that it would be OK.even gave me a check on their office scanner…..and on return it was……

AlanReynolds1
    Participant

My wife and I were only users in Gatwick South single IRIS machine lunchtime Tuesday (inbound with Easyjet from Poland). There are machines to read trhe new passports. Most intra-EU travellers dont need passports as all but 4 of the 27 are now in Schengen area. We, the suspicious Brits, are not. Instinctively I feel that IRIS which matches with a part of my body should be less easy to cheat than a match with a piece of paper I am carrying.

Manchester airport is currently trialling a new iris recognition system (for in-terminal use rather than at immigration) called Biometrics In Motion. The technology is capable of recognising passengers’ irises while they walk around the terminal.

The full article can be read here:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/manchester-airport-trials-a-biometrics-in-motio

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I am all in favour of this sort of screening. I can just see a 7 page document being prepared for all passengers to sign when entering airport terminals to advise then of the data protection issues in relation to all the images being taken. There was an interesting post on CNN this week where a passenger recorded his objection to going through an imaging system (obviously he didnt reach the gate). I hope we take a more pragmatic view to the security searches and dont end up like America, where everything seems to be surrounded in litigation.

CBaker2
    Participant

Just a comment – we used Iris on Sunday at T3 and all went through swiftly with no problems – a first?

Swissdiver
    Participant

At T5 this morning, Iris worked properly. It is interesting to note however they introduced in parallel an automated biometric passport control service (that I didn’t use obviously).

robsmith100
    Participant

how does one go about registering to be able to use the IRIS recognition service?

Swissdiver
    Participant

robsmith: at T5, there is a little office on the main floor (i.e. the one where security is). Just ask these guys after the screening, they will let you know.

OPebble
    Participant

You register airside. At T5 the room is just after S Security opposite Harrods.

At T3 it is after “passport control” and before Travelex.

Can’t help with T2 or T4.

andrew.gill
    Participant

IRIS didn’t work so well at T1 yesterday (April 14th) as the American lady ‘stuck’ inbetween the gates will vouch.

She’d been scanned, told ok, but the gates didn’t open for her to exit, but they did show it was ok for me to enter, so I walked towards it, opening the gates and she was able to leave.

We both went to the biometric gates – if only that screen had a way of making you look less tired and less like you over indulged 😉

best

andrew

Sara Turner

I used Iris at T5 on Wednesday morning. Straight through, no queue. Great. Bags weren’t so swift, though…

RHMAngel
    Participant

“You register airside. At T5 the room is just after S Security opposite Harrods.
    At T3 it is after “passport control” and before Travelex”

OK my Friday gripe. Over a period of 18 months, endless various travel at T3 & T5 – I have never ONCE managed to “enrol” 🙁

Last time in T3, staff were just outright rude, to honest. “Opening times” – ABC.
    Knock knock – went in – “sorry we’re closed”…. “but sign says open, so do the hours”. We’re closed Madam…but people are in here…Yes, but we’re closed” – why ? because we just are…when are you open again…. “don’t know…”

All other times, locked during “opening hours”. Why are the enrollement offices only air-side ??

Bad luck you say, on every trip out… so I try T5 … and what would know… “closed” during “opening hours”… why ?! (slightly politer answer & staff than T3) “ah no one to staff it today”.

BAA – get your staff and act together, and send those staff on a “charm & politeness course” while you’re at it.

Only bonus my friends & colleagues who have been lucky to enrol is that when it doesn’t work, you queue jump to the line nearest those machines… which annoys alot of other passengers, but that’s the way things go… when it works (miracle of all miracles) indeed its 2 minutes I hear and out… good when you have only hand luggage on biz trips.

Otherwise, FANTASTIC IDEA… but Minority Report type tech, me thinks will be next century ….

Maclaren
    Participant

Iris scan machine in T4 was down again on 5 May 2011 – none of the Border Agency personnel knew anything about when it would be back up .. and they had no idea whom I should call to find out; the control booth officer said ..”I have’nt been trained in that yet”! All I asked him was whom I could contact, not to actually go and fix it. Anyone been through T4 in last few days? Is machine working?

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 132 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls