Iris recognition

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 132 total)

• AussieM
    Participant

Schipol Privium Vs UK Iris…

I have now my Privium for Amsterdam for the 3rd yr, Euros 99.
    I havent ever been unable to use it. It does mean you are through from 30 seconds, never a queue, fast track crew/Privium between Schengen & Non areas if transferring, & a Privium lounge prior tyo airside if you want it also.

LHR is a 50-50 chance at T4, you have to walk far end at T3, & it appears to be powered by a very unmotivated donkey somewhere dark & unseen. Its like Russian Roulette knowing which one of 3 cameras will appear, God forbid yr head or eyes not being straight that day! I have seen many people get “Stuck” & have to be bailed out all red faced & then queue manually.
    As Schipol compared to LHR, as Dutch Vs British Management, they reflect the efficiency & technology of the nature of both countries, & both airports in their Iris systems, perfectly!!!

LondonGuy
    Participant

Hey guys,

I flew into London Heathrow T3 this afternoon (16.00) on an international flight with Virgin. I was out of the airport with my bags within 15 minutes of leaving the plane! I’ve flown twice since registering and have been able to use IRIS both times (though I am quite short so don’t have an issue even if it is the bottom viewer).

IRIS is amazing and I am incredibly impressed with the speed of the bags getting to the carousel! Can’t believe I’m saying this but thank you BAA!

pkrejchrt
    Participant

Having recently experienced difficulties using IRIS at T2, I queried whether my profile was still active. I was told the T2 IRIS machine is particulalry tempermanetal and that the greeter should always offer rejected IRIS passengers a fast track to an immigration officer. This did not happen on 28th December, the closest officer retorted with a “getin the queue like everyone else”. A great welcome back or great welcome to investing in the country. I await a repsonse from IND on why this happened having spoken to the senior immigration officer, who was most apologetic. Unfortuantely this being a public sector enterprise that is all they can offer and an apology after queuing for 20 minutes is not all it’s cracked up to be.

LondonGuy
    Participant

I have used IRIS twice in the past 2 months – once on Dec 21st and once on Jan 4th.

Dec 21st – used the T3 IRIS and no problem what so ever as reported earlier.

Jan 4th – used the T5 IRIS and found out what causes so many of the IRIS problems.

It is stupid people who think that they can evade the long immigration queues and get into a country by simply having their eyes scanned! There were 4 people who tried to use it (only 2 of them got the chance) and buggered the system up. They were then asked if they’d registered to which they gave dumbfounded “oh, do I have to register” looks. They were promptly told to join the long queue and stop wasting other peoples time.

The immigration folk then rebooted the system and in the meantime got one officer to open up a fast track line for those waiting.In the meantime, the system rebooted and I was the 3rd person through. There was a couple in front of me who decided to join the normal queue and I got through IRIS just in front of them.

I admit that it took a bit longer than it normally would, but I managed to get through all the same.

LondonGuy
    Participant

It is 3 out of 3 for IRIS. And 3 different terminals too!

Flew into T1 yesterday and used IRIS. No problems at all with the system – only thing was that there was a shorter queue in the EU passports section than there was for IRIS! So colleagues I was travelling with got through quicker than I did – but I still think IRIS is well worth it for the times that you land at T3, 4 and 5 when 25 other international 747s and a couple of A380s have landed.

You’ll hear no complains from me on IRIS.

tiggerbrown
    Participant

Landed into LGW North on night of 19th Jan and IRIS still working fine for me – to the bemusement of a charter load of pax!

Cece_GP
    Participant

Last week I travel AMS – LGW. My Privium didn’t work both ways (I got a message that I coudn’t be recognised) whilst Iris is still working fine every time I land in the UK.

PS: wasted time going to the Iris office after a phone call where they advised my card could be damaged, only to discover that my card is fine, worked ok when tested and the explanation was that I had “bad luck” getting into two machines that didn’t work properly!!

claredankj
    Participant

it took a few tries to get myself sorted out with the iris scanner as the booth was closed but i have used it regularly since with no problems but you have to make sure your bags are in the booth and that you stand very still and concentrate of the window
    but my biggest laugh ever was when i was standing in a long queue prior to getting my iris sorted out when i commented to my husband look there is no one using the iris scanner (very frustrating as he had his done but wouldn’t go through without me) and a man behing me said to his wife i didn’t know they had a seperate line for the ‘irish’ here at heathrow …………

JoshuaP
    Participant

Very good. I always think everyone looks at you thinking you are something to do with the airlines or security – noone seems to click that they could also be waiting on the other side (for their bags) instead of on that side without their bags.

JoshuaP
    Participant

My wife and I came through Gatwick last night at around 7pm and the queues for immigration were huge (all the way back to the walkway). My wife had to wait in the queue and I went to IRIS to see how much quicker it was. There were around 6 people in front of me and about 60 people in front of my wife. This is when IRIS is slow – I was surprised to realise how slow it is – by the time I got through my wife only had two people in front of her (so I save around 1 minute). If there was one more person in front of me in the IRIS queue I would have taken longer than my wife. Worth noting.

jwhetstone
    Participant

Recently registered for IRIS, and went through gatwick immigration for the first time this weekend. The service was open, and there was no-one waiting, so even thouigh there was hardly anyone in the manned queues i thought i’d give it a go.

Follwed the instructions to the letter, and i’m convinced my eyes were positioned in the right place – but despite several orders to “move back”, it declined me, and as no-one seemed interested in helping me, i faced the humiliation of leaving that lane and going to the back of what was now a queue for the manned desks.

Shan’t be using it again.

sharmas3
    Participant

IRIS is good. Every time I have used it has been wonderful and quick alleviating the need to see a real person or wait around. I had no problems enrolling on IRIS either.

tiggerbrown
    Participant

Had the joy of popping through T5 last month – working fine there, but there were so many manned immigration desks that my travelling companion wasn’t far behind me to the baggage belt downstairs!

Business Traveller update:

The UK Border Agency has announced the extension of its facial recognition immigration scheme:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/facial-recognition-to-spell-the-end-for-iris

Has anyone used this system yet? What are your thoughts?

dhuka13
    Participant

IRIS is an excellent system I have been using it for 11 months now and have never had a problem.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 132 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls