Iris recognition

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 132 total)

• RossMac
    Participant

Manchester T2 IRIS works fine for me. Used many times coming back from US, when try and keep to hand luggage only. Queues can be horrific otherwise. Agree that main problem with IRIS is people who don’t seem to understand they need to get their eyes in those red circles, it’s not difficult. I registered at Heathrow T1.

AlanReynolds1
    Participant

Home Office may be losing faith in IRIS as a body-parts identity system but the ease with which the killers in Dubai borrowed UK identities and got genuine UK passports does not inspire much confidence in the Home Office’s paper-based identity system. So where does Home Office intend to go?

sky-rat
    Participant

I’ve had a generally positive time with IRIS– perhaps because I registered ages ago when it was all new and nobody knew about it so there was no registration wait. As a natural experiment, though, whenever flying with Mrs. Rat (red passport for the EU queue, but she never registered for Iris) it’ll tend to be me done and through first most of the time, even if one of the machines is broken. We almost always travel through LHR 1 or 3 or 5, though

MarcusUK
    Participant

In T4 it seems to be a source of entertainment watching those trying to get through these awkward machines. Unfortunately i am one!

I am in the Privium Scheme in Amsterdam so fast border & priority security there, & for a bit more a very futuristic lounge. You do pay Euros 109 a year though. But your card gets you through in 20 seconds, using one eye on one set camera.
    As usual, the UK has a version that is not reliable, badly managed & maintained, & a ridiculous need for 3 different level cameras on a screen. Users appear to be having epileptic seizures trying to move up down forwards backwards, & the doors look like they are powered by a couple of donkeys tempted by a carrot waived infront of them in another room!
    It Certainly makes the Dutch laugh at T4. It has become a standing joke my Dutch colleagues tell me when getting off the KLM flights, with Schipol as smooth as it is by comparison.

Perhaps The Dutch should run it for us?

alistairNicoll
    Participant

Why stop at the Dutch runing IRIS let them take over the whole of Heathrow

JulieSavill
    Participant

what a great idea – it might actually function as an airport then (although my preferance would be if the singaporeans could take over)

alistairNicoll
    Participant

Do you think that the UK is ready for an airport that is designed around the needs of passengers – it would be a bit of a revolution

CarolePurnell6
    Participant

Registered at Gatwick North, tried it on return flight – it didn’t work! Don’t know if this is faulty machine or my set up as partner went through OK. Used the passport scanner in the end.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I have had excellent experiences using Iris; only problem is that as more people become aware of it the lines are getting longer than those to see a person.

I still think electronic entry is the way forward; the UK should have Iris scans on exit too. I make a point of using the machines as I get the feeling the Immigration people are not too keen on them as they feel they will usurp their roles.

Nothing can replace properly trained Immigration people, but the day to day checking of regular flyers’ passports is outdated.

CBaker2
    Participant

Having said several times that I have had no problem with Iris at terminal 5, this morning it would not recognise me. The pleasant lady in immigration said it was because it was 7 months since I last used it and I would have to re-register (I have been in hospital so a rather long gap). However, my husband, who had the identical time gap to myself, went straight through so I cannot see how it can be the time between uses.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I am amazed how some people wear really thick lenses and the Iris machine still works………….technology eh………..great, pity they wont be using it for the world cup on S. Africa (goal line)!

JulieSavill
    Participant

Coming back through T3 from New York the other week and iris machines not working AGAIN. Luckily when we asked why they directed us to the fast track que – not their remit apparently, guess the company that operates them doesnt work past 5pm. It really is a joke.

gogobill747
    Participant

Now everyone can create an ISO standard passport photo online at the comfort of your home.

http://www.yearbookandpassportphoto.com

tiggerbrown
    Participant

Came thru LHR T4 Monday eve and the only IRIS scanner was working fine…..but there were also 3 other fancy looking machines which I guess must do the same right beside it all cordoned off from being used. Anyone know what they are?

VintageKrug
    Participant

These are not IRIS but the new e-passport scanner whcih will replace IRIS in due course.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 132 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls