Iris recognition

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 121 through 132 (of 132 total)

• Gold-2K
    Participant

When I asked recently about IRIS not working in T5, Passport control staff told me that IRIS was being phased our later this year in favour of more Biometric passport readers. Hope this is not the case, Im a big fan of it, usually very quick unless you get stuck in front of some dumbo who tries to use it without having actually registered!!!!!! Doh!!

RichHI1
    Participant

I have been using IRIS since 2007. I enrolled at Gatwick when American flew to DFW from there.

There was a bad spell in 2009 when T3 always seemed to be playing up but the last couple of years T3 has worked a charm for me and, as it is T3, the bags are always ready waiting.

Nice quick exit which is perfect after long flight and usually 30 minutes going round in circles before landing and 20 minute wait for a gate as someone else blocks the alley at T3 or waiting for a bus at T5.

Not linked to Global Entry like Dutch Privium is but give UK Govt another 10 years and they will probably get round to it.

Very upset to read above they are pulling them for ePassport readers.

AlanReynolds1
    Participant

Came into Gatwick South yesterday, to find a building site around the immigration area. No IRIS. Asked Border Agency guy, who said it had been taken out in preparation for machine readable passport. No, that had not yet been installed. So long queues for manual inspection.

Still feel that matching me with a part of my body is a more secure check than matching me with a piece of paper (however sophisticated). Pity too that IRIS not kept working until the replacement was ready

RichHI1
    Participant

I have a horrible feeling that they are going to cut IRIS scheme to save money.
    It is obvious from the canceling of the needed extra London runways that this government is anti business when it comes to air travel. Maybe they still want to us to go to USA or China by train.

MrBen76
    Participant

RHMAngel – It is UKBA staff (or lack of) that are the problem for the enrolment rooms.

Everyone – Biometric passport gates will certainly take over as previous Home Secretary’s have favoured this solution and the Border Agency too.

As a Business Traveller I would prefer a registered traveller system, and I would imagine that the airport operators themselves would look at this kind of system.

RichHI1
    Participant

One option is cheaper the other is more secure and offers better service. Guess which one will win…

MrBen76
    Participant

Rich it depends who is paying 😉

UKBA have publicly told both Technology providers and Airport operators that they expect the Airports to pay for the new gates. BAA have already done this, 20 for Heathrow.

RHMAngel
    Participant

Thanks Mr Ben for the correction.

BAA are clearly annoyed at UKBA – they were almost equal in the suck attitude stakes 😡

Ministerial policy & pipedreams are one thing, boots on the ground for UK Boarder Control or what ever they’re called, like I say, have a long way to go at Heathrow. Turning up or having enough staff seems rather like the rocket science issue at the moment though…

When you go other airports around the world, and see SMOOTH less queues passage to get passengers out after long journeys, it makes one weep…

RichHI1
    Participant

But it is a consistent policy together with insufficient runways, UKAPD etc…

andrew.gill
    Participant

SMOOTH, or smooth and less queues that I’ve not seen at O’Hare, Dulles or any of the New York Airports, although Philadelphia seems to have enough desks open, and I scamper off a plane quickly 🙂

Swissdiver
    Participant

As I have no other choice than flying through FRA several times in the coming months, I considered registering to their IRIS system but was wondering whether they will accept new people in the scheme. Well, I am in! So if the Germans continue to use it, may-be we’ll be able to enjoy IRIS at LHR for some more time…

RichHI1
    Participant

Swissdiver – 09/02/2012 09:55 GMT , glad you got into Grman system. You are unfortunately overlooking the fact that Frau Merkel and the Germans are pro international business and pro aviation (hence the German Govt gift er I mean copoerative funding on the LH Bio Fuels program. The UK coallition of course has been anti international business and aviation since election and to be fair the elcetion campaign.
    Never mind you now have German version of IRIS so when COallition transport strategy is to take the HS1 Train to Frankfrut or Amsterdam via DB or Paris by Eurostar and then fly from there, you will be well placed. Shame about the unemployment levels in Hounslow…

Viewing 12 posts - 121 through 132 (of 132 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls