Govt preparing to tone down warnings over use of public transport

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Some of you would say that it’s about time.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ticket-to-ride-ministers-to-relax-public-transport-rules-9vh87bcwd?shareToken=a349ca1187e935c9ce57412817cdebbf

It’s costing taxpayers millions in subsidies to public transport firms both metro and mainline rail operators.

The train companies (TOCs) obey government guidelines because it is our government who is paying their operating expenses.

As we mentioned in our Flixbus piece these bus firms (and airlines) can sell to everyone whereas the TOCs tell the public their services are for essential use only.

Flixbus launches in UK

AMcWhirter
    Participant

This anomalous situation continues.

Today Eastern Airways launched its MME-LCY service and will sell tickets to all-comers.

Conversely our TOCs are supposed to be used only for essential reasons.

Hence rail expert @AndyBTravels today finds few passengers using the 1420 London-Manchester train.

Normally this train would be very busy in standard class not least because Avanti West Coast has very attractive pricing to encourage off-peak travel.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Now I see that LNER is beginning to relax restrictions on who can use its trains.

The train firm says that from today it has restored 75 per cent of its weekday timetable.

The rules about essential travel have disappeared from Lner.co.uk

MarcusGB
    Participant

Thanks Alex.
    Again, it is all coming from Individual Companies, with no clear Government Policy to guide ourselves, or the Operators of any form of transport.
    There needs to also be a date when the Public and train services are geared towards re-starting.
    They have left Our UK Aviation Sector in an absolute Fog of silence, in terms of Strategy – dates or planning.

I checked GWR just, and this is what they are stating, trying to book 2 weeks ahead.

“Alterations to the Great Western Railway timetable due to Coronavirus.
    Train times from Saturday 18 July onwards may not be available and current timetables may be subject to last minute changes, please check back before you travel.
    London Paddington station has a one way system in operation at busy times.”

Fares were reduced from the 1st Class single £175 London to Penzance from last week!
    But you still cannot even reserve and book a seat.

I doubt too Alex, that Either the Scottish or Cornish Sleeper services, would be able to be re-started at all?
    So difficult to clean and sterilise and such small areas, and access up and down the trains and within the compartments sadly…

All a mess still…

Montysaurus
    Participant

Caledonian Sleeper has been operating throughout to Inverness, Edinburgh and Glasgow. Aberdeen and Fort William service is not operating meantime.

canucklad
    Participant

To answer your question Alex, the trouble is, the damage is already done ….and getting worse……

Especially as we now live in a society where a very vocal minority drives the agenda that they feel is right , imposing their will on the majority of us.

I know that there are fellow forum contributors who disagree … but making the wearing of masks mandatory whether it be on trains, planes, automobiles and buses shifts the common sense hygiene / distancing message to “Danger” invisible bio hazard risk out there somewhere

And as long as that’s the perception, and in order to get people to comply with the instruction, they need to believe that the enemy (virus) could still be out there somewhere. In that environment nobody is going to travel unnecessarily., regardless of how “Keen” prices are.

England is bad enough, but the messaging north of the border is akin to a very bad remix of a Bobby McFerrin song…. “Don’t Worry – Be Happy – Don’t Panic”

And for those of us who have any modicum of communication knowledge knows , the majority of the population will focus on what they fear rather than the common sense logic message. That also goes for risk averse companies like mine, who don’t see travelling between our offices resuming anytime soon.

And sadly, those Zombie jobs are going to manifest themselves into unemployment figures within weeks rather than months and years.

Like all the other posts on this subject, I’ll reiterate that I don’t blame our governments for their mistakes , but living in a democratic society , I am allowed to criticise
    The blame for this lies elsewhere , where people have no such rights

5 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[postquote quote=1003151][/postquote]

In fact we reported on the new Cal Sleeper schedules at the start of lockdown.

However the new timings have meant that Cal Sleeper trains have been arriving too early.

Caledonian Sleeper passengers arrive “too early”

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=1003125]I doubt too Alex, that Either the Scottish or Cornish Sleeper services, would be able to be re-started at all?
    So difficult to clean and sterilise and such small areas, and access up and down the trains and within the compartments sadly…[/quote]

Hello Marcus,

I have some good news re GWR. According to its website services have restarted but it remains a limited service. GWR says it hopes that compartment accommodation will be available this month.

https://www.gwr.com/plan-journey/journey-information/on-board/night-riviera-sleeper

As far as Cal Sleeper is concerned the service has been operating during lockdown with the exception of two routes.

We reported on this development last March see below. Cabin accommodation is available but the Club Car is closed.

Cal Sleeper is the longest train to operate in the UK. Currently its operation is funded by the government.

Caledonian Sleeper to suspend two routes

BPP
    Participant

To save me searching does anybody know if/when the ‘Advance First’ fares will be available on the west coast line to EDI?
    BPP

AMcWhirter
    Participant

BPP – But which route (there are many WCML stations) and roughly when ?

I mean if you travelling Manchester-Edinburgh with TPE there are already first advance fares displayed with Trainline.com

It’s the same with XC for Birmingham-Edinburgh although the prices are higher.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Tweet from RAIL

MarcusGB
    Participant

Ah Alex, that really does surprise me re the Sleeper Services.

I do use the GWR overnight London down to Penzance a few times a year, but the compartments would be very difficult to clean to Covid standards, and in use by different people every 12 hrs. Well done to them if they have been able to meet these set standards, as practically everything would need to be pulled out of each compartment, to clean the surfaces, and walls, doors, and ceiling would need to be completely cleaned too. Certainly on the GWR Sleeper, the cabins are close and confined.

I know technically 2 people could share a cabin, and there was a cheaper fare where if you had not purchase a “Solo” use, then anyone of the same sex could be in there too.
    This would simply not be possible now.
    The moving up and down the train corridors to the Lounge / bar car, would not be easy, as generally most people have to turn a little side-wards to walk through.

So i wonder on their cleaning regime?
    It did also say “1st Class On Board Services have been ceased at this time”, not that you are given much mainly snacks hot cold drinks, but 5 hrs + from London, is quite a time without food and drink on even a daytime service.
    the sleeper people often board 11pm, departs before midnight, and arrival is around 8.30pm To Penzance.
    returns to London, ran around 9pm departures, arriving 5.10am+, with an option of 1.15hrs you can remain on the train.

Normally full, i cannot imagine anyone could list “Essential travel” for many journeys for this time.
    Good to hear though, as these are really unique services for the UK, and the teams are a dedicated number,and would be a great pity to be ceasing the services.

BPP
    Participant

Reply to AMcWhirter.
    Should have been more specific. STA-EDI with what was Virgin now Avanti. I did (before the troubles) use this route 2-3 times a year. Possibly early/mid August dependent on restrictions.
    BPP

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1003219]Normally full, i cannot imagine anyone could list “Essential travel” for many journeys for this time.[/quote]

There is no requirement for domestic travel to be essential, everyone is free to travel within the UK.

On board ‘experience’ is outlined on websites of the sleeper companies (eg on Scotrail the club car is closed, sharing of cabins with same household only etc).

I imagine for months to come the railway network will be obsessed by health and safety, and with the government footing the bill there is little incentive for the operators to get moving as they get paid even if the train runs empty. Unlike the airlines which ordinarily receive no financial support and in fact contribute to economy through taxes.

MarcusGB
    Participant

SimonS1 wrote
    “There is no requirement for domestic travel to be essential, everyone is free to travel within the UK.”

This is not correct in terms of the use of Public transport, especially Long distance trains if you could find any, certainly before 4th july.
    Until July 4th, it was not possible to travel where you wanted on Public Transport, and only for Essential travel as designated within The Coronovirus Act in England.

There remains an “Essential Travel Only” in Wales, for Public transport., and the 5 miles only from your home has only just been lifted. You were not even allowed to stay overnight even in some family situations.
    The 4 Devolved Governments have had, and still do, different rules that are not running to Par with England, so “The UK”, is split up into 4 jurisdictions for the time being.

Police until just a few weeks ago, were checking at entry gates at stations in London, Mainline train stations, and Underground stations, for your work status, and need to travel.
    “Essential travel Only” as defined under the was being literally policed. Roads and Motorways clearly displayed signs of Essential travel only. People were being turned away.
    The longer distance trains, have not been scheduled, and subject to change at any time.

On one BBC radio 4 report, one family some 3 weeks ago, were trying to enable their disabled daughter, to attend limited daysat her Special School that supported her education.
    Normally taking the Train, there were no trains on the GWR services to Exeter, for them to travel on.
    To attend just a few days offered in one week, was costing over £380, and she was also told “it was not essential travel”.

The ability for Hospitality to re-open from 4th July, especially hotels and accommodation, does enable the ability to stay overnight elsewhere especially at a greater distance, yet there has been a consistent message to “Avoid Public Transport”.
    Even today, my Local train Services on Great Northern into hertfordshire, is asking if it is Essential for you travel, even locally?

Taking Worldwide Scientifically researched and WHO Coronovirus Policies Incorporated into The Coronovirus Act, that include Health & Safety Measures to protect people from a Virus that kills, is hardly “Obsessive”! It is a legal requirement.

In the coming months, confidence will not return to using public transport, if there were found to be events of transmission of the virus for not taking such measures.
    TFL Services, and much Commuting for work /Business has and will change permanently, as with Aviation, as established by many sources Worldwide at this time.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls