Govt preparing to tone down warnings over use of public transport

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=1003662]Or is a strategic pricing to suppress demand .[/quote]

I think there is some truth in this canucklad.

I say “some” because I have checked numerous routes and while some have higher than usual Advance fares others are roughly the same as before.

While the TOCs remain quasi-nationalised the only fares which have not changed are the regulated tariffs. (Advance fares are not regulated and like airline tariffs their availability/pricing can change)

David Horne, the MD of LNER, has tweeted this photo of current rail travel in France where has SNCF lifted the limits on using trains.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=1003690]I am hoping to find a nice sea view fresh fish restaurant that DOES NOT serve whisky ![/quote]

Living in the east puts me at a disadvantage when it comes suggesting eateries on the other side of Scotland. However , i do know that Largs is the home of a Scottish institution . And well worth checking out …. Nardini’s

Also, I’m sure you can get a local train from the airport ( link station) direct to Largs

1 user thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Went into central London today for the first time in 5 months and by tube. Some observations of public transport (well the underground).

+ Very surprised that I did not see any London Underground service teams in 3 of the 4 stations I visited (Holborn being the exception and then only at the entry/exit point)

+ There was zero enforcement of the Government mask wearing rules. To be fair 90% or so of passengers wore a face covering, but there are always the 10% who think the rules do not apply to them

+ ‘keep apart’ signs on the tube referring to seating, but I did not see any signs on the tube about wearing masks or face coverings. Some electronic wall advertisements going down the escalator

+ I saw one wall poster saying masks SHOULD be worn then at another station a poster saying masks MUST be worn

+ also saw signs saying passengers should stay 6 step apart on the escalators and passengers should not pass one another. Mostly ignored

+ appeared to me the underground staff were awol as they did not want any confrontation.

What did shock me was London itself. I went initially to South Kensignton (near to the Royal Marsden) and then to Holborn and walked to Norwich Street just past Chancery Lane.

Wow, the number of shop closed or boarded up, The Rosebery Hotel chained up and closed, shutters down, the empty offices, zero buzz, very few people. The offices I had meetings at, would usually be full of smartly dressed people. The person I went to see was one of 2 people in his office building, generally filled with up to 250+ staff. The receptionist at the first office tried to keep me talking as I was the first visitor that day (2pm) and at the second, we sat on the roof top looking at empty offices surrounding where we were. Reminded me of going into London on a Sunday, when Sunday was a day of rest and shops / offices were all shut.

Didn’t go to Oxford Street, that may be next week.

All very very sad….. and depressing….

4 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

Sad Martin. But inevitable when a culture of negativity and fear is created. Stay at home, close the airports, shut out visitors, don’t send kids near a school, must wear a mask, don’t travel at peak times (or preferably at all), an empty train is a safe train, it’s all great in Australia, blahdy blah.

I can’t imagine that happening in the Churchill, Thatcher times. The Government need to get some momentum behind a recovery or those shops will stay shuttered and closed for ever.

Stand 6 steps apart on the tube escalators?? Someone at TfL has been on the funny fags again.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1003730]Stay at home, close the airports, shut out visitors, don’t send kids near a school, must wear a mask, don’t travel at peak times (or preferably at all), an empty train is a safe train, it’s all great in Australia, blahdy blah.[/quote]

I don’t believe people are suggesting we ‘shut out visitors’ – rather – just check exactly ‘what’ is coming into the UK. The number of infections within the UK dramatically reduced, until lock down eased (that part is understandable) – but it appears – if you believe whats written on Sky and BBC, that the farm where the large number of new covid 19 cases occurred in Hertfordshire, is filled with Eastern European farm workers, who would have been allowed into the UK through the UK’s open border policy. Even with the prior quarantine / self isolation rules, there were no real checks on who is bringing what into the UK. This does not mean ‘shut out visitors’.

None of this though is the reason for people to disregard the rules about masks or suggest whoever made up the rules may have been on the ‘funny fags again’.

Clearly, the rules have bought the number infections down (despite the 40 – 50,000 tragic deaths along the way) – it’s a pity as I suggested before, that the gravitas appears to have gone, the minority feel it’s time to party and the result the R rate appears to have creeped up ever so slightly and the number of infections is also slowly rising.

London Underground service personnel and BT Police should be enforcing the public transport rules to further help the economy improve and keep people safe.

Johnnyg
    Participant

I visited Chichester today by train, pleased to see many people wearing masks but on both legs of the journey there was someone not wearing a mask. The annoying thing is that on both journeys an on board guard walked past and said nothing.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1003733]London Underground service personnel and BT Police should be enforcing the public transport rules to further help the economy improve and keep people safe.[/quote]

They are on a hiding to nothing – when Boris and Gove are in public disagreement on the necessity of using masks what chance have they got? As you said earlier they have most likely decided to avoid confrontation.

I’m afraid requiring people to stand 6 steps apart can only reinforce the impression that TfL would rather close the whole operation down. Capacity will be hopeless like that, but I suppose with taxpayers footing the bill there is no incentive to seek solutions.

SimonS1
    Participant

So it looks like Michael Gove has been put back in his box again, and finally compulsory face covers are to be introduced in shops (but not for another 10 days).

Another bonanza time for the PPE suppliers I imagine.

canucklad
    Participant

If I was to give advice to our governments , it would be this …..

Give people hope, let them know “Why” with more clarity and most important of all , announce that the reward of having to endure these social infringements brings the end closer quicker.

I’m sensing that we’re at a crossroads …. If Joe Public continues to believe that we’re in this for the long haul (anti-social policies) and that the light at the end of the tunnel never seems to get brighter then we risk putting at jeopardy the sacrifice most of us have already made

Not scientific evidence , rather anecdotal evidence from the weekend ….

Saturday , caught the bus to the next village to enjoy a real pint outside at my bowling club. ….. Not one person on the near empty bus including the driver ( albeit she was behind the screen) wearing masks .
    Went to the ATM next to the shop and people wearing masks and acting as if the mask was the vaccine. And social distancing in a personable social drinking environment could be described as a pipe dream . Taxi home , and the driver was acting as if we where on a mission to the moon, even with a Perspex barrier between us …. Bonkers behaviour.

I worry for the hospitality / travel sector, because if my friends are anything to go by, as long as masks and 2 hour restrictions are in place , socializing in peoples homes will replace a visit to your local !!

In summary, people need to sense the end is in sight, otherwise they’ll just adopt a “FI” attitude to the situation. Our governments are hopefully picking up on the silent majorities restlessness otherwise a 2nd spike is inevitable and potentially more damaging .

2 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Despite the easing of restrictions there are many reports that UK trains are very quiet on most routes.

Andy Brabin, a seasoned rail traveller, posted this yesterday.

Normally the 0701 Manchester-London Euston would be a popular train for business travellers.

But on Thursday there were a mere eight passengers in standard with two in first class.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1004649]Despite the easing of restrictions there are many reports that UK trains are very quiet on most routes.[/quote]

One of the problems Alex, London radio stations are still playing messages that people should avoid using public transport.

3 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

Brighton to Cambridge this afternoon. Totally deserted. The rail operators must be haemorrhaging cash.

20200727_143856

SimonS1
    Participant

3 people in the tube carriage and platforms at London Bridge empty. Tried to post a pic but seems max size on this archaic forum software is 512kb.

DLR was a bit busier though.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

As readers have mentioned in the past Cross Country’s trains are normally very busy.

This was the scene last Friday on a morning train taken from Newcastle to Edinburgh.

canucklad
    Participant

And this is where common sense should prevail in regards to wearing masks
    If there is no one around about you , you should be able to show a degree of discretion and allow people to remove them

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls