BA’s July 4th double celebration

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 136 total)

• JordanD
    Participant

Derekchilvers – Right in so far as B787-800s (what’s being delivered now), are confirmed as being without F class.

B787-900s will (or at least most will) have F class. The first one of these is in production, with NZ the ‘launch carrier’ for this type; BA are due to get one next year, I believe [note: I may be wrong on this, it’s memory on an old article].

B787-1000s which were launched at the Paris Air Show will, I can only imagine, have F onboard.

peterhouse
    Participant

When is the 787-9 with F due precisely? An ideal candidate for the BKK run….

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

The B787-9 will arrive in 2015. Although there is definitely room on the B787-9 for First, I am also told (by BA) that no decision has been made as to whether First will be on them.
    Tom Otley

ImissConcorde
    Participant

The 787 is parked on the base at Envoy Avenue. No suitable parking nearby.

Good evening Tom

A question I have always been meaning to ask: when was the first BT issue published?

StandingThemUp
    Participant

I wish BA well later today (it is 01:47 in the UAE), these are the first significant new fleets for about 20 years and exciting times for the airline.

peterhouse
    Participant

It’s less than 20 years, more like 15 years for the major longhaul fleet orders. There has been a significant amount of shorthaul deliveries since 1998.

Even on longhaul, BA had a subfleet of 6 777-300ERs delivered in the past two years, with more to come this year.

About half (23) of the 747s were delivered after 1997, less than 15 years ago, the youngest in April 1999.

4 777-200s were delivered in 2009, and all but two of the rest of the 46 777-200s were delivered since 1997.

Most of the fleet renewal between 2001-2012 was in shorthaul with 48 A320s being delivered during that period, just under half of which have been delivered since 2007, meaning they are quite young.

So really, there has been continual significant new fleet renewal, just that A320s don’t make headlines.

BigDog.
    Participant

The overall average age of BA’s fleet is now close to 13 years and has been above the world fleet average age for a couple of years, after being younger than the global average for at least two decades previously. In 10 years from 2002 to 2011, BA’s average fleet age grew from just over seven years to between 12 and 13 years.

http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/does-british-airways-787-option-conversion-signal-a-return-to-a-more-expansionist-capex-policy-104464

In reality British Airways has been lagging world airlines in its level of capital expenditure as a percentage of sales. The average age of its fleet appears to be at an all time high.

StandingThemUp
    Participant

Peterhouse

You are confusing renewal and subfleet addition with new fleets. e.g the A318 was a new subfleet only a few years ago, but was part of the A32x fleet, that was initially acquired in 1980s.

The last significant new fleet was the 777, for which BA was one of the two launch customers, in the mid 1990s. so nearer 20 years than 15.

The A320 entered service in the 1980s, due to the acquisition of BCAL.

The A380 and B787 are the first new fleets for nearly 20 years and I hope today goes really well for BA, exciting times.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Hello,
    It was published in 1976.
    Tom

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Was BT formerly Executive Travel magazine?

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

No, that was a different magazine.

Executive Travel was edited by Mike Toynbee who is now Managing Editor of Business Traveller’s sister title Buying Business Travel

http://www.buyingbusinesstravel.com

Inthesandpit
    Participant

And the big bird is airborne from TLS for LHR as BAW380
    Flightradar24.com has the details

MartynSinclair
    Participant

A curious question. Why is/was it necessary in the news article to detail the ages of all the staff in the pictures?

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 136 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls