BA’s July 4th double celebration

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 136 total)

• Anonymous

rferguson
    Participant

BA will officially unveil the A380 and B787 to staff, the public and media on July 4th.

Today BA confirmed that the first two 787’s will arrive 26th and 27th of June. The first A380, July 4th. They will have a joint unveiling.

BA confirmed they will then be used for training ‘for a period’. Some training will occur at Manston, Kent. BA confirmed it will then place the A380 on the LHR-FRA route (as already discussed on here) and the 787 on the LHR-ARN (Stockholm) route.

The aircraft will also operate random flights within the UK during this period (a ‘UK tour).

VintageKrug
    Participant

Nice intel, thanks for posting, rferguson.

Are you A380ing or 787ing?

tiggerbrown
    Participant

How’s the 787 training going rferguson?

Any idea what routes the 787 will be trialled on yet that we can come & have a ride on?

VintageKrug
    Participant

er….Stockholm, as was posted not two posts above this one.

craigwatson
    Participant

Ok, that did make me laugh!

rferguson
    Participant

VK: I shall be 787’ing 🙂 There are more of the birds coming than the A380’s and they have a huge amount of versatility in terms or routes it can fly so I opted for that one.

Hey tiggerbrown. Sorry the Stockholm bit got a bit buried in my post. BA have announced that the european route the 787 will fly will be LHR-ARN. They haven’t specified a particular rotation, but I would imagine they would follow the A380-FRA example and utilise the current 767 slots which has a larger turnaround time and similar seat capacity. Looking at BA.com that would be the daily BA780/781.

Unfortunately BA has released no start date for the LHR-ARN. Rumor has it in fact that they will not announce dates or frequencies that the 787 will fly on the short haul training flights. Which is a little disappointing.

On the 4th of July the first BA A380 will touch down and then taxi to park next to a B787 where a group of employees, VIP’s and the media will welcome them both to the fleet. Should be an impressive sight!

tiggerbrown
    Participant

Thanks rferguson – think I was semi scan-reading while trying to do my job & stopped at Manston!

LeTigre
    Participant

Keith Williams said earlier that there would be one long haul aircraft delievered every two weeks for the next twelve months. What is the breakdown? Is there really 24 aircraft that are going to be delievered? That would rival Emirates…

transtraxman
    Participant

http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/british-airways-the-parental-favourite-gets-new-toys-but-still-has-homework-to-do-110949

One part of the article gives 2012 fleet size with the projected size for 2015. A later part of the same of the article gives the delivery schedule.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

Interesting transtraxman:

BA less dominant in UK than Air France in France and Lufthansa in Germany

A comparison with the other two major European legacy flag carriers shows that BA has a much smaller share of the aviation market in the UK than either of Lufthansa or Air France in their home country markets. Using Innovata data for the week of 20-May-2013, BA has 20% of seats in the UK, while Lufthansa has 38% in Germany (43% with Germanwings) and Air France has 36% in France. Fellow IAG carrier Iberia has only 13% in Spain (25% with Vueling).

BA744fan
    Participant

If I recall correctly, BA are due to receive 3 A380s, 2 B777-300s and 4 B787-800s before the end of 2013.

Keith Williams is quoted as saying he expects 22 LH deliveries by the end of summer 2014, ie 13 deliveries between next January and September.

From memory, there are 3 A380s, 4 B787-800s and 2 B777-300s due to be delivered in 2014 (not necessarily before the end of the summer).

That still leaves 4 more deliveries to make 22, more if you take into account the above delivery schedule is for the whole of 2014.

Anyone know what the outstanding balance might be made up of? I know BA plan to lease some B777-300s so I suppose they might come on line in 2014, but even then there is a shortfall

BA744fan
    Participant

Answered my own question regarding leased aircraft.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/british-airways-to-lease-777s-from-alc-380889/

Still leaves at least 3 deliveries.

VintageKrug
    Participant

There is a slew of A320s on the way as well.

BA744fan
    Participant

VK – BA specifically said long haul deliveries, but granted he might have meant ALL deliveries.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 136 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls