BA’s July 4th double celebration

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 136 total)

• BigDog.
    Participant

From the Daily Mail link …

..BA said the new aircraft’s innovative design means it is twice as quiet as a Boeing 747 Jumbo jet on take-off – and four times quieter on landing which may help placate some residents around Heathrow…

One hope BA and HAL can now take the opportunity to lobby local authorities and govt. to increase LHR operational window for use by quiet aircraft.

MS +1 – most curious, no relevance whatsoever, I wouldn’t be surprised if the ladies are a tad miffed.

scott66
    Participant

Picking up the xxxx, aged xx tangent of this thread.

I’m afraid that’s the poor standard of that particular journal, I’ve learned to filter out that cliche.

From the same Daily Mail article, BigDog highlighted a sentence that really does make my eyes roll skyward. It’s half as loud, not twice as quiet.

I agree with BigDog, maybe these new aircraft will allow the operational window to increase.

canucklad
    Participant

C’ mon Martyn….

Surely the girls will be happy with their ages being published….now I wonder how many of them are single ? : ))

Only joking….totally agree, it’s bizarre and very 70’s journalism…..and also agree that they should fly the plane over the Hounslow school featured in “LHR live2 to prove how much less noisey and disruptive to the kids learning the 380 is compared to the 747 !

transtraxman
    Participant

@BigDog. – 04/07/2013 11:53 GMT

“it is twice as quiet as a … 747 … on take-off – and four times quieter on landing”

As scott66 says…

“it is half (or 50%) as noisy as a …. 747 … on take-off – and a quarter (or 25%) as noisy on landing”.

Unfortunately, this is a very commonly made mistake these days.

(Nothing personal BD, just informing everybody)

BigDog.
    Participant

No problem transtraxman point taken. My error was proliferating the poor English usage which appears initially emanated from within BA then quoted in the Daily Mail.

However there surely is a case for increasing the operational window of LHR for these new quite aircraft.

transtraxman
    Participant

I think the arrival of these two types of aircraft and their qualities should be sung from the rooftops.

As you imply BD the question is not so much how many aircraft are flying, where, at what time; more it is what noise is created, where, at what time.

Each airport has its limitations on hours of operation which turn out to be movement restrictions. If I am not incorrect the limit at Heathrow is 480,000 movements per year. There are severe restrictions at night – I do not know exactly what they are. I have read somewhere that at multirunway Schipol all aircraft are prohibited from operating during night hours.That has put paid to the 24 hour airport.

What I see is that in the (not so distant)future restrictions will be based on aircraft noise (and fume) emissions. Thus some aircraft types with very low noise levels might well be permitted to land/take off during night hours when they do not exceed 60 decibels(??).

peterhouse
    Participant

Some OK shots of the interior here:

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/pictures-first-ba-a380-arrives-at-heathrow-387954/

Anyone find any better shots of the interior?

pdtraveller
    Participant

It will be hard to find better shots of the interior as it is the same as their other aircraft. Same seats, same layout, with the exception of the Club world upper deck cabin.

BA marketing using all their undoubted skills to talk up the arrival but the simple truth is it is 6 years behind the competition with same old products.

Several dozen aircraft of this type overhead Europe alone right now but if you are flying BA you are still likely as not on some routes to be seated in a clapped out 747 767 or some other decrepit dirty aircraft.

4 new aircraft which will only come into service in September is a step in the direction of improvement.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Richard Quest had a good report on CNN yesterday covering the 787 and 380 delivery including inside aircraft interviews. Tried looking for a copy but couldn’t find one.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Here are our (unedited) photos of the 2 aircraft

http://www.flickr.com/photos/businesstraveller/sets/72157634487851062/

I will try and sort them out today.

rodders
    Participant

Just landed at Heathrow seeing BA’s A380 and Dreamliner side by side was an impressive sight!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Interesting photos. Some thoughts:

* The wall of the upper deck on the A380 seems to incline inwards more steeply than on the B747 upper deck. Obviously this isn’t BA-specific, so I wonder if posters who have experienced other A380s can comment on how this feels when inside the cabin, as it looked as though it might feel a little claustrophobic

* The middle J seat on the A380 upper deck (I hope I am identifying my aircraft and seat placements correctly, incidentally!) looks to be wider than the others since there is a space on the right-hand-side of the seat. That might help to reduce the claustrophic effect of having “walls” and dividers on both sides

* I am surprised they aren’t using iPod connectors or USB jacks to allow passengers to stream their own content, and instead relying on old-fashioned RCA jacks. How delightfully retro…

I see, incidentally, that BT’s Australian counterpart is highlighting some improvements in the F cabin:
    http://www.ausbt.com.au/inside-british-airways-new-a380-first-class-cabin

MartynSinclair
    Participant

A good selection of pictures.

I am sure the aircraft felt and smelt new – but is it just me, but the look, especially in the 380 doesn’t have that WOW factor that other airlines seem to be able to publish in their launch photos.

peterhouse
    Participant

It’s good to know some incremental changes are happening in First:

http://www.ausbt.com.au/inside-british-airways-new-a380-first-class-cabin

Looks great.

It would certainly incentivise me to book an upgrade with miles next time I can escape the clutches of Premium Economy!

tiggerbrown
    Participant

Anyone heard if it’s just the LHR-FRA-LHR BA902/903 rotation which are having the A380 on, or any other routes?

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 136 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls