BA’s July 4th double celebration

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 136 total)

• Gold-2K
    Participant

Looking at the pics of FIRST cabin on the Aus Business Traveller link above, it looks like the cool electronic blinds on the 747 and 777 are not on the 380? Shame. I know in theory they are not needed on the airbus due to the double layered powered blinds on the plane, but the big rectangular windows and blinds look very classy esp with the blue lighting. Perhaps the lighting effects on the 380 will compensate to differentiate FIRST from CW. Would be good to see some “officIal” photos.

StandingThemUp
    Participant

MartynSinclair – 05/07/2013 10:16 GMT

Without engaging in BA bashing, I agree with your sentiment and it is because the premium products have been around for a long time, so there is no sense of novelty in those, nor in the use of space to create a shower/bar/swimming pool/zoo etc.

Hermes1964
    Participant

Mixed emotions about brand new technology with rapidly dating interior.

Is there really as much grey plastic as the photos suggest? Strangely it makes all the classes look more or less the same. Perhaps it was the lighting or was that grey too?

I really wanted to go “Wow!” but only “Oh!” came out.

SimonS1
    Participant

Good photos on BT Flickr stream.

I’m not sure I would want the window seat in CW upstairs – the cabin wall seems to curve in very sharply and combined with pretty limited overhead storage.

PegasusAir
    Participant

Had the opportunity yesterday to view both the BA A380 and their 787-800. Walked around the 380 first boarding through Door 1 (Front left).
    First impression is of a small hotel lobby with a staircase leading up to the UD, but then tirned right and walked into F on the main deck. It looks much more spacious than on the 747, obviously being oblong rather than pointed (for obvious reasons!) and immediately one notices that the seat cubicles or suites are wider – whilst the same in principle to NF they are more like suites and appear to have more space at the side of the seat and have bigger coat wardrobes. Certainly a nicer layout than on the 747. Next they have a rather large CW (44 seats in normal 2-4-2 config (Yes I know it’s Ying/Yang so not quite comparable with others). Then a large Y cabin in 3-4-3. Upstairs at the rear via a narrower circular staircase than the front one into a smaller Y cabin – this is 2-4-2 so has nice 2 seaters down the side. WTP is a nice 2-3-2 and looks fine for a relatively short long haul day flight. Then at the front CW has 2 relatively small cabins – the forward one with 25 seats and the second with 28 seats both in 2-3-3. The centre seat is wider than normal – they say its 10 inches wider due to a side panel – it doesn’t quite look that but it certainly doesn’t look as coffin-like as I had expected.
    The window seats have a nice locker at the side – narrower than the 747 UD (Upper deck) but deeper and therefore these seats look much less narrow in space than the B747LD or B777 CW Window seats. I suspect these two cabins will prove popular. Overall the various greys look quite smart and are lighter than you may think from the photos. For me the F is now a proper F product (I have given up with their current F until they get rid of the 747s with the old F – I now choose CW with a seat in the UD for any flights on a 747 having been on an old F a month ago from YVR where the armrest fell off amongst other disasters) whilst the UD CW looks to be a nice product.
    Following this I visited the B787 which was interesting – firstly it is smaller than I had anticipated, looking like a streamlined 767. Given that it only has 11 more seats it really is a new 767. In fact having been on the A380 first the B787 feels just like the UD of the A380 and actually has almost the same layout although the A380 has 2 cabins of CW totalling 53 seats whereas the B787 has 2 cabins totalling 35 seats. The same 2-3-2 but no side lockers – a narrower B777. The electronic windows do not appear to be totally blackout so I suspect one will still see the wing tip lights when ‘closed’ but not sure. The crew can limit their opening centrally to stop individual passengers opening them full to daylight! If these B787’s replace the long haul 767’s what will replace the short haul 767’s as I don’t think (maybe wrong) that they anymore A321’s on order? If they only take 12 A380’s and their current B777’s are committed once the final B777-300’s are delivered there is going to be quite a bit of downsizing going on or am I missing something? Anyway, good luck to BA with them – they are both worthy aircraft.
    These aircraft will do a lot for BA but how soon they can get them in to replace the old 747’s – which I will miss in many ways, (although not their growing technical problems) will be quite a challenge.

Balliol
    Participant

Thank you PegasusAir, that’s the first report I’ve read of BA’s new aircraft albeit with existing products on board.

From the pictures I thought the upper deck C seats by the windows on the A380 looked very cramped and I thought equally the cabin looked very over crowded.

Funny what you say about the A380 upper deck and the 787, I had had the thought that they were probably very alike.

I don’t think the A380 is a great looker like almost everyone else I know but I also think the 787 is rather ugly and for that matter the A350. The latter was rather a surprise as I’ve always found Airbus aircraft very easy on my eye but the A350 and 787 are very similar.

PegasusAir
    Participant

Thanks. Yes I agree the A380 is very stubby and not a great looker but I was surprised at how steamlined the nose of the 787 is. It was better looking than I thought although the rest of it was what one would expect. In fact it doesn’t have noticeable winglets – I think the upward wing tips are an integral part of the wing. The only really different feature are the rear end of the engine cowlings which are fluted if that is the right word to describe them.

rferguson
    Participant

A couple enhancements to WTP confirmed as starting on 1st AUG.

– Pre departure drinks (oddly cranberry juice)
    – a selection of warmed breads from the oven

No, not industry leading but should bring WTP a little closer to some other airlines Premium Economy products.

Hello rferguson

Why is it that only Champagne can be served before take-off and not other
    alcoholic drinks? Cranberry juice is very refreshing but even better with a good dash of vodka 😉

pdtraveller
    Participant

The pre takeoff champagne is duty paid, the rest of the bars are duty free
    And need to stay sealed. Archaic tax laws particularly as airside. BA in some delay situations can and do get permission to open bars but they have to ask first.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

And in some countries, no alcohol before take-off (India springs to mind)

BigDog.
    Participant

BA’s A380 with the Red Arrows at the Royal International Air Tattoo – 1 Picture & Video…

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/aviation/10192814/Worlds-largest-jet-flies-with-Red-Arrows-at-Royal-International-Air-Tattoo.html

rferguson
    Participant

Pre take off beverages is a bit of a minefield from a Customs perspective with varying requirements and laws worldwide.

For example on the ground ex the UK & many other countries we can theoretically provide any drink from the bar and stay within Customs requirements. We use the duty free champagne from the duty free bars from these ports. The ‘service standard’ is OJ, still water or champagne for pre-departure drinks. This is because obviously boarding is one of the busiest times of the flight and a lot of things need to be done in a relatively short period of time. Crew are also required at the door for boarding and have to provide ‘door coverage’ throughout the aircraft while it is on the ground for safety reasons. So the crew available in the cabins to provide the service aspect during boarding is limited, and well I guess you could imagine the choas of a full on-the-ground bar service for 50-70 J class pax in 30-40mins while also trying to take coats and 200 Y class passengers filing past. Just wouldn’t be practical.

Ex the USA the drinks bars cannot be open until we are airborne (officially) so separate duty-paid bottles of champagne are loaded by the caterers.

Ex India and most mid-east destinations (or in terms of Saudi departures/arrivals while even flying in their airspace!) no pre departure alcohol allowed.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ BigDog. – 20/07/2013 21:29 GMT

Fantastic picture of the BA Big Boy with the Red Arrows.

Okay, this is totally off-thread but the Torygraph picture had me wondering to myself, bearing in mind the recent thread about O’Blarney permitting external advertising on Flyanscare planes, just who or what might wish to fly in formation with a Sh*teair B737… Is there a bucket and spade or Steptoe and Son version of the Red Arrows out there?

Any suggestions anyone?

ImissConcorde
    Participant

A B737 with a formation of 20 ladies of a certain social standing high on WKD would create a pretty picture!!

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 136 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls