BA STRIKE: 18-22, 24-28 May, 30 May-3 June & 5-9 June

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 154 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Geo

I am trying very hard to get your side of the story, not rushing into things too fast, but can you clarify one thing please. Are you talking with first hand knowledge becasue from the sound of things, I am not sure you are cabin crew and further am not sure whether you actually know whats going on and whats on offer. I appreciate it may be your partner who is employed by BA, but never the less as Mr One above says, you appear rather confused with the actual facts.

BA’s attempt to break the Union will only work if the Unions are acting in such a militant and stupid manner asto be the absolute and sole casue of their demise. Self destruct i think its called.

If indeed you are the true representative/member of the Unite union from what you have said so far, i may have to eat humble pie and actually apologize to this blog. I have been an absolute and total supporter of the lets talk but if what you are saying is the Union line, well, I am totally gobsmacked and any bit of sympathy or “cause” I may have believed in has just drowned in a sea of disbelief!

Yes, Martyn Sinclair is ready to make an apology!!!

Come Geo – give me a better shot!

Account_Deleted
    Participant

Account deleted

wanula1
    Participant

GEO

If BA wanted to break the unions they would have done so with BALPA, Maintenance Unions, Ground handling Unions etc. This is not about breaking a Union but trying to manage a core element in the BASSA leadership who are purely motivated by the impact on them (long service, non resident in the UK etc). BASSA continue to communicate half truths to their membership and I truely feel sorry for the vast majority of crew who are being lead by this group.

BA have stated that engaging with a Union is actually a better method of agreeing changes to workforce and terms and conditions as its a single voice (as has been seen with BALPA etc), this issue here is that BASSA are refusing to negotiate.

In terms of the 12 week rule, yes BASSA can re-ballot for new strike mandate but if its ‘deemed’ that the new strike is linked to the existing action its automatically illegal and therefore strikers can be sacked – I can’t see any other mandate that BASSA can take that won’t be linked to the current action? Can you, otherwise what is the strike for?

I understand your concerns around damaged reputation etc but ultimately thats BA’s and WW issue to manage as they run the business, not BASSA.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Geo

We all have friends in BA – why not get your friend to post the facts rather than winding you up to post half stories.

Sorry to be hard Geo, but its the facts that are needed “I ve heard this from a friend!”

Martyn

continentalclub
    Participant

Sky News is reporting that British Airways have won their High Court case challenging Unite/BASSA’s mandate to strike.

The ruling does not directly affect other negotiations ongoing at the arbitration service, ACAS.

Notwithstanding any other announcements and/or an appeal, it seems likely that the proposed strike(s) will not now go ahead as planned.

wanula1
    Participant

BA have been negotiating – return of staff travel, return of some additional CC, monthly fixed payment, bonus opportunities etc

Its BASSA who have refused to negotiate.

VintageKrug
    Participant

STRIKE OFF. INJUNCTION GRANTED!!!

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

Two high court challenges, two victories for BA. If I were a member of this Union I would be now be seriously concerned over any ability it had other than its chaotic approach to publicity. Still I am sure they are satisfied that the employer of the people it represents will have lost another bucket full of money on lost bookings since they announced the latest strike dates.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Nope, busy re-arranging a complex Ash-affected swathe of meetings and travelling across Europe this afternoon.

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

Well at least you can include BA back in the plans VK as will we all.

continentalclub
    Participant

Unite are expected to make an announcement regarding their appeal, which will be heard tomorrow, shortly.

The threatened series of strikes, which was to have commenced tomorrow, will not now go ahead; British Airways reporting that they expect schedules to be affected until the weekend despite the strike being called off.

Latest at:

http://bit.ly/b2d0xb

Account_Deleted
    Participant

Account deleted

openfly
    Participant

The Unite guy, Steve Turner, on Sky has lost the plot!! He is intent on the total distruction of BA…

VintageKrug
    Participant

I despair, geo, I really do.

And I want to be clear that it’s not in a nasty way, but purely in a sympathetic way.

If you really cannot see that the union has managed an appalling campaign, and now has even fewer of the options available to it than it did last week, and certainly fewer than before it entered into this (non) negotiation, then all have left for your position is pity.

BA needs solid workforce representation, for all sorts of reasons. BASSA/Unite is not providing that.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

can anyone now sort out the red shirts to make BKK safe!

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 154 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls