BA STRIKE: 18-22, 24-28 May, 30 May-3 June & 5-9 June

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 154 total)

• Travellator
    Participant

Just to bring you down from your Champagne Heaven, strike appeal decision delayed until 9.30am Thursday – maybe too close to call.

Anyway not sure what vintage the sparkling stuff will be on a Euro Atlantic 767 tomorrow – I suspect there will be no business class and the whole aircraft will be economy, dont know where all the passengers will come from as this flight is usually a 320 !

MartynSinclair
    Participant

for those of you having cheesecake – i hope you enjoy it. listen carefully to the 10 points made – they are the basis for any social group!

PaulJennings
    Participant

Good evening Gentlemen,

Thank you all for a very entertaining read in my lonely hotel room in Glasgow as I wait for my oiksome club sandwich and fries to arrive. I got here today on flybe and went straight into meetings so food has not been a big part of my day. Your descriptions of flambeed mignon and so on have amused me and whetted my appetite in equal measure.

NTarrant
    Participant

In Glasgow eh! There is a deep fried Mars bar not far from you!

Potakas
    Participant

The way the union lost the Injunction, shows the level of professionalism they have… i feel so pity for them,,,

Again as VK said

STRIKE OFF. INJUNCTION GRANTED!!!

VintageKrug
    Participant

I think you are just reposting things now, geo.

BA has one of the most capable Boards in the land.

The employee structure has been massively changed since the days of Nationalisation.

Anyway, it seems Unite has won a rare victory just now, and the Injunction has been reversed.

Strike on, possibly from Monday.

This is broadly good news as the Injunction didn’t really serve any purpose.

Allowing crew to strike will be cathartic, will cost Unite some £150,000 per day in strike pay (if fully supported by the 5,000 out of a total of 12,000 crew who voted against accepting BA already generous settlemt offer which Tony Woodley says addresses most of their concerns), and will demonstrate that BA is increasingly able to operate a fuller service with volunteer and contracted crews as the strike progresses, and is less and less supported by the cabin crews themselves.

No flights from Gatwick or London City will be affected, and at least 60% of longhaul will be running from LHR.

VintageKrug
    Participant

NO geo, no-one ever said it wouldn’t cost.

But WW and BA Management AND the Cabin crew *are* BA. It will cost them all. And it will cost some of them their jobs.

Not to mention the financial, emotional other costs which the customers who support BA will face, including missed vacations, funerals and weddings.

With 600 recently redundant bmi crews available for half the cost of BA crews, long term staffing is hardly an issue.

While you seem to delight in this news, many realise the seriousness of the situation. You patently treat it as some sort of class war game.

BA’s results are out tomorrow, and it will be apparent then the most harm that Unite/BASSA has wrought upon BA this year, not just upon BA but also upon its members.

Willie walsh was endorsed by Standard Life, a major 7% shareholder in BA:

David Cumming, head of UK equities at Standard Life Investments, which owns about 7% of BA’s shares, told the BBC’s Today programme on Monday that the union was “clearly a malevolent force”.

Account_Deleted
    Participant

Account deleted

NTarrant
    Participant

Come on Geo, of course you delight in the news, its what you are trying to acheive and have difficulty trying convince us on this thread. In the other thread you say you are “not pro-union” if that is the case why have you continued to slag off Willie Walsh but say nothing about Unite and BASSA?

You change your mind like the weather. Too much champagne I don’t doubt!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Please note VK’s comment

Willie walsh was endorsed by Standard Life, a major 7% shareholder in BA:

What about the other 93% of shareholders VK???

MartynSinclair
    Participant

£100 MILLION POUNDS BEING THE ESTIMATED COST OF THE STRIKE. Add the cost of the previous strike, I wonder what impact these numbers have on dividends to shareholders. These numbers prove tha the board and led by Walsh are totally irresponsable.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Standard Life was referred to as an example of the attitude of the larger groupings of shareholders to WW’s strike-busting approach. Not as the only supportinve representative.

My understanding is that once the strike period is up, on June 12 (how quaint for the Daily Mail to believe Unite planned to stop striking to allow people to get to the World Cup!) , the union will have run out of time to negotiate and will not be able to call any further strikes on the same issues.

Good to see the contingency plans are ramping up. although not a long term solution, carrying approaching 80% of booked passengers is impressive, as is running over 70% of the longhaul schedule. exLHR

MartynSinclair
    Participant

are the percentage figures quoted services as in number of flight or number of passengers flown.

I am also slightly confused by the strike dates. Having spoken to BA to reschedule 2 sectors, I have been rebooked onto another potential strike date. Are these strike dates not one continous stream of strike dates with the weekends off inbetween?? Does this meant that even strikers need time off? Why didnt Unite just strike for 1 month. Can someone please explain the “etiquette” about strikes. I understand that 7 day advanced warning rule and the voting system, but i am confused why strikers are taking the weekends off??

VintageKrug
    Participant

oops meant pax. have changed.

actually on reflection BA might be running 80% of services, as all LCY and LGW services are 100%, with 75% of LHR longhaul and 55% of shorthaul running.

VintageKrug
    Participant

They are taking the extra days off as it means supposedly that they should get paid for those days so it keeps the home fires burning while meaning Unite doesn’t have to pay the £45/day strike pay to those who are withdrawing their labour.

Also they hoped BA would not have enough time to reposition the fleet so that effectively it’s a strike day from a customer perspective. In fact BA has oversome this by running fluights to all destinations and most longhaul flights running.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 154 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls