BA STRIKE: 18-22, 24-28 May, 30 May-3 June & 5-9 June

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 154 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

Appalling action on behalf of Unite, the major £3m per year backer of the Labour Party.

Thankfully no services from London City or London Gatwick affected.

Many longhaul services from London Heathrow will continue to operate, being supported by the many Cabin Crew who are not a member of the Union and the 50% of Union members who voted not to strike.

In addition, they will be supported by thousands of volunteer crews from elsewhere in the company who are trained to operate on board 777 and 747 aircraft.

It is mainly the exLHR European shorthaul and domestic services which will suffer.

Frankly I have lost patience with Cabin Crew who support this strike.

Ignorance of economics or business is no excuse for this; if they feel so unhappy in their jobs that they wish to pursue this level of disruptive action, then they should leave the company.

Or be made to leave.

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

This is quite unbelievable as I am supposed to fly to TLV during the strike days.

VK, NT, my flights are supposed to be on 777/767.do you know if the TLV flights will still count as long-haul as although they are operated by long-haul aircraft my worry is that other longer sectors will get priority?

I do want to try BA again but as my trip is for a Barmitzvah, I simply cannot afford not to be able to get there on time.

Any help or advice either of you can give me or indeed anyone else can give would be much appreciated.

Finally, to continue on a recurring theme, i agree with VK’s post above, it seems that the union are hellbent on killing the airline and their members jobs with it.

Safe travels everyone,

Jonathan

VintageKrug
    Participant

Well, I would wait and see what commercial policy they offer.

TLV is deffo longhaul, so no concerns there, unless you are on a 767 service which would be less likely to operate as volunteer crew are not trained on that aircraft.

I would wait for the policy to be announced, and see whether you can get re-booked by BA on ElAl for free.

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Thanks VK,

sound advice which i think i will take. My only concern is that with changes of aircraft possible and a 767 rostered instead of a 777 may cause me a problem.

If i am moved free on to ELAL that would be ok with me but I am desperate to fly with BA again.

I will let you know how I get on.

thanks again,

Jonathan

VintageKrug
    Participant

Off to the pub for some champers as just learned Goingdown Brown has resigned!!

Thank God for that!!

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

If the ash cloud further affects flights to / from LHR on any of those days, will the strike be rebooked onto a later date?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

if i kept the ex Milan flight to BKK, would I be denied boarding at Heathrow for the BKK sector if the Milan flights were cancelled?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Jonno09 – have you tried the Easyjet service from Luton. Friends say it is bearable – only thinking of that option so you dont miss the simcha. Other than that, try going via somewhere wihich has a good connection. I am just about to change my BKK sectors due the strike.

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Hi Martyn,

have not yet tried easyjet from Luton as ELAL fly from Luton as well. If necessary I will book myself on ELAL too so that I can make a choice nearer the time.

Thanks for the idea though, i would use Easyjet if I have no other option. You can be sure I will not miss the simcha.

cheers,

Jonathan

PS In the current situation i do not believe you would be denied boarding if the Milan flights were a victim of the strike. i cannot see BA making a bad situation worse for a loyal customer!!

VintageKrug
    Participant

Commercial policy just released, I would hold back and call BA in the morrow and ask them to rebook you. If you are on a 777 longhaul or to a regularly served shorthaul destination, I still think BA should be able to get you there:

British Airways cabin crew strike

Last updated 20:30 – 10 May 2010

We are disappointed that Unite, the trade union for British Airways (BA) cabin crew, has announced that it intends to take further strike action on:

18 to 22 May
    24 to 28 May
    30 May to 3 June
    5 to 9 June

We are currently considering our response so we can minimise any disruption during this strike period, and aim to provide more details of our plans on Tuesday afternoon (UK time) 11 May.

All our flights are operating as normal at the moment.

Which flights will be affected during the strike?

Due to the excellent levels of support we have received from cabin crew based at London Gatwick, all flights to and from Gatwick will continue to operate as normal.

All flights to and from London City will also be unaffected.

At Heathrow we plan to operate a substantial part of our longhaul schedule and there will be a number of flights to every destination across our shorthaul network.

We are speaking to a number of carriers about leasing in extra aircraft to support our shorthaul schedule and also obtaining thousands of seats from other airlines to help our customers rebook if their original flight is cancelled.

In the event that cancellations are made due to strike action

You will be able to:

Rebook onto another British Airways flight to the same destination within 355 days of the original date of travel
    OR

Rebook onto another British Airways flight to/from the nearest alternative airport (for example, if booked to/from Boston you could rebook to/from Philadelphia or New York)
    OR

Rebook onto an agreed alternative airline, subject to availability.
    OR

Cancel your booking and get a refund.
    All rebooking options will be subject to availability.

Travellator
    Participant

This will be my third strike HIT !

Time for BA to go bang and reopen again next day as BA2 recruiting totally new staff prepared to work hard and give good service for a fair days pay.

This cannot go on – the talking isnt working.

My policy now is the abbreviated Branson slogan NO WAY BA !

BA about to lose many premium flights I have either booked or about to, very sad times.

Potakas
    Participant

So pity again, i have to cancel my flight and i can’t take advantage of the promo with the silver card and the +10.000 miles, as the my rest of the month is full.

Does anyone thinking that WW is doing something wrong? ok i agree that many of these things are because of unite’s bad reaction but do you think that he should find a solution at any the cost?

Potakas
    Participant

So pity again, i have to cancel my flight and i can’t take advantage of the promo with the silver card and the +10.000 miles, as the my rest of the month is full.

Does anyone thinks that WW is doing something wrong? ok i agree that many of these things are because of unite’s bad reaction but do you think that he should find a solution at any cost?

NTarrant
    Participant

Geohoveuk – your comments about BA’s LGW staff are totally unfounded. I regularly travel from LGW and have certainly not come across the crew you describe.

As has been mentioned in other threads, the UK law allows a change of contract given the correct notice as laid down by law. There would be no unfair dismissal providing the procedures are ahered to. Any staff can be given notice of change of contract at anytime irrespective of what has been agreed in the past. When are you going to understand this?

Staff given new contracts have a choice, accept the contract or take a different job within the organisation, assuming one exists or take a redundancy package. That my friend is the law.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 154 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls