BA long-haul – where to next & with what? Winter 2015/16+

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 645 total)

• JasPat1
    Participant

Hi sparkyflyer, good news about BA starting flights from Heathrow to Tehran from July 14th, see the latest headline in BT News.

Re Garuda’s flight from Jakarta to Heathrow (has to stop in Singapore due to Jakarta’s runway problem), way back is nonstop. Flights aren’t yet loaded into the Amadeus GDS (Global Distribution System) yet.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

sparkyflyer – I can’t see BA starting Jakarta. I wonder if the Gulfies are hitting yields for the Europeans ? I ask, because AF is following LH and also axing its Jakarta flights.

JasPat1 – I thought all GA’s London flights routed via AMS. Some operate non-stop to AMS while others also make an en route stop in SIN.

In that case, Jakarta-LHR will either be one-stop or two-stop.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/102278/garuda-to-quit-london-gatwick-for-heathrow

sparkyflier
    Participant

Jaspat and Alex

The routing ex-Jakarta will be via SIN due to runway issues, and the return would be nonstop from LHR to CGK where this is not an issue.

I hope the flight from London is an overnight one, leaving early evening, but what I note is that the airlines who have recently got long haul slots from LHR are at in my opinion bad timings – Avianca and Aeromexico, arriving in their cities at about 4am..

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Thanks, sparkyflyer. So what will happen to AMS ? It’s naturally GA’s main European destination and always has been.

Will GA serve AMS as a standalone destination (i.e. without the London tag) or will it revert to the previous A330 service (which cannot operate the route non-stop) ?

sparkyflier
    Participant

Alex I do not know what Garuda’s plans for AMS are. But on your earlier point I suspect GA doing LHR was a contributing factor to AF’s leaving CGK.

I suspect enough of the pax on both LH and AF were UK bound and that those moving to GA made the route not worthwhile.

BA are berks not to have tried this market, IMO.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

sparkyerflyer – GA are not the best airline as regards PR/publicity. Website still needs updating with the new schedules.

All will become clear in due course.

Jasonltd1
    Participant

So THR announced at last – JUL16

Poshgirl58
    Participant

Hot off the press, or not….

BA Cityflyer is advertising for E190 Captains based at BHX, for an 8-month contract commencing April 2016. As there are no details of new routes or this role on their website, I’m assuming this requirement is to cover charter bookings.

Or, is a longer-term return to BHX on the cards?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Poshgirl58 – 18/02/2016 10:50 GMT

You’re orobably right about a short term arrangement, shame CityFlier are alright.

ba747fan1
    Participant

I think the E190’s are quite nice but the E170’s feel far too cramped to me. Also when you compare the AA E190 in first (1+2), the BA club seat is awful. Do Cityflyer operate the LCY to JFK route or is that Gatwick crew?

ba747fan1
    Participant

I think the E190’s are quite nice but the E170’s feel far too cramped to me. Also when you compare the AA E190 in first (1+2), the BA club seat is awful. Do Cityflyer operate the LCY to JFK route or is that Gatwick crew?

rferguson
    Participant

It’s LGW crew that operate it ba747fan

ba747fan1
    Participant

Thanks – I was guessing it probably would be (or LHR) on basis that Cityflyer fleet is non airbus. Only have done once and it was very quiet on board as only 12 of us (I was lucky enough for BA ground staff to change me to it from LHR flight). It was a good service and very handy being off the plane and in a taxi in about 20 minutes..

FDOS_UK
    Participant

ba747fan1 – 18/02/2016 13:45 GMT

Cityflier’s E170s and E190s are (in common with many carriers in Europe) fitted with seats that double as either economy or business class, as opposed to the fixed first class cabin offered by American Eagle lines that operate these aircraft (aka Compass, Envoy and Republic.)

The difference in Europe is that some airlines (including Lufthansa and LOT) block one of the pair of seats on each side, in business, so that you get more room.

BA doesn’t and ba.com says

“On flights with our London City subsidiary, BA CityFlyer, customers in Euro Traveller enjoy the same comfortable seat width and similar legroom to Club Europe.”

So, unless you want the tier points or the extra F&B, you might decide to book in Y, as the seating arrangement is the same.

The E190 has less seats fitted than possible, whereas the E170 is higher density, thus the difference inlegroom you notice – I believe (but may be wrong) that it is 3-4″ less.

transtraxman
    Participant

I thought the LCY – JFK route was operated by A318s. So what have the Embraers to do with that?

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 645 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls