BA long-haul – where to next & with what? Winter 2015/16+

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 631 through 645 (of 645 total)

• bluemooner
    Participant

Turkish Airlines now offer a non stop Istanbul to Durban service at certain times of the year, the rest of the time it’s an hour stopover in Jbg while passengers alight. (Cannot find the seasonal dates when direct flights operate)
    Given the fact that most Western European passengers do not want to travel via Istanbul or the Gulf as it adds hours to the journey time, surely a London to Durban direct flight makes sense.
    Its mid winter in Durban, temperature is almost always mid 20s C unlike Cape Town or Jbg where the mercury drops like a stone. It’s therefore an all year round destination.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

bluemooner – “Given the fact that most Western European pax do not want to travel via the Istanbul or the Gulf as it adds hours to the journey time.”

That makes sense but then you must remember that not every passenger in Europe is starting in London.

One major selling point of both TK and the Gulfies is the fact they serve dozens of secondary destinations the length and breadth or Europe. They also have keen fares.

And that is why so many travellers are prepared to take those indirect journeys.

JordanD
    Participant

The Tehran delay: is this due to the 787s being delivered late, meaning the 772 required for this route being unable to be released as yet?

Or is it some politics delaying things?

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@JordanD – 22/06/2016 15:47 BST

There was mention somewhere over the past few months of BA’s 787 deliveries being delayed owing to late delivery of their seats.

bluemooner
    Participant

Direct UK to Durban – Given the historical links, the potentially all year round tourist trade and from a business point of view Durban is the 2nd largest commercial city in SA, there surely must be enough business and leisure passengers from the UK wanting to travel direct to fill a flight at least once per week as a starting point. After all shouldn’t airlines provide a service. Durban Airport is extremely busy daily, with people from UK travelling to and from.

ShelinGathiram_
    Participant

Majority of PAX leaving Durban on emirates continue on to the UK so I don’t see why BA or Norwegian (who have stated they want flights to Durban by year end) use these PAX numbers to their advantage

BEYbrit
    Participant

BA or Norwegian will fly to LGW or LHR direct.

EK fly to BHX, NCL, EDI, MAN, GLA, LHR and LGW via Dubai.

The convenience of landing in a local airport after a seamless transit in Dubai and a couple of great EK flights is far far far more attractive than arriving at LGW and then having to Easyjet it up to Scotland…..

Jasonltd1
    Participant

BA fly LGW-EDI/GLA if you need to get to ABZ then hardlines

Jasonltd1
    Participant

but are Easyjet that bad on such a short flight?

BEYbrit
    Participant

It’s not easyjet that’s the problem. It’s the hassle of not being able to check bags through. It’s the hassle of BHX bound passengers having to drive three hours home (or take the train(s) home). It’s the hassle of arriving at airports that aren’t super transfer friendly.

All of these add up to a win for the gulfies who serve the british regions.

canucklad
    Participant

Not sure about the specifics, but does EK and EZ not have some sort of co-operation agreement that allows for seamless onward travel to destinations not covered by EK ?

BEYbrit
    Participant

Maybe, but my point is really in answer to the question of “why not a direct flight from Durban to London when there is so much via-gulf traffic from the UK”.

I guess I’m trying to simply say that a circuitous route to Durban (or elsewhere) via the Gulf is more attractive than a direct flight from London for a big chunk of the UK’s population.

BEYbrit
    Participant

Anyway, it’s kind of going off-topic.

Back on topic….whatever happened to the Honolulu ‘sure thing’ announcement?

sparkyflier
    Participant

When I made a post on this thread, I actually intended to update the more up to date “route” discussion, in which there are the most recent ideas and chat. but updated the former thread by accident.

I will post on that thread to avoid confusion.

onajetplane
    Participant

Delta just announced a seasonal run to Portland starting May 17 so maybe that rules that out for BA now?

Viewing 15 posts - 631 through 645 (of 645 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls