BA long-haul – where to next & with what? Winter 2015/16+

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 645 total)

• Speedbird189
    Participant

Inverness has been added to the network. Daily 319. A bit disappointed that this slot hasn’t been used for an additional TATL destination, but at least they’ve grasped the chance to reconnect the regions.

canucklad
    Participant

For once I’ll laud praise on BA for supporting a city within the UK.
    Good news for Inverness and the surrounding region, let’s hope Highlanders use it and thus ,make it a sustainable route for the future

TheLion
    Participant

Great news on Inverness. A route direct to the doorstep of my ancestral home of Ross-shire!

An early departure from INV would be better for business, although either way you’d need an overnight stay. Wonder if they’ll also consider relaunching NQY, or starting CWL or EXT.

Speedbird189
    Participant

CWL would be brilliant as it would allow BA the bragging rights of flying to Wales and, indeed, every country in the UK. Can’t see BA launching both NQY and EXT, but NQY would be best as it has relatively poor connections. Probably best with a daily 319 from LGW.

TheLion
    Participant

@Speedbird189
    +1. You’re probably right about NQY & EXT too. Perhaps this might be possible at a three runway LHR, as BA could fly smaller more fuel efficient 100-seater jets on thinner routes like those.

Wonder if BA might have a long haul route up their sleeve during World Travel Market. Still half a day to go and there’s also their Capital Markets day tomorrow, which should provide some clues as to route strategy.

GreenScot
    Participant

Is CWL really far enough away to justify flights to Heathrow? It is only about 135 miles away and on the Great Western Line.

Anyway, if they were to get on and build the proposed rail link from Reading to Heathrow then it my mind it could only be a route for a few years.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Speedbird189 – Re NQY. But if I remember correctly, BA tried this route from LGW a few years ago and it failed.

But NQY is keen to develop. It recently scrapped its £5 “development fee” and this has encouraged FR to return and launch a couple of new routes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-34271733

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

With Norwegian sniffing around LGW expansion can see BA putting another 1 or 2 777’s across once more 787’s come in and start routes from there. Maybe more Central America / South America (BOG / PTY) and possibly Durban. I imagine Norwegian would start a LGW-CPT service if they expand as they intend and even possibly DUR – so maybe BA will get in there first. Possibly also Vietnam from LGW for BA. LHR slots will most likely be used on new TATL routes where they have good margin and where the US markets expects to fly into LHR and not LGW.

canucklad
    Participant

The potential for a LHR- CWL route could simply depend on BA thinking out of the box, I’ve no idea on the frequency of their ferry flights, but with a bit of creative thinking to their maintenance schedule could they not squeeze a bit of revenue out of those flights that already operate ?

Do they still fly to St Helier from LHR ?

AndrewinHK
    Participant

Only BA’s big Boeing birds go to Cardiff for maintenance and the pattern of aircraft going down there is changeable so forming a schedule for passenger service isn’t really feasible. Jersey flights operate from Gatwick, have done for a long time.

I think BA need to step up and they have partially so far this year by Lima, JFK announcements, but they actually need to invest in the aircraft they have based at Gatwick. Norwegian have new aircraft all of which have free wifi and relatively cheap fares, BA have brand recognition and an established presence at Gatwick, let’s use the capacity available at an improving airport and standardise the onboard product, or at the very least update it to a level that can compete with the new 787’s

Speedbird189
    Participant

I have to agree with you on the LGW fleet – they are awful. First is of course refurbished, J isn’t too bad when it comes to cleanliness and screen size; but Y+ Y? Atrocious – not only for the outdated decor and small screens, but also the lack of cleanliness.

It’s odd that on the G-Yxxx fleet at LHR, I’ve noticed that, even with the old cabins, there seems to be more care for the fleet in comparison with LGW. Not so untidy.

BA however are taking delivery of 789s quite quickly so hopefully we’ll get some of the G-Vxxx fleet soon from LHR.

Jasonltd1
    Participant

I’ve heard DY are eyeing up BKK, CPT and others from LGW….

Jasonltd1
    Participant

thanks for that !

AndrewinHK
    Participant

BA’s 787-9’s next destinations are Shanghai and Seoul. No 10 across for the 777 fleet, but they will all be converted to 3 class only, first class will be removed and Gatwick 777 fleet will see a reduction in club world seats to accommodate 10% more world traveller seats.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 645 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls