BA long-haul – where to next & with what? Winter 2015/16+

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 645 total)

• TheLion
    Participant

Removing First from their LHR 772s seems like a strategy with little logic. A large aircraft with no First means lots more WT seats to fill. It may make sense on some routes, but not on all.

Ok so maybe they are planning to use their new 789s on those 4-class 772 routes with premium demand. However these are smaller aircraft.

They then leave no room for the growth that will come, particularly as a third runway is in all probability 11-12 years off. This situation dovetails Delhi, where they clearly wanted to cut seat count and therefore hike prices and thus improve yields.

@amc1234 / Speedbird189
    Totally agree re the awful cabins on LGW fleet. Will add my thoughts on that later as am a bit busy this arvo…

Flyboy18
    Participant

amc1234…. Where did you hear that? Like TheLion I think there is little logic in that.

Speedbird189
    Participant

@scott72

I believe this is in from IAG Capital Markets day. Seems to be some information on BA source regarding the changes.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

Yes @speedbird189 is correct it is from the horses mouth, IAG capital markets day. Wifi on 90% of longhaul aircraft by 2019 too.

Speedbird189
    Participant

789 to Seoul increases capacity and re-introduces F to to the route, I’m surprised that Shanghai has been downgraded to the 789 from 77W.

FCTraveller
    Participant

The removal of F on 727-200’s is worrying. I wonder how this will translate in the number of routes where F will be dropped.

Finally a commitment on WIFI but they are coming to the party a bit too late. They should have realised a long time ago that WIFI is a draw for business customers who are their bread and butter. I flew round trip transatlantic on Lufthansa in F last month for the first time ever. In addition to WIFI, they top BA on the ground and at every other level. If I can work whilst flying, then I don’t mind the extra leg via FRA. If BA are starting to lose clients like myself, then I’m afraid they are doing something wrong.

HarryMonk
    Participant

FCTraveller

Try using that wonderful Lufthansa WIFI during the next few days !!!

batterytraveller
    Participant

An interesting thing to note in that presentation – A350s will have a common configuration across the three full service IAG brands, which raises all sorts of questions.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

“Wifi on 90% of longhaul aircraft by 2019” – again BA would have missed the boat. By 2019 the competition will have introduced something far more innovative.

Onboard wifi has been around since ca. 2005!

mkcol74
    Participant

@batterytraveller I spotted that too & wonder if they’ll have the same seat type in each cabin, in particular could this be when they launch a brand new Club World seat? Would be a shame if they missed this opportunity (again).

AndrewinHK
    Participant

Many of the worlds biggest airlines have no wifi onboard, however more and more have announced it will be introduced as major fleet renewal starts, CX for example will introduce wifi when the a350 arrives . BA stated they wanted to wait to see if the technology was proven and also if demand existed. Do most people pick to fly with a carrier because it has wifi, no. Will that feature more in people’s travel preferences by 2019 yes. Has having wifi onboard made Lufthansa a successful highly profitable business, no.

rferguson
    Participant

In regards to the 777’s losing F – could it be that this will be the first of the existing aircraft type to be retrofitted with a still to come new J seat? Me thinks so. 😉

Cheeryguy
    Participant

On board wifi, not fussed one way or the other. If it’s there and free or reasonably priced then fine, but it’s not a game changer for me. Not so many years ago the same fuss was made about phones at the seats or bulkheads.

The 777ER config change, I suspect they are referring to the small subfleet of 9 four class hulls at LHR. They are used for all the long range work. Time will tell.

rferguson
    Participant

All the 777’s based at LHR are ER variants with the exception of three (the ones with 17F seats). I agree though – I don’t think it will be the WHOLE ER fleet that will lose F.

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 645 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls