BA A380 – main or upper deck?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 104 total)

• esselle
    Participant

“.above the end of the seat next to it….”

If indeed it is the seat next to it, you would have to be able to swivel your head like and owl to be able to see, let alone talk, to the person “next” to you.

Trying to sound authoritative about a subject of which you know little puts you in the same camp as VK. That is, in my view, best avoided.

BA744fan
    Participant

As the author of this thread, which incidentally is nothing to do with Emirates Business Class seat configuration, could I draw your attention to the following link, whick clearly shows 4 seats across.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Emirates_Airlines/Emirates_Airlines_Airbus_A380.php

Now, could we get back to the topic I started, which was weighing up the merits of main v. upper deck on BA?

Bucksnet
    Participant

Because the seats are staggered!! I can see this in the photos.

As regards seat plans, it can clearly be seen that 2 business seats take up roughly the same width as one first class seat in the cabin in front. This is as clear as day. Print the seat plan and draw some lines with a ruler if you must. The staggering and row numbering policy seems to be confusing some posters.

Also, the seat plan in the link above clearly states that the Emirates A380 business class seat is only half an inch wider than the economy seat. Business class seats on Emirates 777s are 2 inches wider, but there are only 7 across.

Back on topic, BA business on the A380 top deck is 7 across in a 2-3-2 staggered layout, but not all forward facing or direct aisle access. On the main deck, the same seats are in an 8 across 2-4-2 layout because the cabin is wider.

For the record I have not flown in either cabin, obviously, and I am basing my comments on seat plans, photos and articles from respected publications discussing the subject.

Guest_Poster
    Participant

To help BA744fan get back on topic, let me state from professional knowledge that the Emirates A388 has 4 seats across in business on the upper deck.

They achieve this by using different pitches on some seats, giving a two class cabin.

But it is 4 across, end of story.

Now to the original question, my guess is that the upper deck would be preferable, so long as not in the ‘coffin’ middle seat, in the bank of 3.

Preferable because the two upper cabins will feel less like a dormitory than the main deck.

Bucksnet
    Participant

They achieve 4 across by using different pitches on some seats, giving a two class cabin?

Sorry to question your ‘professional knowledge’, but the seat plan in the link above states that all business class seats on the Emirates A380 have a pitch of 48 inches, and are only 18.5 inches wide. Strange the width is so narrow if there are only 4 across, and no mention of a two class business cabin. But hey, it’s only a respected industry publication so what the hell do they know?

Agreed the middle business class seat on the 7 across BA A380 top deck would be coffin like, and the top deck as a whole would be preferable.

Flyboy18
    Participant

This forum is getting boring, repetitive and just going round in circles. If we all liked the same things life would be very dull so let just accept that we all like different things and all products have their pluses and negatives.

VintageKrug
    Participant

The low level of debate, evidenced in this futile diversion, littered with unprovoked personal attacks, is reducing the forum to puerile inanity.

Guest_Poster
    Participant

Bucksnet – 09/06/2013 09:51 GMT

I suggest you go an look at an Emirates A388 and check for yourself. Take your tape measure and measure the A,K,E and F seats, then contrast with the B, D, G and J seats.

Be_Nice
    Participant

Good morning all

I really don’t understand how ‘new’ posters have an almost attack or confrontational approach so quickly.

Have a good day, if your in T 5 do say and maybe we can meet, here for another hour.

Marlene

BigDog.
    Participant

Suggest Marlene you look back and you’ll find Vintage/Boop casting aspersions toward Guest_Poster shortly after he/she joined,

As usual VB started the unprovoked attacks then attempts to paint himself as the innocent party. Surely you should know by now that is VB’s modus operandi Marlene.

Guest_Poster
    Participant

Be_Nice – 09/06/2013 10:29 GMT

Perhaps you could be the arbiter and measure the seats on an Emirates A380? This may reassure Bucksnet, who has never been on the aircraft, but who doubts what I have posted here.

BA744fan
    Participant

Despite going off topic I have been intrigued by the discussion on Emirates A380. Why would their business class be 4 across yet more than one poster state how narrow the seats are?

Lo and behold, the seat is 18.5 inches across – a full 1.5 inches narrower than BA.

For once, a feather in the cap for the much maligned BA!

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

Oh my.

I thought it was only VB and his myriad of handles which has such an unhealthy desire for attention.

Bucksnet – I count 6 different threads where you peddle this 8-across theory on this here website, maybe I measured wrongly though? I would need to actually see your computer/phone/tablet to know exactly how many subjects you propagate with ill-informed nonsense.

It matters not to you that your position is preposterous, but in fairness to you, I find it incredibly amusing.

Rgds.
    AOTG.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

VintageBoop – 09/06/2013 10:02 GMT
    The low level of debate, evidenced in this futile diversion, littered with unprovoked personal attacks, is reducing the forum to puerile inanity.

How very dare he VB? Eh? I mean, imagine trolling this website with ill-informed claptrap about an airline he’s never even flown? Who does he think he is?

I suggest with great haste we get back to some of the vital issues relating to business travel – may I suggest the following:

– Fairies which we can all locate on etchings in the overcrowded BA lounges
    – The actions of a pilot in averting a catastrophe from 5-years ago
    – Delivery of an aircraft that loads of airlines already have
    – Bathrooms and their importance in selecting a hotel
    – Cowel fastening and the lack of responsibility of the airline to make sure their planes are safe to fly
    – And lastly, and this is a critical subject – Let’s have some information about an event in London where we can all have a glass of Bordeaux and shoot-the-breeze with the big-knobs of BA whilst scoffing some Hob Nobs.

When we get back to this high-quality of debate, and people can stop their ill-informed trolling, this forum will be improved considerably.

Forward-Thinkingly-Yours……
    AOTG.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

How could I forget – we must also endlessly discuss TEA!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 104 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls