BA A380 – main or upper deck?

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 91 through 104 (of 104 total)
  • BA744fan

Have you decided yet?!

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

Why?

It should be left as a shining beacon of the quality of debate one can expect on VB’s Chat Room.

Genuinely mean this; this thread is the funniest thing I’ve seen on the internet since the monkey that pee’d in his own gob.

Rgds.
    AOTG.

BigDog.
    Participant

Bucksnet,

I hope this demonstrates to you why it is viewed as 4 across, with all Business Class seats able to access the aisles without having to climb over anyone.

http://www.samchuiphotos.com/EKA380/EmiratesA380/slides/EK009.jpg

http://www.samchuiphotos.com/Airliners/Category/Cabin/slides/BKKD4421C.jpg

Plus the Bar

http://www.businesstraveller.com/files/News-images/Emirates/A380-launch/IMG_1440.jpg

Bucksnet
    Participant

I understand why it is viewed as 4 across. Ian from HKG has made an excellent post on this in another thread.

Just from looking at your first link, I can see clearly that the seat in the bed position has direct aisle access, but is not actually on the aisle. Instead you have a tiny gap between 2 other seats, which from the seat plan are ‘G’ seats, in which to pass.

The ‘G’ seats are on the aisle and the 2 seats in the middle are not on the aisle, but have direct access to it. This is as clear as day, so surely you can understand my view on this now?

IanFromHKG
    Participant

And the post Bucksnet referred to (which I can’t resist posting a link to) is at http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/Calm-Under-Pressure-This-is-Why-I-Fly-BA?page=3

BA744fan – your original post has gone – perhaps when you tried to delete the thread. I don’t think any of us can know which deck is best until the plane has actually been tried out, but for what it’s worth here is my entirely speculative response. This is thoroughly biased by my own preferences and the fact that most of my long-haul travel is on my own, rather than with the memsahib.

I am guessing that because of its slightly lesser width the upper cabin – because of the lower number of seats across – will be slightly quieter. In addition, if you are in the middle block of three in an aisle seat, there is only a 50/50 chance your neighbour in the middle would have to climb over you (as against the other aisle passenger in the middle block). I am also assuming that the last row of rear-facing seats will have direct aisle access (as do the corresponding seats on the existing planes) with no possibility of anyone climbing over you.

So I would opt for 4AK or 8AK on the upper deck, failing which a D or G seat on the upper deck. I would avoid the upper deck middle (E) seats which – because the seat space narrows on both sides towards the feet as a result of the yin-yang configuration – must surely be a candidate for the most claustrophobic seat in the sky.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Agreed on the 7 across on the top deck being better, but an issue for the middle seat.

Club World has always been an even number of seats – 4 across on the top deck of a 747, 6 across on a 767 and 8 across on a 777 and 747 main deck. It was not designed for an odd number of seats, so the design fails in my view. It’s not that good anyway, but that’s another issue.

The 787 will be 7 across as well, in the same layout as the A380 top deck. BA urgently needs to develop a new business class seat, all forward facing and direct aisle access, that is designed for 7 across as well as even numbered layouts.

The ANA 787 seat layout is 7 across, although some posters will say that one row has 3 seats and the next row 4 and so on, but the middle seat is a lot better than the BA A380/787 middle seat. For the record I’ve flown on neither, and my views are based on photos and seat plans from respected websites.

http://www3.airlinesanddestinations.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/110704-ANA787interior-01.jpg

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

Bucksnet – 10/06/2013 08:34 GMT
    Agreed on the 7 across on the top deck being better, but an issue for the middle seat.

BA’s upper deck is 12 across.

Rgds.
    AOTG.

esselle
    Participant

I cannot believe it just keeps flowing!

I am of the opinion that, of all the Savile Row tailors, Huntsman are consistently better on fit, particularly for the strong military shoulder the Row is famous for, than their main competitors. This is my strongly held view.

I should add that I have never owned a bespoke suit.

Compelling argument…………

IanFromHKG
    Participant

AllOverTheGaff – 10/06/2013 13:07 GMT : BA’s upper deck is 12 across.

Um – only if you draw a line diagonally, I suspect!

VintageKrug
    Participant

Jean Michel Jarre was once married to Charlotte Rampling.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

Hi Ian

No, definitely 12 across.

No doubt.

100%.

Cast iron.

Belt & Braces.

Irrefutable.

Have the evidence right in front of me.

Rgds.
    AOTG.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Pathetic!

BA744fan
    Participant

Ian_from_HKG – I did indeed try deleting the thread as it went so far off topic last night as to become irrelevant.

I appreciate your input.

esselle
    Participant

I’ve just finished making my Airfix model of an A380. I was getting all excited about counting the number of seats on the upper deck when (sobs), I read the bit on the instructions which says “….not to scale…..”

Viewing 14 posts - 91 through 104 (of 104 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls