BA A380 – main or upper deck?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 104 total)

• Anonymous

Bucksnet
    Participant

The seats are the same width, it’s just that the top deck of the A380 is narrower than the bottom deck.

Club World is wider than Emirates business class and at least BA admit to 7 across on the top deck, while Emirates and their fanboys claim 4 across when it is in fact 8.

SimonS1
    Participant

Does BA offer direct aisle access from every seat now?

Flyboy18
    Participant

No BA don’t. But the middle seats on the upper deck will have more shoulder space, this can be seen on the A380 video found on the BA website.

esselle
    Participant

Bucksnet

Here you go again. Have you been on an Emirates A380 yet? Last time you raised this, you admitted that you had not.

Californian
    Participant

The BA A380 video makes it look like at least some of the Club World window seats will have storage bins between the seat and the window as is the case with the current upper deck seats on the 747-400s. Does anyone know if the bins between the window seat and the window will be available on both the upper and lower deck of the A380? Also, does anyone know if the bins will be similar in size to those on the 747? The video makes them look smaller.

Wasborntotravel
    Participant

Hi Californian

Having been on a Qantas A380 upper deck they have bins between the seat and window in both business and Premium however my experience would suggest that they are slightly smaller than those on the B747. Also the overhead bins on the sides do seem smaller as well.

In saying that the bins on the B747 do change slightly in size depending on where you sit as those at the front of the cabin tended to be smaller as the airframe is narrower at this point

I also think its only upper deck, haven’t travelled on the lower deck yet so not able to confirm for the two A380 carriers I’ve flown on

Gold-2K
    Participant

No side storage bins on the man deck. The only reason they are on the upper deck is the same as the 744, curvature of fuselage means seats can’t go right to the windows so would be redundant space. Storage bins on A380 are slightly smaller than on 744 but big enough to be useful.

Hello BA744fan

Having flown on both decks, take-off is like a Sunday drive down the runway, i.e. not very exciting. I like to hear the roar of the engines and shudder down the runway. Don’t expect this on an A380.

If I were you, I would go for the Upper Deck.

pdtraveller
    Participant

As I write at just after midnight in the UK there are over 25 A380 aircraft in the air with 8 over European airspace alone.

Why so much fuss about another 2 being delivered to BA?

It is not as if they are new. Sure they might be able to carry an extra few tonnes of freight but let’s be real – BA are 6 years late to the party! Not only that, but the on board product is the same old product that BA are pushing on their clapped out 747 fleet.

I speak as someone with bookings in F and J on BA A380 services and can tell you that the confused cabin layout of club in particular, split as it is over 2 floors, and with what will soon become the “billy no mates seat” does not fill me with a lot of confidence. It will be interesting to see how 8 or 7 abreast staggered seating compares with Qantas staggered 6 abreast.

First is still 14 seats but unlike QF and indeed most other operators, BA have chosen not to introduce an enhanced product.

Overall not much to get excited about, is it? Unless of course you are in their marketing department or on a retainer.

SimonS1
    Participant

I’m sure VB is excited.

BA744fan
    Participant

So many people on BT are BA bashers, yet continue to fly them. Very strange when you consider there are alternatives on most, if not all of BA’s routes.

VintageKrug
    Participant

It is strange, but that disconnect may well inform their agenda, if indeed they do actually travel BA at all rather than simply being disgruntled former employee(s)…

esselle
    Participant

There are some experts who post here who appear never to have been near any airlines other than BA.

An A 380 is interesting the first time you fly it, but is then like any other plane. BA’s seating set-up is a missed opportunity.

SimonS1
    Participant

I have been on A380s with several airlines. What is so exciting about BA finally making it to the start line?

Are they offering direct aisle access from every seat now?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 104 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls