BA A380 is getting real

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 178 total)

• christopheL
    Participant

Thank you VK for correcting me.
    I’m sure you also remember that AF Concordes were powered with RR/Snecma Olympus 593 which were not exactly made in USA !
    At that time, French and English used to work (and spend a lot of money) together. Such a long time ago …

SteveJohnsonIn0z
    Participant

For those who missed the story now up on BT Asia, in case you’re reading this in the UK, BA’s chairman has dropped hints that HK will be the first A380 route, ahead of New York.

http://www.businesstraveller.asia/middle-east/news/hong-kong-earmarked-for-first-ba-a380

Singapore’s previously been mentioned in the list for early routes, along with Beijing. Be nice if it came through to Australia! But honestly, not only do I have my doubts about this, I wonder if BA might not drop Sydney entirely, just leave their routes LHR-SIN and offload to a QF codeshare, the flipside of the current HK arrangements where BA does the European side of the trip and Qantas runs the down-under leg.

VintageKrug
    Participant

While there is certainly a demand-driven need for an A380 on the HKG route, I’d imagine that it will initially be routed on shorthaul for a few weeks – most probably MAD and AMS – simply to get crew familiar with the aircraft and permit regular maintenance, if required.

The reason the BA airframe is being constructed well in advance of its delivery date is because this is the first of the MTOW-enhanced versions, and needs extra testing for certification by Airbus prior to BA getting it into service.

Then I’d expect a brief sojourn on the NYC to get it out on the flagship route, if only for publicity, and also a relatively short route which should also permit greater crew and pilot familiarisation.

After that, and especially once the second A380 is delivered, I think Hong Kong is one of the most likely candidates to have regular A380 service before its use is broadened out across the network.

As I suggested back in 2008, running a Sydney service only stacks up in the long term if it’s making money for BA.

However, here is an imperative in the coming years to continue service – even in skeleton form as at present- in light of the demise of the JSA, to demonstrate continuity; what impact Qatar will have on this remains to be seen.

BA’s new fleet will help on the efficiency front.

Personally, I’d be saddened but not surprised to hear that BA will quit Sydney on its own metal within the next few years. However, codeshares will of course continue, and if the operating carrier’s standards are up to it, then I really don’t see why anyone would have an issue with that, apart from the loss of this as an onbusiness redemption opportunity, which would indeed be a drawback.

Just over seven months after LHRTraveller’s first post on this thread, BA has now confirmed LA and Hong Kong as the first and second long-haul routes for its A380 superjumbo:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/ba-confirms-la-as-first-a380-route

JasmineBear
    Participant

BA has also posted a short video of the interior as part of its announcement.

http://www.britishairways.com/en/information/flight-information/airbus-a380?source=R01

andystock
    Participant

The Upper Deck Economy and Prem Economy look good, the Window Seats look like they have pleanty of Space at the side!

EnigmaticStar
    Participant

Well, that is me now booked out to Los Angeles to see what it’s like!

£499.35 return

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Well dont that is a very good price!!

Has anyone noticed in the video that there is an amendment to the New First cabin if you look carefully you will notice the shell size of the seat looks bigger as it extends further out.

EnigmaticStar
    Participant

Yes – not bad! I’d decided not to go to the US this year as I’ve had my fill of it for the last 3….but it was too good an opportunity to pass up!

JohnHarper
    Participant

Well from the video there is no wow factor. The seats look the same as the ones on the 773 which reports suggest are an improvment in Y and W but it then seems to feature old club world and premium business.

Disappointing and another wasted opportunity.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Not at all. Just goes to show the high level of demand for BA seats.

Out of curiosity if BA offered the same type of premium seating as SQ, EY etc in F & J would you be willing to pay more for your ticket to get it?

VintageKrug
    Participant

Quite a lot of award availability is evident on these initial services – suggest you strike now (no, not that sort of strike!) if you’re keen to sample BA’s A380.

Binman62
    Participant

Looks lovely and I am sure it will look great in reality also. But for me it is 6 years too late and the premium products in particular are stale and out of date. No matter how you cut it, in Club you do not have aisle access and that for me is a huge disadvantage.

I am really sad to see such an opportunity wasted in this way.

BA may do very well on these routes but I do not think the hard products will compare favourably to either CX or AA who have their new business products on both routes.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I’m very much looking forward to sampling the new cabins; A380 will feature a slightly larger F seat footprint, with every A380 featuring an F cabin, as well as the new WT and WT+ cabins in this new MTOW version of the A380.

Both the F and Economy cabins are under three years old, and Club is less than six in its latest iteration.

It’s great to see BA beginning delivery of its newest flagship, a huge opportunity to increase capacity and further profits as the new fleet comes online.

The 2-3-2 layout in J means that most people will indeed have direct aisle access while still being able to take advantage of the patented ying/yang seating configuration giving privacy while at the same time allowing couples to see and speak to each other through the divider should they so wish.

British Airways flies Club World to over 100 destinations globally direct from London.

There are other ways, and there is British Airways.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

VK, the 2-3-2 J layout is only in the upper deck the bottom still will have the 2-4-2.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/ba-b787-and-a380-layout-confirmed

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 178 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls