BA A380 is getting real

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 178 total)

• Anonymous

LHRtraveller
    Participant

Here is the first picture of the first BA A380, registration G-XLEA:

http://a380production.com/

Aircraft should leave the final assembly line in Toulouse sometime in September and should fly to Hamburg soon after this for cabin outfitting and painting.

The First bird is supposed to be delivered in April 2013, the second in June 2013 and the third in July 2013.

First destination should be LAX followed soon after by HKG.

Interior will be the same as the B777-300er with some minor alteration the the first class cabin

AMcWhirter
    Participant

“Interior will be the same as the B777-300ER … “

Will that mean 8-across in J class on the upper deck ?

LHRtraveller
    Participant

Cabin should be:
    Main deck: First, Club and World Traveller same config as B747
    Upper deck: Club 2-3-2 (Like B787), World Traveller Plus and World Traveller

LeTigre
    Participant

Sounds good!

BA have got some jammy slots to get their deliveries one a month in the summer.

LHRTraveller, thanks for the info, can you confirm any 787 delivery times and 2–4–2 config?

LHRtraveller
    Participant

Delivery of B787 should be 2 in May and 2 in June and an other 4 after the summer, but still awaiting confirmation of delivery slot from Boeing. Club will be 2-3-2 not 2-4-2. First commercial flight should be somewhere on the eastern seaboard of north america

millionsofmiles
    Participant

2-3-2 on a 787? This is almost as cramped as Eco.

How does BA want to compete with that?

Same with the 8 seats on a 747 in CW, even if a bit staggered…just too tight.

I wouldnt ever choose BA with such tight and uncomfortable seat arrangements. The advantage of nonstop from LON (in some cases) goes only that far…

I’d rather waste a few hours with a transfer connection and have space, comfort and good service.

Just checked: BA is tightest, others have max. 2-2-2, Qatar and ANA are configured 1-2-1. Soooo….bad chance!

I don’t understand why formerly serviceoriented airlines like BA, and partially LH, are going down down down with their hardware and software offering. THAT way you dont keep customers.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Delivery seems a long time from leaving the final assembly line, but I thought BA were not taking any with wing problems.

I doubt LAX will be the first route. A rotation takes more than 24 hours, so will require 2 or more planes to be delivered before daily flights can commence. More than likely something short like DXB or JFK.

7 across on the top deck is fine. Emirates have 8 across and are very popular.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Great info, LHRtraveller.

I was under the impression that services would commence with shorter routes, just as Air France did with their London-Paris jaunts…? I can see a few rotations to AMS and MAD as a consequence, for crew/engineering/turnaround/pilot familiarisation, prior to commencement of longhaul operations.

The design of Club World gives most travellers a very clearly defined space, wide at the shoulders and narrow near the feet. It can’t therefore be properly compared with standard seat layouts.

Because of that unique ying/yang set up, greater density can be accommodated without compromising personal space.

As you “wouldn’t ever choose BA” I don’t imagine there will be any way to persuade you otherwise. Most of us prefer personal experience, and I have to say that I find Club World perfectly fine, though of course the Upper Deck is considerably better if you can book a seat there.

Take a look for yourself; doesn’t look cramped to me:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2f/BA_New_Club_World_seat.jpg

dutchyankee
    Participant

@MillionsofMiles, I believe the Ying/Yang layout of the BA CW takes a smaller footprint in the cabin and hence can be 2-3-2, where as the forward facing seats require more floor space (I could be wrong of course, but it does seem this way). I don’t believe it is cramped, and I always have a great flight’s sleep!

I personally find the Ying/Yang combination excellent. I also do not think it is fair to compare airlines such as the Middle Eastern and Asian carriers to their European competitors as the vast majority from those regions are heavily subsidised where the Europeans are private, and need to maximise profit (talking about number of seats here, not service, service should never be compromised).

Tim2soza
    Participant

We are comparing apples and pears. The 1-2-1 layout are on diagonals, and while seat length is often lose to 6 foot 6, pitch is 48-50 inches.

The BA 2-4-2 config has alternating rear facing seats.

If you measure seat size in square inches, or square Eurometres, both alternatives are of similar proportions.

rodders
    Participant

It would be nice for a change to applaud BA as the first airline in the world to introduce both the A380 and the 787 rather than knocking them! I think the layout looks fine and as others have mentioned CW gives a good nights sleep.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Rodders, BA are in fact one of the last to have an A380 and 787 in their fleet. Also the fleet have nothing new to offer.

VintageKrug
    Participant

The above statement regarding being the last to receive the A380 and 787 is completely untrue.

The A380 will indeed feature minor innovations in premium cabins, which have yet to be revealed. But there will be no bling, and long may that continue.

In fact, BA’s A380 will be the first of the new breed enhanced MTOW A380s; of particular value to BA as cargo is a growing part of the business mix, and demonstrating the value in waiting for the better variant to become available, as well as getting over some of the not-insignificant issues which have afflicted the plane in its first few iterations.

I really don’t understand this obsession you have with things having to be “new”. If there’s an established product which works well, and is consistent across the fleet, why change it every two years?

excessbaggage
    Participant

I’m with VintageKrug on this one – BeckyBoop’s statement is incorrect.

By my reckoning around 50-55 carriers have ordered the B787, and only two have so far put it into service. If BA is getting its first Dreamliner next year i find it pretty unlikely the other 50-odd will be getting theirs before them.

The scenario is a bit different with the A380 – around 20 carriers have ordered the superjumbo, and i think either 8 or 9 have take deliveries. I believe only Thai Airways will now get the aircraft before BA, so they will be around the middle of the pack with this aircraft.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 178 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls