BA A380 is getting real

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 178 total)

• VintageKrug
    Participant

Indeed, I’d be curious to know if Shanwick has even flown BA Club recently…?

Shanwick1249
    Participant

T2Man

I don’t think I ever said there was anything lacking in BA’s ‘physical product’. I’m EC Gold and that’s because I appreciate and value the reliability of the CW cabin. There are still too many airlines out there who don’t have or can’t guarantee fully-flat beds and that is BA’s biggest and best (and some would say only) advantage.

What I did say was that it was a shame that BA was not taking the opportunity gifted by the A380 – as others, like Emirates, have done – to move up a gear or two. BA’s cabins have been good for a long time, but they are clearly no longer among the very best. I hope they care about that.

VintageKrug
    Participant

As has already been articulated, had the A380 been delivered on schedule, the new F, WT+ and WT cabins would have been launched on that aircraft.

As they were delayed, they premiered on the 777-300ER.

I believe BA’s new cabins are the right product for Club, WT+ and WT. The key failing is the quality of the screen, which could have been better. However, I think this will be fixed in the A380.

I like the F cabin; I genuinely dislike suites, they are too claustrophibic and I don’t like them one bit. New F works better in a 777 than a 747, but the 747s won’t be around forever.

WoburnMan
    Participant

Lets hope the toilets are slightly bigger because they are not on the new 777-300!

MarcusUK
    Participant

VintageKrug
    Participant

Yes it looks like a short delay.

But I think everyone’s past holding their breath for these new airframes, and much better they be delivered functioning, than with innate flaws. Another advantage of not jumping in too early.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

With this delay pushed out by further 12 months I wonder if BA will make some last minute enhancements to First. The should be worried now as SQ are now launching new products in all cabins.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/sia-to-launch-new-premium-seating-next-year

VintageKrug
    Participant

I think it’s only six months’ delay, not a year.

Don’t really think SQ’s decision will worry – or indeed affect – BA in the slightest. THere’s no indication what SQ’s seats will actually be like.

Could be they’ve decided the current layout is uneconomical, and a higher density configuration will be rolled out.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

I doubt it will be higher density SQ products are highly favored by some of the members on this forum and are always high in the Skytrax rankings

http://www.worldairlineawards.com/index.htm

VintageKrug
    Participant

For the nth time, Becky, Skytrax is a farce, and is currently being investigated by the Advertising Standards Authority:

http://www.ttgdigital.com/news/asa-to-investigate-skytrax-over-airline-reviews/4684293.article

Many gripes on the comments here about SQ’s regional products and its 15 year old Raffles class seating, still used on routes like AMS-SIN:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/sia-to-launch-new-premium-seating-next-year

Whilst passengers may like the lower densities, if they are not profitable, they will go. We have no authoritative information about what SQ is really planning, and it may be a range of options, including withdrawing F on some routes, or adding a PE cabin. Best to wait and see rather than speculation.

Profit has to be the focus.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Are the BA pilots who will be flying these, getting any work experience flying them on any other airline?

VintageKrug
    Participant

BA’s new A380 has rolled out of the hangar!

dutchyankee
    Participant

I think we are all surprised you weren’t in it, and Becky is probably wishing you were under it!

coudntthinkofaname
    Participant

Haha @dutchyankee – very funny.

VK – did you get out of the wrong side of the bed this am? I thought your comments to BB on the Will and Kate thread were a little harsh. I hope, for your sake, you have an infallible spell/grammar checker 😉

sparkyflier
    Participant

dutchyankee you caused a huge belly laugh to come out my office which the whole floor heard! Thank you for that, it was much needed.
    It is fair to say some contributors to this forum can sometimes be bereft of good manners and good energy.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 178 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls