Airports opening, airlines flying – the re-emerging of aviation.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 192 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=999797]whilst we appear to agree on the impossibilities of social distancing when flying, my point was that undoubtedly there will social distancing on entry into an airport for the sake of ‘social decency’[/quote]

Given the constrained nature and layout of many airports I wouldn’t say anything fitted in the category of “undoubtedly”.

At Gatwick South for example the entrances from shuttle, train station, car parks, buses and drop off points all converge in a very small area….practically I don’t see it working well if at all.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

One of the issues I have noted is that airlines say they will restart flights on a specific date.

But there can be a last minute change owing to govt intervention as we see today in the Philippines.

MarcusGB
    Participant

Indeed, we see in the BT News articles, that Many Airlines will be running “X % of their Flights by July/ August.

For the UK, where travelling must be considered Essential only, and justified, how can we even possibly begin to book, when so many countries also have their Borders closed, even if we were allowed too?!

There is No news for the Aviation Sector from the UK Government, no plan, not even policy goals at this time.
    Until these “Air bridges” are established, between countries, (and now Epicentres are South America, Central America where the Pandemic is raging),
    there will be no flying, booking, airlines running services.

The Airlines are putting pressure on Governments, and enticing The passengers for flights, with no clear Policy from Governments, no border entries altered, no timetables of a way forwards,

The UK remains on the “Red List” in terms of rick, for receiving incoming passengers around the World, for our poor management, and death rates.

So who would want us to suddenly jump forwards and establish an Air Bridge with us Just now, having one of the current top 3 death rates Worldwide, and still significant daily confirmed infections?

2 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1000664]So who would want us to suddenly jump forwards and establish an Air Bridge with us Just now, having one of the current top 3 death rates Worldwide, and still significant daily confirmed infections?[/quote]

There are many countries who will look to open up air bridges.

Partly because the economies of places like Spain and Greece (which were already hit by the collapse of Monarch/Thomas Cook) are dependent on having some form of tourist season, and UK residents have always been a core part of that.

Also thankfully the people who make the decisions can work out that in terms of new infections the UK isn’t in the top 20 globally, numbers are steadily falling and it is’t what has happened historically that is critical to making decisions for the future. That is why shops are re-opening, isolation rules being relaxed and the 2m rule will undoubtedly be changed.

ASK1945
    Participant

From today’s BBC website:

“New Zealand has confirmed two new cases of coronavirus, ending a 24-day streak of no new infections in the country. The cases relate to two women from the same family, both of whom had travelled from the UK and were given special permission to visit a grieving parent.

Last week New Zealand lifted all domestic restrictions, declaring that the country was virus-free. However, strict border restrictions remained in place – with only citizens and essential workers allowed in.

But exemptions can be granted and Dr Ashley Bloomfield, New Zealand’s director-general of health, said there was an “agreed plan in place as part of the approval process [including] the travel arrangements”.

It’s not known if the patients are citizens of the UK, New Zealand, or elsewhere.”

How sad for the persons involved and also for the New Zealand population in general.

2 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1000687]There are many countries who will look to open up air bridges.[/quote]

Would be interested to know any country outside of Europe who is considering an air bridge with the UK.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

You will have read about the latest Covid-19 cases in Beijing.

Now on June 16 it would appear that the authorities are restricting domestic aviation from Beijing.

No news yet regarding mainline rail.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1000693]Would be interested to know any country outside of Europe who is considering an air bridge with the UK.[/quote]

Time will tell. I imagine places like UAE and Qatar would be candidates as places where the economy is quite dependent on expats and tourists.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1000705]Time will tell. I imagine places like UAE and Qatar[/quote]

I took your original quote (#1000682) as being factual not thought….

It appears the air bridges are to open the summer holiday market economy only.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1000708][/postquote]

My first post was referring to Europe. It is fact that discussions are underway, for example an interview with Portuguese Foreign Minister here where (unless he is making it up) he looks forward to welcoming British visitors and says they are in discussions with Foreign Office.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/quarantine-coronavirus-portugal-air-bridge-priti-patel-uk-a9546171.html

And here the Greek tourism minister is quoted as saying he hopes a deal can be struck.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/greece-offers-air-bridge-for-british-tourists-9kwngdcql

You then asked specifically about places outside Europe….always harder because of distance and less strong holiday ties….that is why I said “I imagine”.

ASK1945
    Participant

Could the smaller Caribbean countries, such as Barbados, Antigua, St Lucia etc be likely candidates for opening up very soon by “Air-bridges”?

Whilst the Summer is off-season for many visitors, the islands do rely on tourism for a major part of their GDP. Prices do drop then and thus keep the hotels busy with especially UK tourists.

Conversely, many nationals of these countries do use the flights to visit family in the UK and may not be put off by the full of holes “Quarantine”.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Is this new term “airbridge” just a euphemism to foreign countries “let UK nationals in” – after all, until 8th June, a one way “airbridge” existed for anyone wanting to visit the UK and arguably with the ineffective quarantine / self isolation, anyone still wanting to visit the UK can….

[quote quote=1000709]You then asked specifically about places outside Europe….always harder because of distance and less strong holiday ties….that is why I said “I imagine”.[/quote]

People need to move and not just to go on holiday….

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1000745][/postquote]

Indeed, me included. The next review of quarantine is due on 29th June, so maybe it will be a question of the policy being removed without too much egg on faces. Then the gradual return to normality can continue.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello Marcus – Are you back in Europe or still in Australia ?

It appears Australia is closing its borders until 2021.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-17/borders-likely-closed-until-next-year-coronavirus-restrictions/12365978

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1000747]Indeed, me included. The next review of quarantine is due on 29th June, so maybe it will be a question of the policy being removed without too much egg on faces. Then the gradual return to normality can continue.[/quote]

These are 2 separate issues.

1. removal of the ineffective and daft light touch UK quarantine rule – I agree with you, it’s likely to happen

2. ‘Air Bridges’ – on the basis the above happens, UK returns to open borders, the air bridge becomes nothing more than the UK pleading to foreign counties, ‘let UK nationals in’. The ‘air bridge’ into the UK becomes irrelevant.

Will also be interesting to see how the UK reacts to the latest outbreak in Beijing. According to the news wires, many flights in /out of Beijing cancelled. I wonder if the LHR flights to/from Beijing will be amongst the cancelled flights….

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 192 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls