787 DREAMLINER DELAY TO BA

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 146 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello travelworld

“just look how cramped the first class seats are on the early Pan Am aircraft … “

Yes, but this where a photo doesn’t tell the whole truth.

First class downstairs appears cramped with today’s first class but then passengers had use of a separate dining room on the upper deck.

http://www.retroist.com/2013/01/01/pan-am-had-dining-rooms/

But at the same time, look at Pan Am’s economy class cabin. See how spacious the economy seats were on Pan Am’s early B747s.

That’s because the B747 seating in the 70s was 9-across rather than the 10-across of today.

flyingcanadian
    Participant

Gd day to you all.
    I see that Ethiopian has flown its first 787 Dreamliner to Nairobi today, with no problems. Japan Airlines are still testing their 787, and said it might not fly until JUNE!!
    However, Boeing will have to pay Billions in compensation to airlines for lost revenue.
    These dates are earlier than forecast earlier this year!
    Lets hope for a better future for the 787!

StephenLondon
    Participant

@flyingcanadian, it is Ethiopian that flew today, not Etihad.

flyingcanadian
    Participant

Thanks StephenLondon!

As soon as I posted it, I knew I had the wrong Airline. However, I have been too busy to update it. AC has just signed a code-share with Etihad, and I think my mind was on that. It means, I can earn FF miles with a ME carrier, and give me a change from EK!
    Whatever the airline, it is a start again for the 787.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

I wouldn’t get too excited about this aircraft, it’s all about playing sardines and will be especially unpleasant in Y, due to lack of shoulder width.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

a fire risk that they still have not identified and hence cannot remedy…a containment box is hardly a solution as, presumably, the battery is needed and on fire is hardly functional…..

with the present situation I wouldn’t risk it until they’ve logged a vast number of fire-less flights!

sparkyflier
    Participant

I am inclined to agree with FDos about the 787.

The more I learn about aircraft, especially the seating layout most airlines are adopted, the less excited I am about flying it, and thus choosing it.JAL and ANA appeal, but Japan is sadly not really on my likely travel plans.
    A friend of mine flew an ET 787 a few months, who is real aero geek, was quite “excited” about it, but was glad to get off!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

So far, only JAL and ANA have gone with a 2-4-2 layout in their Y cabins for the B787.

But then ANA switched to a 3-3-3 layout for those B787s which operate on domestic routes.

Only one B787 carrier so far, namely QR, has introduced what might be described as really spacious seats in J class with a four across layout.

JordanD
    Participant

The latest report from ‘informed sources’ on FlyerTalk appear to suggest

Hearing that the first flight will be on the BA 265 to IAD 4th July

tiggerbrown
    Participant

Have tried to find the seatplan for the 787 but can’t see it – have I missed something?

If not, I wonder why they’ve published the A380 plan but not the 787.

rferguson
    Participant

Latest rumor is inaugural flight will be 4th July – LHR – IAD.

I start my 787 training course in a couple of weeks. Quite excited. Will be so nice to actually work onn something ‘new’.

It’s not just about the new aircraft though. The crew working on it will work differently. Firstly, all the crew working on it have applied to work on the 787 instead of the usual BA style of allocating on seniority. The 787 crews will also form part of new teams. These small teams will fly together as crews approximately once every four weeks to improve performance management and development. CSD’s on the 787 will also perform a dual ground-air based role. This system of working will also apply to the A380 crews it is believed.

On board it has been rumored that there will be no carts/trolleys in CW and a move to a complete service by hand. But as details won’t be know for sure until the training courses commence, let’s wait and see for the fact versus the rumor. 🙂

tiggerbrown
    Participant

Thanks londonlad for showing me the seatmap.

Thanks for that rferguson – does sound very interesting & exciting, especially the new way of working.

Here’s hoping it will engender a better sense of teamworking.

canucklad
    Participant

Morning rferguson……

Does this mean that n the new aircraft legacy will work beside mixed fleet at last ?

rferguson
    Participant

Hey Canucklad,

No, for whatever reason the current BA management are determined to keep the fleets separate. Amongst the crew themselves there is majority support on both sides of Mixed/Legacy fleets to work alongside each other. But I guess the reality is, BA does not want legacy fleet crew to have any sense of comfort in the longevity of their current T&C’s. I think the wish is that over the next 5-10 years as our share of flying continues to shrink (especially the lucrative earning routes) the majority of us will just leave the company – take redundancy, part-time contracts,perhaps eventually there will be a carrot dangled to give up our contract and transfer to MF (the ex BMI crew were offered £10K to take a Mf contract). But yes, I think the plan is for within ten or so years for legacy fleet to basically not exist. Allowing the two fleets to work alongside each other would hamper this outcome.

What we are seeing with the 787 I guess is more Mixed Fleet ways of working in terms of closer performance management and development. With such a huge amount of crew on the legacy fleet and down to the fact that you very rarely fly with each other it is easy to be terrible at your job yet slip through the net. Short of being caught stealing or being witnessed trashing your hotel room, it is very difficult to sift out the bad apples. When we will be flying with the same team and manager every 4-6 weeks, it will be a lot easier to identify those that aren’t doing their job properly. Which is perhaps why there are some very vocal opponents to the ‘team’ concept within the crew community. But the plan is to trial this on the 787 fleet, followed by the A380 fleet and eventually being rolled out across legacy fleet.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 146 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls