787 DREAMLINER DELAY TO BA

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 146 total)

• flyingcanadian
    Participant

Hi rferguson.
    Very interesting article. and I can see the concept. Re your 2nd paragraph, when you have crews only qualified on particular aircraft, when there is an A/C change, and you have a crew on a night-stop layover, not qualified to fly the return flt, it leads to problems. I saw this with AC in the 70s & 80s, and crew stuck in foreign countries waiting for an aircraft on which they were qualified to return to home base. Pilots and Cabin crew were both affected.
    However, it does identify those who are “Not doing their job properly”.
    Good luck with the 787!

Bucksnet
    Participant

trident3 – 22/02/2013 10:11 GMT – “TWA800 was shot down by a surface to air missile fired from an updated type 21, just like AF447” WTF ? Bucksnet, you need to get out less !

I think you mean get out more trident3.

Anyway, there is a documentary airing soon about the crash not being accidental. If it’s not accidental dumb sheeple, then what does that leave? A bomb or a missile, and in this case a missile. Some of the original investigators, experts in their field, are breaking their silence on the issue: –

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/06/19/us/twa-crash-claim/index.html

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/06/18/twa-flight-800-investigators-break-silence-in-new-documentary-claim-original/

“They also provide radar and forensic evidence proving that one or more ordinance explosions outside the aircraft caused the crash.”

I can’t wait to watch it…

rferguson
    Participant

Hey all, just finished my 787 aircraft course last week. Seems a very impressive aircraft. Obviously we don’t yet have an aircraft to visit but the ‘mock up’ and slides/pix we saw of the cabin look great. The course comprised of two days of safety and emergency procedures and two days of customer service training including some Q&A with senior management.

The main points:
    – Confirmed the 787 will operate the current daily 767 ARN rotation from 9-31AUG.
    – Confirmed the first two 787 regular routes from 1SEP will be YYZ and EWR (did not specificy which rotations but I would assume the current 767 ones)
    – Confirmed that the 787-900’s will have First fitted. Although did not mention if it will be all or just some.
    – Seven 767’s to leave the longhaul fleet by end of 2014. Entire 767 fleet (14 a/c) to not exist by end of 2017.

New about the 787:
    – CW spead over two ‘mini cabins’ with three rows in the forward cabin (and NO baby bassinets!) and two rows in the mini cabin aft of door two. There is already a seatmap here on BT or easy to find on google.
    – CW colour palate changed to a brown – bronze tone to look ‘warmer’ than the current sterile off-white.
    – CW seat definitely looks more spacious. The 787 is close to 777 width. The solo centre ‘E’ seat has a second storage drawer alongside the seat.
    – the seat divider buttons have been moved from their current ‘hidden’ spot on top of the divider to the main control panel.
    – an upgraded version of Thales IFE system.
    – All toilets automatically flush after use and then closes it’s own toilet seat!
    – Mood lighting throughout the aircraft with 17 ‘scenes’.
    – the ability to control the air ventilation and filtration dependent on the load of passengers.
    – steam ovens throughout the aircraft to hopefully improve the quality of the often dried out food currently served.

Product enhancements:
    – the only product/service enhancement that will initially appear on the 787 will be a hand run bar service taking drink orders and preparing the beverages in the galley and delivering them individually.
    – the following CW enhancements will first be launched on the A380, followed by the 787, then system wide.
    : hot meals plated in the galley
    : a hot soup option as starter.
    : a choice of desert including a hot option.
    : and in WTP hot bread selection served from the basket.
    – The senior manager that gave us our Q&A also insisted that enhancements for ALL cabins including F and Y are to be announced soon.

Hermes1964
    Participant

rferguson

Thanks for the update. I guess if the crew are going to enjoy the 787 then this goes a long way to enhancing the customer experience. You are always so enthusiastic, but I hope your colleagues are too.

Nice to the see the removal of trolleys. Was there any instruction on heating the soup bowls before serving (please?!).

Mrs Hermes will be on to Boeing about the toilet seat technology – do they do house calls I wonder? 😉

ps (Anyone else remember the Comet 4 when the seat was the flush?)

Ellwood
    Participant

rferguson, you are a star!
    My trip to ARN on BA780 31st Aug is going to be very good fun now!
    So now I have to decide if I take the £79 upgrade offer for a flat bed or stay in the back and hope I can get WTP and just about manage to fit in a whole film with the gate to gate IFE!

Papillion53
    Participant

Good afternoon Rferguson – well we saw it first!!LOL! Thats interesting information, expect you’re looking forward to its arrival. We had a very interesting visit to the Boeing Future of Flight near Seattle just the other week and the latest BA 787 was almost at the end of the production line, in full BA livery, so we saw it close up. Not fitted out internally at that stage of course, but looked impressive all the same. There were another 3 lined up on the Tarmac outside the factory. We were there at the same time as the first Jetstar 787 was rolling off the same production line and there were a host of Australia journalists and TV crew there being shown around.

We also saw the massive Dreamlifter taking off – for those who don’t know, it is a modified 747 with a huge cargo “belly” capable of transporting 787 fuselage parts from the various factories making them to the Boeing field near Seattle to be put together on the 787 production line. I really didn’t think it would get off the ground – it was truly huge and it was quite incredible to watch it thundering down the runway.

I’m still a bit jet lagged this afternoon, but will post more info and some photos on this when I’m “recovered”!!! 😉 LOL!

Edited to add: I’m with mrs Hermes – I hate it when badly trained men leave the loo seat up!!! ;-). All of ours at home self-close, so I am often forgetting when I travel, or worse, stay at friends, and “drop” the loo lid with a bang! So please Mr Male Travellers, close the seat and lid, it makes it a much more pleasant experience for us girls! Thank you! 🙂

trident3
    Participant

Hey Bucks,
    Not disputing theory about TWA800, just your linking that to demise of AF447…..

rferguson
    Participant

Oh and one last little update I forgot to add to the above post:
    It will soon (within the next few weeks) be announced that passengers can use their mobile phones as soon as the aircraft turns off the runway after landing instead of waiting until engine shutdown. This is in line with many other airlines.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hi rferguson – your last update is interesting. For several years now cabin crew have been announcing after landing that mobiles need to remain off as they can interfere with the aircraft instruments.

This sudden U Turn by BA, has there been any scientific foundation to the U Turn or is it BA caving in to something cabin crew could not enforce?

I am very interested about this as perhaps shows that BA were wrong for all these years about the use of mobiles on board, once the aircraft has landed..

SimonS1
    Participant

I can’t believe so many other airlines would allow it (indeed even invite it) if there was any risk. In fact if there was any meaningful risk, mobile phones would presumably not be allowed on board to start with.

Indeed has it been established that mobile phones have caused a plane to crash – ever?

Bucksnet
    Participant

Hey trident3

TWA800 and AF447 were both shot down the same way, but no other link between the 2 events as far as I know.

FrDougal
    Participant

Martyn…

You’ll find its not BA asking you to switch off your phone from gate to gate, it’s british law which enforces you to do so courtesy of the CAA and therefore we are all expected to follow it every bit as much as we are expected not to rob a bank, drive without a seatbelt or murder someone! Lol!

However BA is working with the CAA to try to encourage a change in the rules to bring it more up to date. However until the date it is permitted it will remain illegal to switch on a phone until otherwise informed so best not to back chat to the crew over the fact!

However there was a fatal accident back in the 90s which resulted in a knee jerk reaction by most European countries to ban the use of mobile phones onboard it’s aircraft which still remains today!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossair_Flight_498

MartynSinclair
    Participant

FrDougal – if it was a CAA requirement (or even “British Law”), other airlines, would not allow passengers to turn cell phones on before the aircraft reached the gate, when landing in the UK.

The Crossair flight is irrelevant to this discussion – we are talking about cell phones going on after the aircraft has landed….not in flight (if indeed it did on the Crossair flight).

FrDougal
    Participant

Nopes, only UK registered aircraft flying under a UK AOC are required to enforce it.

Bit like how Ryanair although with numerous bases all around Europe fly Irish registered aircraft and are trained and follow Irish aviation law!

I’m not making it up ya know!!!!

Sorry hate quoting wiki but here ya are…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phones_on_aircraft

“A 2000 study by the British Civil Aviation Authority[12] found that a mobile phone, when used near the cockpit or other avionics equipment location, will exceed safety levels for older equipment (compliant with 1984 standards). Such equipment is still in use, even in new aircraft. Therefore, the report concludes, the current policy, which restricts the use of mobile phones on all aircraft while the engines are running, should remain in force.”

And the crossair bit is relevant, it provides a background to the ban of mobile phones on aircraft and the belief (rightly or wrongly) that they cause interference!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I understand why you hate quoting wiki, that first paragraph really does send a very confused message.

“I’m not making it up” – errmmm – I will leave that for you to work out.

Have a good weekend…

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 146 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls