787 DREAMLINER DELAY TO BA

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 146 total)

• VintageKrug
    Participant

On this broad theme, there is what should be an excellent documentary on C4 this Sunday evening at 8pm:

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/programme-information/a-great-british-air-disaster

Great British Air Disaster: Diary of a Comet

scott66
    Participant

VK, Thanks for the headsup, I read about the programme in production last year, it had slipped away to the back of my mind.

BlackTower
    Participant

And today through the square window

We shall be sucked…….

MartynSinclair
    Participant

with the latest report showing no signs of the cause of the battery problem, how on earth are Boeing and customers going to rectify the problem. Currently there are around 50 aircraft (all within in few months of delivery) GROUNDED, with no sign of flight.

Makes some of our complaints about the missingslice of lemon in our G & T seem a little trivial.

flyingcanadian
    Participant

I am sure that you have all read the latest news from airlines regarding the indefinite delay to the 787. Qatar are postponing route expansion, and Thomson are putting their pax on 767s. BA are pressing ahead with thier A380, but no further news as to what a/c will cover for the delayed delivery of their 787s. I did read that Boeing are now looking for space to park the 787s coming off the production line. If they stop production, it has repercussions around the world as parts are made world-wide and flown in when complete.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The financial implications to Boeing must be HUGE…

How are the financial implications/fallout going to be carried and I wonder how Boeing’s accounts will look if this crosses their year end.. and how the overstock will be valued..? If the aircraft arent certified to fly, their value for audit purposes will be scrap….

Edski777
    Participant

I wonder if Boeing can halt the production of the 787 as they have contracts and orders for parts and sub-assemblies throughout the world. These contractors will probably sue the bottom out of Boeing if as a result of the grounding deliveries are halted.
    Not to mention all the customers/airlines waiting for the deliveries and having to substitute all the capacity that was planned, probably sold, and now put on hold.
    I don’t think it will have to continue till year’s end, it will show up in Boeing’s books and most likely will put a nice dent in it.
    You’ll just have to look at the consequences from the wing problem with a few A-380s on the Airbus books. I’m glad I’m not a Boeing shareholder.

flyingcanadian
    Participant

Hi Edski777.
    No, that is the problem. If Boeing stop production, then not-only does it affect the Seattle plant, it has repercussions around the world with factory production lines closing down, making many people redundant, and affecting country economies. Some already fragile in the present economic climate, would get even worse. There was a very good article published just after the “grounding”, and if I can find it, I’ll put it on-line. One does not realise how many parts are NOT produced in Seattle!
    For Boeing’s sake, I hope that they can solve the problem. Do you remember what happened to McDonnell Douglas after the DC10 accidents? Although not so fatal, confidence amongst airlines & Pax is a prime issue, and several comments on this web-site have said that they would wait a year before flying on a “Dreamliner”.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

There will be a particularly severe problem in Charleston, where there is a second production line.

At Narita the other day I taxied past a parking area on the apron for grounded 787s – very sad, like the graveyard of the elephants, or one of those former Soviet airports with defunct old Aeroflot kit rotting away.

My son received a survey today asking him what he thought of the 787 and its related problems from Boeing. They are clearly worried about perception now as this drags on. Even more interesting there was an extensive article In the NYT about the 5.5 hour ETOPS rating probably never being granted. This would be a disaster for Boeing and result in hundreds of cancelled orders.

Now I need my beauty sleep. good night poor people!

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

This problem is going to take a long time to resolve. Presumably finished aircraft which are not delivered will have to be modified before delivery?

As the months drag on, I’m reminded of the bet in our office that we’ll see a test flight of the A350 before the 787 flies again.

You know I would actually take a bet on that myself. Word form Toulouse (my French house is half way twixt Bordeaux and Toulouse and we have a community of friends who work at Airbus) and they have been saying all along that Airbus are tripping over themselves to learn from all the 787 problems and not duplicate them.

One has to say that the amount of compensation Boeing must be looking at never mind the retrofitting of the existing planes, must be a financial disaster. It was most amusing to see them using Survey Monkey to run a free questionnaire to their most loyal supporters.

Shanwick1249
    Participant

The 787 has now been grounded for longer than any airliner in the modern era. You have to go back to the days of the Martin 202 to find a situation of similar gravity. There is simply no comparison between the A380 wing hiccup and the 787 fires.

What is most alarming is that Boeing is pushing an ‘interim’ solution that will not stop fires from happening but will just try to prevent them from setting the aircraft on fire for a bit longer.

Think about that the next time you are three hours from the nearest divert.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

FAA has approved fix to Dreamliners

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/2013/03/12/faa-boeing-dreamliners-fix/1982935/

Thanks to Anastasia who pointed it out on another thread 🙂

Thanks honey! I love USA today it’s always the first with breaking news. Then NYT then the WP who like to take more time to assess things!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 146 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls