787 DREAMLINER DELAY TO BA

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 136 through 146 (of 146 total)

• rferguson
    Participant

In regards to the mobile phone situation….it is becoming more and more difficult to enforce the whole ‘phones must remain switched off until after the engines are shut down’. It is hard to justify as a ‘safety’ measure when a passenger flying any US or Australian airline for instance has carte blanche to use their phone once the aircraft turn off the runway. Does that mean operators of these nations are encouraging ‘unsafe practices’? I doubt it.

The CAA does tend to lag a bit when it comes to modifying safety requirements. An example of this is gate-to-gate IFE. This has been happening elsewhere in the world for years and although the technology was available for BA to offer the same it’s hands were tied on safety grounds. BA took a case to the CAA, asked them to review it. BA also hosted a number of safety trials in conjunction with the CAA in order to find a way forward. I guess the mobile phone scenario is similar.

Any pilot i’ve ever asked has dismissed the notion of mobile phones being a safety hazard. And I guess the proof is in the pudding really. If you take into consideration that a proportion of passengers are going to have their mobile phones on for landing on every flight (either deliberately or inadvertently) well I guess we aren’t seeing planes falling out of the sky on a regular basis.

Apparently the last time the CAA looked at the mobile phone issue was back when the UK networks (and most worldwide) operated on an anologue system (remember when sometimes you would hear other peoples conversations?). So the concern wasn’t so much an interfering with systems one, more an interfering with communications between ATC one. With the digital mobile networks we now use, apparently this isn’t an issue.

SimonS1
    Participant

Rferguson – as always the voice of common sense.

Mobiles are not dangerous and it is clearly nonsense all round.

FrDougal
    Participant

“”I’m not making it up” – errmmm – I will leave that for you to work out.”

UGH!!! Why feel the need to say something like this? It’s antagonist behaviour such as this which gives this forum such a lousy reputation. I am right, BA did not just invent the mobile phone policy, it’s a law it is required to comply with because BA are a UK registered airline and the CAA say mobiles are not allowed gate to gate, sorry you don’t like it but accept it and move along gracefully!

rferguson, well said, unfortunately I fear you will be quoted by non complying frequent flyers until it is introduced officially! Lol

canucklad
    Participant

Re: The mobile phone issue….

The last thing I need is a whole hoard of businessmen, chav’s, besotted lovers, trawling their text messages, and then responding by text or even worse calling whomever when it’s a struggle at the moment to achieve the very simple act of disembarking…..

Let’s keep it simple….concentrate on retrieving your hand luggage, duty free and all other personal belonging’s first…

Another few minutes without our mobile (cell) phone’s ain’t going to stop the world going round and round….

After all I’ve only an hour to catch my connection!

As a member of crew rferguson & the other respected crew who contribute ,…….. your thoughts on my rant ?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Canucklad – whether I agree are not to your “words” (not a rant!!), the problem with mobile phones on landing is the cabin crew have absolutely no practical ability on ANY airline to enforce the “keep cells off” till the engines have stopped. Whether announcements are made or not, passengers simply do not and will not adhere to the rule – you only have to look around the cabin to see…

Remember BA London City allow cell phone use when crossing the Atlantic..

Only way to stop use is to install cell phone jammers!

rferguson
    Participant

Canucklad, totally agree.

Problem is, logical thinking doesn’t apply in the world of ‘I’. Iphone, Ipod, I I I I I ….me me me me lol

When you think about it not too long ago it would have been considered extremely rude to be texting or phoning friends at a social gathering yet now it is just commonplace. Go out as a group for dinner or drinks and everyone has their phone out not just texting but seeing who has just hung their washing out on a Facebook status update. It’s the world we live in.

The big issue I find is getting people to turn their phones off BEFORE departure. It really is a battle, and one we (the crew) are always bound to lose. The passengers know the minute they hear ‘crew take your seats please’ or something along those lines over the PA they have little chance of getting busted tapping away on their phones. Especially in CW. They are so cocooned, they know (and we know) that they have the upper hand during taxi and take off. They usually grunt and go through the motions of switching it off when we ask but the minute we are out of sight or sat down for takeoff…….

SimonS1
    Participant

As Martin implies, I’m not sure that the airlines are that bothered.

On Emirates as well as BA LCY you can also use your phone in flight, so presumably they aren’t that fussed (safety wise or socially) that people are using them.

I doubt they would install jammers as the people most likely to be using them are those in premium cabins who apparently keep the airlines going these days…..

On Canucklad’s point, if you are sitting towards the back of a 777 you have plenty of time between leaving the active runway and exiting the plane – usually at least 15 mins. Certainly enough time to check texts, emails etc. Of course this can all be done with the phone switched to silent.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

rfergusson – as much as I dislike the constant public use of the cell phones, emails, text messaging, whatsapp and plethora of other modes of messaging, this is the way of the world in 2013.

I don’t think its a case of me me me me, rather its a case keeping up with communicating in the modern world – airlines now realise this – and however much I and other “oldies” dislike this idea, airlines and aircraft are moving forward to accommodate the NEED of modern communications.

flyingcanadian
    Participant

2 PROBLEMS IN 1 DAY WITH THE 787 DREAMLINER!
    Is this more problems for the 787? Just when we thought that it would get off the ground and fly unhindered, these 2 787s have unknown problems!

Any thoughts or comments please?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

There’s quite a bit of useful info here FlingCanadian.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/5815814/

Viewing 11 posts - 136 through 146 (of 146 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls