787 DREAMLINER DELAY TO BA

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 146 total)

• TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

A good article at the weekend from Seattle on the 787 issues. Looks like several months before they will be in the sky again.

http://seattletimes.com/html/businesstechnology/2020373450_boeing787xml.html

flyingcanadian
    Participant

TimFitzgeraldTC.
    Thanks for the “heads-up”. I heard something like this 10 days ago, but BA744fan said “no worries, BA will still get the first 787 in May!” It is more serious than first expected, and since then Airbus has also said that they will be doing away with the same type of battery.
    How many readers would fly on a plane with a “short-term/interim” fix?

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

I’ve said from the start there was something not right about the 787, now, who wants to fly on a plane where the problem of fire in the back up power source is ‘contained’? I certainly wouldn’t.

We are having a bet in the office at the moment that the A350 will fly in test stages before the 787 is ready to enter service again.

lloydah
    Participant

I found this in an article about the TWA flight 800 that crashed off the US coast in 1996. Anyone know more about it?

In 2009 Boeing advised the FAA that its new Boeing 787 Dreamliner could not meet the new safety standards. The FAA proposed to relax the safeguards for preventing sparks inside the fuel tank, calling them “impractical.”

I understand it was a Wikipedia article but rather amplifies Henkel’s feelings above.

BA744fan
    Participant

flyingcanadian – my comment was based on the fact that as of 10 days ago there hadn’t been any official announcement to confirm delays in delivery.

Clearly the problems affecting the 787 are not going to be fixed overnight so it would appear BA is going to suffer delays, giving the 767s a stay of execution.

Bucksnet
    Participant

I know more about TWA800 lloydah: –

TWA800 was shot down by a surface to air missile fired from an updated type 21, just like AF447. Witnesses walking on the beach stated that they saw a bright light rising from the sea into the sky. As part of the cover up, the NTSB came up with the pathetic story that what they saw was burning jet fuel. However, after the explosion, the jet fuel would be falling to earth not going upwards! People are so gullible.

There was talk of a spark in the mostly empty centre fuel tank if I remember correctly, and a future solution of filling the tanks with an inert gas, but nothing much came of it.

I don’t know too much about the 787, but can anyone explain why it needs a backup battery and can’t rely on an APU like most planes? I don’t much like the solution of containing a possible fire/meltdown of the battery, and the boss of LOT said that they do not expect to get their 787s flying again until October.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Why don’t they just use Ever Ready’s Bucknet? Very dependable and they never explode!!!

lloydah
    Participant

I’ve found that piece too Buksnet. Also I believe it. However, is the thing about Boeing and the safety within the wing tanks still an issue or was it simply made up to cover certain facts they didn’t want to surface – re. the TWA crash.

Bucksnet
    Participant

I believe that jet fuel has got an even higher rating than petrol, so if a spark is near its vapour then it’s gonna blow. The main TWA800 cover up put out, from memory, was that the centre fuel tank of the 747 was nearly empty (true, it was only going to Paris and most of the fuel was in the wing tanks), and that a spark from worn wiring ignited the fuel vapour.

The solution is to inject an inert gas into the tanks to replace the air; any spark would not then ignite the fuel vapour. I believe that the Air Force One 747s and the VP’s 757 have this system, but is generally considered too expensive for commercial flights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inerting_system

trident3
    Participant

“TWA800 was shot down by a surface to air missile fired from an updated type 21, just like AF447” WTF ?

Bucksnet, you need to get out less !

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

This is the latest from the BBC. Not as in depth as previous article from Seattle Times.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21548113

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

I’m trying to think of another new airliner which has had problems on the scale of the 787 and I can’t. Given how long it was delayed in manufacturing isn’t this extraordinary that there are now these problems?

Is it just that we are more aware of potential problems these days and have better monitoring of them whereas in previous times there were crashes or is this aircraft truly a dud?

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

I don’t think that led to the same scale of total grounding.

scott66
    Participant

De Haviland Comet or the DC-10?

We are more aware of potential problem because of the history of the Comet. There have been problems with the new generation of airliners, but fatal failures of new designs are almost unheard of in the 21st century.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 146 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls