787 DREAMLINER DELAY TO BA

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 146 total)

• HarryMonk
    Participant

BA319131

Any idea on numbers?
    I just saw at satelite pic of the Everett plant on Googlemaps, obviously its not possible to know when the image was taken but there seems to be a lot of aircraft parked up at the southern end of the airfield in what don’t appear to be ideal standard production or fit out areas

the747guy
    Participant

HarryMonk,

I think the satellite view taken by Googlemaps you saw is quite old, and not up to date.
    I visited BOEING plant in Everett last September and recall a list of planes being ordered and under production that specified all the B787s being produced.
    I made some research today and found the following official BOEING info:

114 (one hundred fourteen) 787-8s produced until today!

787s being produced in Everett for BRITISH AIRWAYS –

1) Line #108, B787-8, Registration G-ZBJA, with Engines RR Trent 1000, “Undergoing Final Assembly”;
    2) Line #111, B787-8, Registration G-ZBJB, with Engines RR Trent 1000, “Undergoing Final Assembly”; and
    3) Line #114, B787-8, Registration G-ZBJC, with Engines RR Trent 1000, “Parts Arriving”

4) Line #121, B787-8, Registration G-ZBJD, with Engines RR Trent 1000, “To be Assembled in Everett”.

No official delivery date is specified, for reasons we all know at this moment.

I hope NTSB gets a satisfactory “fix” plan from Boeing to get the Dreamliners back in the air soon. I am convinced it’s a great plane and will not doubt in flying them!

I also learned that the B787-9, a stretched version of the 787-8 will start being produced soon, with plane Line #126 using RR Trent 1000 engines at BOEING’s Everett Plant.

flyingcanadian
    Participant

Greetings from a HOT Singapore! 40+C
    Just seen the latest news from BA & the IAG Group, they have firmed up an order for 18 787s! That is an addition to the 24 previously ordered!They must have confidence in the airliner, which is a good thing for the Industry! It will replace the 747-400 between 2017 & 2021. Let’s get the A/C back in service!

BA744fan
    Participant

If what the747guy stated in his comment of 22/03/13 is correct, there is no way BA are going to be taking delivery of their first 787 in May.

I spent several years working for Airbus and know from their production schedules that there is a considerable amount of work between completion of final assembly and delivery.

I would suggest it will be at least August before BA get their first delivery, possibly even Q4 2013.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I saw the same article flyingcanadian, and I’m most disappointed that BA are retiring all their 747’s as the 787 comes on line. I think the 747 is one of the nicest aircraft around but regrettably it seems less and less airlines are flying them.

BA744fan
    Participant

I believe the early batch of 787s are due to replace the long haul 767 fleet so I don’t imagine BA will be retiring any 747s for some time to come.

I agree, hence my moniker, the 747 is the best and most beautiful plane in the sky and it will be a very sad day when they start being retired.

We all know they are tired, but I think that just adds to their character.

flyingcanadian
    Participant

Hi LuganoPirate. Thanks for the feed back. I am *A GOLD, and stick with them. LH are keeping their 747s and are actually ordering more 747s 800s! I think they are one on the few carriers to keep them. I think this latest version is more fuel efficient, and that is the reason, older models are being scrapped. THEY WERE GAS GUZZLERS!! AC only got 3 in their time, but changed them in favour of more fuel efficiency!

dutchyankee
    Participant

Fully Agree, nothing beats the elegance of the queen of the sky! (Concorde of course came close, but as she is history, the 747 has my vote every time).

MarcusUK
    Participant

It was reported in The Times yesterday, that BA will phase out the use of its 747 fleet by 2021.
    So you have some time with the old Bird’s yet!

flyingcanadian
    Participant

Hi Dutchyankee. I completely agree. In the 80s, one could turn up at JFK for the daylight BA 747 F/C TO LHR, and for US$100.00 transfer to the 1200noon CONCORDE. That was always relatively empty, because the favourite was the one that left FULL at 0900am. I used to fly to JFK from YYZ just to get the CONCORDE upgrade for US$100.00. Those were the days! For a plane of beauty, I do not think you can beat the 747! As they lift off from the runway, one wonders how do they ever get off the ground? The A380 is short and squattish, and not such an A/C of beauty.

canucklad
    Participant

flyingcanadian……

Surprises me that AC only had 3 747’s …..one less than their deadly rival CP who had 4…..

And I must admit, not only my favorite aircraft but also my favorite man made thing!!

Disappointing that Boeing has mucked up the 800 marketing so much…..The jumbo will always be better than the Beluga !.

Always remember being put in the back of the Chevvy and taken to the end of YVR’s runway for the daily 21.15 arrival of AC’s jumbos from YYZ !!

AHHH…Happy days

BigDog.
    Participant

travelworld
    Participant

Re Big Dog’s post and link immediately above this one-just look how cramped the first class seats are on the early Pan Am aircraft. They’d be barely big enough for premium economy now…

flyingcanadian
    Participant

Hi Canucklad.
    Yes, AC only had 3 747s compared to CPs 4. But look what happened to them! AC had the 747s all leaving YYZ within 3hrs! 1800 to YMX/YUL/CDG, 1930 TO YVR, AND 2100 TO LHR.A plane spotters delight!! CP had 1 a day YYZ-YVR-YYZ, and the rest were used on the NRT/HKG/BKK routes. HNL got one in High season.CP never put entertainment in FC because their meal service was superior, and they did not want the film to detract from the meal service! Those were the days when flying meant something, and one would save for a year to take a trip! Nowadays, the advent of “Cut-price” airlines, means “Everyone can fly” but is it comfortable?

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 146 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls