Why Business or First class?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 144 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

My modus is to fly F whenever a night or a long flight over 6 hours is involved. I’ll happily fly Business if the seat is good and in its own shell for a flight up to 6 hours long. But it must be a day flight. I’m looking for comfort, ease of travel and a higher level of service.

In Europe I now fly only Business. I’m at that age and station in life where I’m looking for a bit more comfort, I don’t get hassled about my carry-on and my blazer can be hung in the cupboard rather than crumpled in the overhead or on the hook on the seat. the service is also that bit more personal, and to be honest, I just enjoy it.

in both cases I enjoy the chat and repartee with the crew, who rarely haver time to chat with you in Y. I also meet some very interesting people in F, politicians, actors, CEO’s etc and have become good friends with some of them solely through meeting them on the flight.

I rarely encounter screaming babies though sometimes their muffled screams can be heard through the curtains!

I have to admit that if I really had to be somewhere and no alternatives were possible, and using my status for a guaranteed seat, if that seat were in Y, then yes I would travel in the Y cabin. Not happily but I would.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“All: Do you think it is fair to say that the MAIN reason we (if possible) fly business class on long haul flights is the seat, the rest (food, IFE, …) being only nice add-ons?”

Absolutely.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Oh, and Becky, I’m definitely not a snob, and most certainly not insecure!

Still love you though babes 😉

BeckyBoop
    Participant

“I also meet some very interesting people in F, politicians, actors, CEO’s etc and have become good friends with some of them solely through meeting them on the flight.”

Are you telling me people who sit in Y are not good enough for you?

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

CraigWatson – 14/02/2012 14:22 GMT
    We get your point 😉

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXcGF2qv2CY

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

I fly in F & C, mostly F because I can. My company regard me as important enough to pay out F fares for when it’s available and C when it isn’t. I’m lucky enough to be able to afford F & C when it’s for leisure travel.

Like LP and others, I’m at a time of life where I appreciate a bit more comfort and service and I don’t mind paying for it to avoid hassle of queues at the gate, the size of my carry ons and the weight of checked bags. Perhaps if I travelled less and only for leisure, Y would be OK but I have no intention of trying it to just to check it out!

I don’t think I’m either insecure or a snob!

RichHI1
    Participant

BeckyBoop- 14/02/2012 16:08 GMT
    How do you get talking to people in F when all the window seats are singles? I thought only upgrades and couples sat in the middle.
    Becky I would love to talk with you any time, just not about current British TV about which I seem to be totally ignorant and also red shoes….

alexlondon
    Participant

Although it is hard to justify the cost, I fly Club short haul since I like the extra space it provides – not a lot of extra space, granted, on most airlines, but space all the same. It would be nice to feel pampered a bit more though.
    Long haul, Club is more than adequate but, at 6 ft 6, I cannot sleep on any Club product I’ve tried yet – so choose First on overnight flights.
    I work hard on the ground and, on long haul, I never work – it is one of the rare moments when I relax and catch up on a film or a book. Whilst it isn’t the reason I buy a Club or First ticket, I take full advantage of the food and the wine. I try and get enjoyment from every trip, reminding myself how lucky I am to be able to travel. For me, flying remains about more than just getting from A to B.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Rich, Awe thank you sweet, likewise i would love to talk with you! :o) I rarely speak to anyone sometimes i eat with my boss. Otherwise its usually while waiting for the toilet and having a stretch usually a another female I tend to talk to the crew more though. xx

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

alexlondon

Do you mind me asking how long you have been travelling and how many times a year you fly?

I am curious, because for me it is very much a matter of getting from A to B as painlessly as possible – I would love to be able to re-capture that special feeling.

I always wanted to be tall, when I was young, but now see the temporary advantage in being 5’9″, when on long haul flights – I can often get a good night’s sleep, even on an Austrian ski slope, which has got to be the worst flat seat out there 🙂

RichHI1
    Participant

To try and stir up debate, I wanted to mention an intersting development I saw advertised recently. A Pacific carrier, I believe Air NZ was selling “Family seats” wher if you purchase 3 seats, thye will assign 3 seats in row and enable you to use it as bad with arm rests lifted. Now assuming you do not need to have children in tow or are forced to engage in romantic activities with a partner, if one was to purchase 3 seats in Y that coud still be cheaper then C, J, P or F on many routes and would perhaps offer sleep and room as good or better than in the other cabins. Admittedly you would have to bring your own bedding in your carry on but maybe it is a thought?

RichHI1
    Participant

DoS I envy you at 5’9″. Air travel must be so much easier for you….thinks it through…. Bet I find getting bags in an dout of nnbins easier though……

alexlondon
    Participant

D of S

I travel a lot less than I used to – probably six long haul returns a year, and a short haul every three weeks for work. I have travelled regularly for about 15 years and have had BA Gold for most of that time, plus status with Virgin and Swiss (Miles and More).
    I agree that “special feeling” is definitely gone. For me, it’s a state of mind thing – it is one of the few places where I have made the choice never to work (short haul excluded) and when one relaxes in a comfortable seat with a nice glass of wine, it is hard not to enjoy the experience. Of course, that is not the reason I buy a premium ticket and I would much prefer the food and wine at a restaurant on the ground. However, it is a few hours of rare relaxation that I NEVER get on the ground! (work, kids et al).

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Becky, I don’t think I said anywhere that people in Y are not good enough for me? I’m sure many decent people travel in Y, my kids included.

It’s just that I don’t, so the only passengers I get to talk to are those in F or C!

Rather than us all being “insecure” or “snobs”, I’m just wondering now if perhaps you’re the insecure one?

RichHI1
    Participant

I vote with Becky, if I talk to anyne on baord it tends to be flight the flight attendants.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 144 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls