Why Business or First class?

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 136 through 144 (of 144 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Becky Boop, I think you will find that smoking is only illegal in company cars, which are considered as a “place of work”. Private cars are excluded and people may smoke to their heart’s contentment!!

Can you imagine the chaos, if authorities tried to enforce this along with the do not use a mobile without a blue tooth rule; it would raise a lot of money in fines, but would bring the police force and the roads to a standstill!

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Martyn good point, but surely If he had an accident and it was proved he was smoking while driving he would at the very least have a 50-50 claim and lose his NCB and be sued by the other driver? :$ xx

RichHI1
    Participant

maybe if his car was smoking?

IanFromHKG
    Participant

No, Becky, I haven’t seen the pink Zonda, thank God. I think the lurid orange and black Bentley Supersports was bad enough, not to mention the black Q7 covered in red highlights including red rims, red radiator grille surround – actually, that sounds quite tasteful but believe me it isn’t. Plenty of purple Porsches (cringe), and the place is littered with Panameras, which should one day (if there is any justice) be definitively identified as the ugliest car of all time.

HK introduced personalised licence plates a few years ago, and that gives plenty of scope for the local penchant for combining an excess of wealth with a shortage of taste. The RR called “BATMAN”, the Bentley called “VROOM”, and the R8 called “GRRR8” springing to mind. A car that parks near mine has the plate “DR CLAM”, which has always made me wonder a bit, as has the Jap-crap I frequently see carrying the plate “GUT”. There are plenty of other horrors around too. All very very sad…

I drive an XF (lovely car) and the missus has a Mini Cabriolet (complete with Union Jack mirrors) which she loves. I used to have an 8-series which I adored but had to sell (to a colleague, as it happens, so I get to see it every day as he uses the same carpark). Trouble is, the roads in HK are so poor (if you think UK roads are bad, you should take a look at this place) that anything properly sporty would (a) be a total waste and (b) leave you needing spinal surgery. A car with really absorbent suspension is really the way to go here!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Becky, my cars are all convertible or have sun roofs. Thankfully I live in Switzerland and S. Africa where these silly and unenforceable rules are not imposed.

To the best of my knowledge my cigars have not killed any other drivers, cyclists, pedestrians or animals!

Thanks for the support Martyn. Once taking our Range Rover to London, I stopped at traffic lights next to a police car. Looking down I saw the uniformed passenger holding a lighted cigarette!

PerthWA
    Participant

BeckyBoop… Your question as to those who have to hit Y while on business… Being in Perth, everything is a long haul but working for a crap quasi “equity and diversity” driven bureaucratic organization… “Y” it is.
    This means I’ve done day trips (literally) to new York from Perth, days trips to London, ie an overnight and back again all in Y and believe me it sucks. Actually, it also hurts. I’m not short and I’m not fat… But at 5’8 a bit too tall to be a contortionist and I’ve got no padding.
    Managed however to retain my platinum status which at least means Perth to Stockholm for a day trip allows me to grab a Heathrow shower and get to my noon meeting with proper clothes on.
    I’d seriously love to know what industries all the f and c flyers are employed in on here because I doubt they are all undercover oligarchs 🙂

PerthWA
    Participant

Ps Becky not surprisingly, my equity and diversity driven employer is headed by a bloke who feels no drama at putting himself and the new model trophy wife up front!

Swissdiver
    Participant

@PerthWA: Generally the banking and finance industry as well as the petroleum related ones are, among others, keen to pay business class for long haul flights. Then you have some specific companies such as Siemens (although I heard they are more restrictive now) and international organisations (UN, for more than 7 hours flights). To this you can add all form of consultants requiring it by contract. Plus I am sure many others…

bombayteddy
    Participant

I completely agree with Henkel.Trocken…..who, considering his penchant for luxury, should call himself Roederer.Kristal 🙂
    First is First….and if its available and one can afford it, one should take it.
    It could be said there are only two classes on a plane: First and Business….which should be called “Economy” since thats what you fly when you or the airline wish to economise! 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 136 through 144 (of 144 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls