Why Business or First class?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 144 total)

• mikeymrp
    Participant

Hey Becky – though most of the discussion here has been around rather expensive gear I think it worth saying that some of the best driving fun I’ve ever had was in a 2003 Ford Ka – they’re so chuckable on a country road – wish they hadn’t replaced it with what I read is not quite the car its predecessor was!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks Esselle. I’ll let you know if we get there. Mrs. LP loved the Bentley as well but we’d have to ship it here. Still tempting.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Ship it? Haven’t you heard of roads??? LOL

First thing I would want to do with a car like that is take it for a really long drive…

LuganoPirate
    Participant

BTW. For those who think we’ve wandered off topic, cars are used or travelling, they are used for business, seat comfort is important, and, from comments on this thread, it seems they can be categorised into F, C and Y!

All points to keep it on topic;-)

Oh, and what you can do in a car which you can’t on a plane,
    Smoke a decent cigar, roof off, foot down, bliss……..

BeckyBoop
    Participant

LP i have made some enquires which took up most of my morning. Tom Hartley is a well respected dealer however most of his stuff is generally over priced for what it is and is based to far from London. The Aventador is very overpriced so dont even bother and his CTC is to old. Just watch the price for the Ferrari Enzo, its not that badly priced but does have a few mile on the clock. I would still stick to Owens in London he has a better network of sourcing used cars if thats what you are after. The Brooklands garage is much more low key and close to LHR, and you have high chance of bumping in to some footballers. Otherwise if you want mega superpower like the Bugatti/Zonda or Koneigessegg you should speak to Bob Forstner or i know some other equally good independant guys who trade globally with top petrol heads and can ship the car for you without any hassle. As for the FF you need to speak to Owens or even Marnello Sales in Egham both again very close of LHR. Just be carefull of resale values of Bentley GT especially the 1st gen ones they have fallen like a stone as they are lots of them around at least with the FF production is slower even though high in demand you will still turn heads and sell it faster and its for people who want to drive not pose. If you get one before the summer for around the RRP you can still sell it before the end of the year for a bit more than what you paid. It may be cheaper to perhaps to go for a LHD as it will make it easier to sell abroad than the UK so take that into account.

Ian did you ever see the Pink Zonda in HKG? 🙂 it was recently sold at Bonhams auction last year!

Mikey yes i do like my KA but want to upgrade to a mini convertable but cant afford it 🙁 what do you drive now?

xx

mikeymrp
    Participant

Mini Conv is a neat car but I felt a bit “dinky” in it if that translates……….

I have two cars a 1996 RAV 4 which has served me very well; and sorry to tell you a “common” 2010 911 Turbo – love Porsches – though they don’t seem that popular on this thread with others – might upgrade to the 901 Turbo when it comes out in 2013 but all depends on the shekkles!

I thought I was the only one who did “research” at work – or perhaps you’re having a day off!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Fiat 500 rules the way for me.

If I change, it will be any band A car – no road tax, no congestion charge.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Martyn nice car the fiat 500 but a BMW 3 series would suit you better! Sytners have good deals xx

Mikey i am not having a day off i start work at 7 most days xx

esselle
    Participant

Only kept it for 6 months, but best fun of 2011 was an Audi S8. Luxury barge with a V10 Lambo engine.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Ladies, I’m really impressed with our knowledge / choice of cars. Wow!

And Becky, thanks for the advice. If we buy it for SA then it would be RHD and have to be shipped. If LHD then we would buy it for Switzerland and drive it back.

Ian, you’re right about the long drive, but it’s a bit far to Knysna from the UK! A Bentley is not really the car for a drive like that either, more suited to a Landie. Having said that, every other year there’s a rally at midnight, new years eve, from London to Cape Town. I’d love to do it but it’s rather gruelling and to be honest a flat bed on Swiss F is rather more attractive!

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Lp hun not sure i would take a nice car to SA after stories i have heard you need one of these

http://www.mod-sales.com/direct/vehicle/,37,/38675/Jaguar.htm

Esselle if you liked the S8 you need to try an R8!!! Colbornes in Guildford are good.

xx

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

When all said and done a £200k car, though more comfortable, gets stuck in traffic just as much as a £20k one. Germany (especially the bottom clinching Nurburgring- Nordschleife) or trackdays aside when can you ever use even half a supercar’s potential?
    When fun counts so much more than image, then it has to be a motorbike. I have circumnavigated Iceland on my R1200GS, riden it up to the Norwegian Arctic and it will still beat any Supercar on a point to point because bikes don’t acknowledge queues.
    Get lane-splitting, then get your knee down 😉

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Tête_de_cuvée, WOW wouldnt of put you down as a bike person 🙂 did you know Willie Walsh apparently drives a Lexus LS Hybrid xx

lloydah
    Participant

Tete_de_cuvee, with you all the way on that one. Spanish roads are great too. Had to visit the Prado last year for some consultancy – rode both ways to the surprise of one of the curators who expected a old fat bloke in a taxi – they got an old thin bloke on two wheels instead!-:)

BeckyBoop
    Participant

LP have you ever considered that smoking while driving is very dangerous, unhealthy and illegal not only do you put yourself at risk but also your passengers, other drivers, cyclists, wildlife and pedestrians 🙁 xx

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 144 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls