Why Business or First class?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 144 total)

• Swissdiver
    Participant

@BeckyBoop: “If I had to travel in Y I would rather not go.” This is not about being snob. This is about managing efficiency. I don’t know about Henkel, but I am 6.4″ tall. An overnight flight in Y means almost no sleep and 1 to 3 days to fully recover. In busy time, I cannot afford this. So it goes beyond pleasure…

mikeymrp
    Participant

Hi-there Henkel.Trocken

Looks like you actually managed to provoke BeckyBoop – suspect you had your tongue in your cheek you old devil!

Anyway as an insecure First traveller I would say I generally agree with your comments – except in the case of BA’s unimproved First where I believe their Business Class is actually better – and that’s before we get round to value for money

mikeymrp
    Participant

Sorry Henkel.T – missed your last sentence where you cover my BA point

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

BeckyBoop my Funny Girl you are so right in reminding the less than First Class fizzy drink that not everyone is so prieviledged to afford F or C travel.

Even though I was born with a Jade (not silver) spoon in my mouth that I would never display such arrogance. In fact I am quite down-to-earth most times.

But I do love the comfort and the finesse of CX and SQ F class.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Thanks Martyn, luv you too :)xxx I agree with your point about improving business lowering the need for first. I think Cathy and now the new AA might of done this with there new seat xx

SwissDiver – yes i see your point but the point of the matter is that some people have no choice but to fly Y regarless of size. Just like people who are obese! If you are tall you can always request seats with extra legroom like near a door way xx

FC good to hear it hun! 🙂 xx

NTarrant
    Participant

More personal space, better service and food, arriving refreshed and departing without being in a scrum.As far as long haul is concerned wouldn’t do it if it wasn’t in J.

Becky dear, please don’t all high and mightly, it doesn’t suit you. There are people who can only travel in Y, I think we all know that, it has nothing to do with being insecure.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

NTarrant, lets say you have an emergency/important meeting to attend in say Hong Kong and you need to get there quick. All flights with F&J cabins are full with the exception of Y. What do you do:

1)Private jet?
    2)Delay the meeting so you get a flight in F/J and risk loosing the business?

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Becky

For many who post on here, there is always a seat available in J or F, albeit at a price.

That is because the airlines know that their FQTVs will pay a hefty premium to arrive rested at that meeting – arriving groggy from a long Y flight is asking to be scalped in the negotiation.

Someone will be downgraded, if necessary and ultimately someone will be offloaded from Y, at the end of the chain.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

DisgustedofSwieqi I will take your word as i dont know about these things but hypothetically talking. xx

NTarrant still waiting on your response 🙁

RichHI1
    Participant

Swissdiver- 14/02/2012 08:44 GMT

TdC: In the US as well, they have First on short haul flights…
    Dragon Air PVG-HKG was 3 class on airbus too and some flights ex NRT had first on short haul in 744.

Shorthaul, legroom
    Longhaul, Legroom. BA NCW seat is too short to allow me to sleep with the bed in flat position. SOme downhill racers like AA work after a fashion but flat bed first suc as BA, AA, JJ, NH or (JL ex US) are only way I can get sleep on plane.
    The service, food, bowing and scraping and increased bathroom ratio are all nice but if Business or Coach had flat bads that accomodated 6’5″ passenger who needs to straighten knees every 10 or 15 minutes, I would not spend money for all the fancy bits. I think my ego must have shrunk in the cold weather in UK.

Senator
    Participant

I suspect as a sole proprietor (in my second year) I make significantly less money than most of my fellow posters on here, but I still try to mix in as much business class as I can.

I trade off a smaller salary (to myself) with the corresponding employment taxes (cost to my business) for premium travel. In my previous role in a small consultancy I frequently would leave for Asia on a Sunday, to arrive early Monday morning and hit the customer office after a quick shower. Needless to say, hard to do from Y-cabin.

** Business in Europe: I fly almost exclusively on BA and LX as I can get fares in the £400 range for where I need to go. As I am 192cm and 110kg, the free middle seat makes a lot of difference for me. Most of my flights are longer than 2hrs, and I make ample use of time to work. I carry Gold with BA and LH, and would not be able to reach status without premium cabins in Europe.

** Business long haul (mostly for holidays these days): time to pamper myself and I normally go straight to work upon my return so a nice sleep coming in from the US or Asia helps tremendously.

** First class on long haul: an annual treat by miles/vouchers on day flights for pampering. Wouldn’t pay for this with cash…. probably ever..

NTarrant
    Participant

Becky – Everything that Disgusted has said is quite correct. There is always a price and one would weigh up wether that cost is justifiable against what the proposition is.

Arriving refreshed is of paramount importance to me, like many others, take for example end of last year. I returned over night from AUH to LHR in NCW, straight to sleep after take off, light breakfast hour before landing. Straight to arrivals lounge, shower, change of clothes. Have some more breakfast and cup of tea, check emails and relax allowing traffice on M25 to clear before heading to car park and then driving to office for meeting at 1030, 1300 and 1600 followed by a social evening. Not possible for me if I had been in Y.

mikeymrp
    Participant

Let’s not knock insecurity too much – it’s a great business driver – at least for insecure people such as myself.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Becky – whether someone chooses to take a Corporate jet to HKG for example will be purely based on whether the cost could be justified. Remember also, that if the client doesn’t own the jet or is part of a fractional ownership programme, the return journey will also have to be paid for (unless that sector can be sold separately).

The cost of a Corporate Jet being hired ad hoc LON-HKG-LON will be well into 6 figures and the first probably 1 or a 2! A smaller jet needing a mid way refuel will be perhaps 25% cheaper.

People using this sort of transport, “generally” live on another planet! Inter Europe Corporate Jet travel is a different story.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Ntarrant you have left me totally unconvinced 🙁 (nothing personal)

Martyn, thanks. xx

Would be nice to here from others who dont have the option of first/business flights esp if returning on a long haul trip followed by endless meetings and social events and how you have managed. xx

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 144 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls