What do you think of the A380?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 82 total)

• KarlMarx
    Participant

Based on the limited experience of a cheap long weekend on Dubai, thanks to Emirates Holidays, I’d say it is the aircraft that puts the comfort back into economy travel.

openfly
    Participant

I had the misfortune to travel in economy on a BA A380. Absolutely one of my worst experiences…it was utter torture. The economy seats have a large box in the footwell, which means that you can hardly move your legs. This means that it is highly probable that you will get DVT. Apparently this box is the equipment for the IFE at your seat.
    NEVER again on a BA A380 in economy. You have been warned!

canucklad
    Participant

To me, the 380 is a game changer. My experiences were totally positive and I’ll reiterate previous comments. Quieter, smoother and more space. Importantly the forward bottom “Y” cabin also had a feeling of more space; maybe walking up a few stairs to the loo aided the perception!! But that was with Emirates, not BA

So, I don’t think the aircraft should be castigated, rather the airline that chooses to configure it. Manufacturers design a plane that allows airlines the opportunity to be innovative with their on-board offering. If airlines like BA choose do demonstrate a lack of creative thinking, that says more for the airline than it does the aircraft.

SimonS1
    Participant

Openfly – “This means that it is highly probable that you will get DVT.”

Incidence of DVT is 5 cases per million flights, or 1 in 6,000 for the more common VTE. It’s true the seating isn’t luxurious but clearly you are talking complete nonsense here.

KarlMarx
    Participant

SimonS1

You’ll find the irony next to the coppery on the lab top shelf 😉

sparkyflier
    Participant

I flew the A380 last week for the first time, in J on BA, LHR-SIN and frankly loved it. The sideboard in the upper deck is a real help and I had the back row seat, which I would choose again! I even got my first choice of dinner and breakfast! it was really quiet and very smooth.

Speedbird_ABZ
    Participant

I got DVT in CW LGW/MCO 5 years ago, so no real rhyme nor reason I guess!

canucklad
    Participant

Just found out that AF’s new destination will be YVR, and would have been a definite preferred choice if the 380 had been the selected aircraft over the pole. .
    Sadly it’s a 777, giving AF the opportunity to Gaellically replicate AC’s cattle class, so there’s still no real competition to BA in “Y”

KSHaggag
    Participant

The A380 HAS NOT BROUGHT ALONG REAL changes to customers in Eco and Business with some slight exceptions ,but it only added value to the First Class customers experience in most cases .I have not sampled Etihad s new A380 product yet so I should be able to judge once sampled .

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello KSHaggag –

I would disagree when considering today’s economy class products.

How could one compared economy class on an A380 with 10-across economy on a B777 or B787 ? Both have less legroom and narrower cabins.

Yes it is true that 9-across on a B777 is probably more comfortable but as you know, this configuration is slowly being phased out. And the new B777X (which will enter service around 2020) has a cabin desgned for 10-across.

Also some carriers continue to offer a small economy cabin on the A380’s upper deck. And that surely has to be more attractive than any B777 offering.

I agree as regards business class where the latest 1-2-1 configurations match the A380 …although our readers maintain the A380 has a smoother, quieter ride.

RonBrown
    Participant

Have flown on the Etihad 380, very good indeed, saw the residence and was very impressed, if only I could afford it!
    Have flown on most airlines 380 with the exception of China Southern and just love the aircraft, mainly flown in Business class with the exception of AF’s economy and apart for BA they all make the most of it, BA have the worst config of any, 4 abreast in business! Just terrible, they do nothing for the 380, I try to avoid BA when it comes to the 380.

KSHaggag
    Participant

Hello Alex,

In terms of seat comfort ,the A380 is not offering extra as anticipated in eco and biz in most cases .this is what I meant .In the contrary ,some airlines have still older biz products on the A380 than on the other types ..used to be LH and AF s cases .
    A smoother ride ,takeoff and landing I do agree especially if you are seated on the upper deck .
    Airlines have always used the A380 added comfort as a marketing tool but I do disagree to some great extent with this as I still see other products offering more seat comfort .I want to be fair towards those airlines that brought along some real changes though limited e.g. SQ ,EK,KE on their A380 biz cabins …the EK cabin feels cramped though but you have the privilege of the onboard lounge /bar at least .

canucklad
    Participant

Hi KSHaggag
    I’ve re-read my comment above, and if I was to write it again, I’d have said SHOULD have been a game changer, especially the European airlines that compete with the US carriers who’ve chosen not to purchase the 380.

And here’s my soap box coming out !! No other business would be allowed to conduct itself in such an anti-competitive manner.

Why should AA purchase the 380, when they get a share of the revenue from BA’s operation?
    Why should DL purchase the 380 when they get a share of AF’s 380’s revenue?

And I’m not sure about the agreement that LH & UA have between them, and that’s my point ……where is the motivation for European Carriers to innovate and create a USP aboard their 380’s.
    It’s like sitting down at a fancy restaurant watching one of your friends tuck into the expensive dishes knowing your all going to chip in equal amounts at the end!! That IMO is why AF/LH and particularly BA’s “Superjumbo” offering is anything but!!

I would go into conspiracy mode, and wonder if the US Exec’s have had a direct “threatening” influence on the layout of their European lakkies, thus ensuring mediocre parity !!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello KS

Sorry for the slight misunderstanding. But the A380 is like the B747. The manufactuters promised acres of space but the airlines (i.e. the customers) had different ideas.

It’s exactly the same with other wide-bodies. Boeing itself configured the B777 3-3-3 but the airlines are going 3-4-3. Boeing suggested airlines configure their B787s 2-4-2 but all of them (except JL/NH) immediately went 3-3-3.

Airbus says that airlines must configure its new A350 3-3-3 (in line with its promise of a minimum seat comfort standard) but one customer, AirAsiaX, will go its own way and go 3-4-3.

Yes the business class seating on the A380s operated by AF/LH is behind today’s latest standards. But there is a long lead time between seat installation and aircraft delivery. I suspect AF/LH did not realise the market would change so quickly.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

back from MEL on Singapore yesterday with two very comfortable day flights (o/night in SIN Ambassador) on 777-300ER and 380-800 both in Y. The reason, chinese new year and more than half empty. The cabin crew on both flights also excellent, especially on the MEL-SIN sector. My 4 across central seat section gave a bed more comfortable than the slightly sloping, slightly ridged, bed in Thai business on the outbound routing. IF you can snag the whole row then the 4-across central section is a plus over the 3×3 seat layout but would dread the possibility of SIN-LHR overnight in Y if the flight was full.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 82 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls