What do you think of the A380?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 82 total)

• RichHI1
    Participant

With a bit of luck RR will have fixed their engines too. I think one short landing due to engine design flaw is enough for any carrier to put up with.

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

Oh for goodness sake VK you would make a virtue out of anything BA do. The average passenger sees them as lagging behind when they don’t have the A380 in service when LH and AF do as well as others from beyond Europe. 773ERs are now old technology, EK must have been flying them for around ten years and it’s now BA’s latest product.

Well whoopee, they are now only ten years behind the market leaders. Face up to it, BA lag, are not innovative and offer a second rate product. Try flying with a five star airline to see what I mean.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Nope. 777-300ER entered service in 2004.

BA isn’t lagging (as you obviously haven’t bothered to read my earlier post) as it will receive an A380 which is more advanced than those currently in service with other carriers (who took on considerable risk to operate the A380 as launch customers, with cash expended just as the economy imploded).

BA is innovative. CWLCY, iPads for CSDs, the excellent website functionality, iPads in First for customers, online BPs, Height Cuisine programme, first fully flat bed in F, first fully flat bed in J, fully redesigned F, J and Y+ cabins being fitted. Indeed, the airline won an award for innovation just two years ago:

http://www.justtheflight.co.uk/news/18996339-british-airways-wins-innovation-award.html

The product is certainly not second rate; it’s extremely good value for money and the route network is unparalleled.

http://www.ba.com/first

http://www.newclubworld.com

All this without any State support whatsoever, and while ensuring a very high standard of Health & Safety for employees, many of whom are very well looked after indeed, including pension provision and an impressive programme of corporate responsibility and charitable work.

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

Will passengers notice that BA have a more advanced A380 than LH, AF and so on? I very much doubt it, they will perceive that BA has started to catch up. Where many European airlines lead, BA follow.

Introducing any new aircraft is a risk, it has paid off well though with products on board in most cases that are innovative, obvious exceptions being C on LH & AF.

I howled with laughter about the innovation award. At the same ceremony the airline that was awarded best airline flying to the USA and Canada was Virgin, quite amazing that they beat BA on the north Atlantic and for flying to Canada too, that really took some doing and added no end to the credibility of the award. All this while Virgin is in serious decline but that’s another thread.

At the same time Emirates was awarded best to the middle east and beyond, another award for service that BA missed, at least Emirates actually fly to the destinations they were awarded for.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Enjoy your howling. But I suggest you see a doctor – howling can presage mental health issues.

RichHI1
    Participant

Or engine wear….

BRAHMANA_ASKANDAR
    Participant

More comfortable than A340 or even Boeing 777
    I have tried SQ and Emirates on Business Class
    Emirates had a better entertainment system
    SQ had better seat
    But for me. It was so difficult to bring children on emirates especially young ones because the configuration of its business class seats on its A380, so we couldn’t really sat next to our children

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

Isn’t the North Atlantic BA’s core long haul market where they have been beaten by Virgin?

Now, do the awards lack credibility or are Virgin really beating BA on their core market? In which case of course the award to BA for innovation is as credible as VS being the best on the north Atlantic.

JamesMoloney5
    Participant

….and how “British” is BA anymore anyway………it is a well kept secret that the major airlines (the profitable ones anyway) are all run by the irish………… 🙂

BA, QANTAS, Emirates, Ryanair, Tiger Airways…………hell, even America is run by the Irish branch of the O’Bama family……..

Lighten up guys……………and VK, before you come “flying” back at me with a load of facts to refute my statements….this is “tongue in cheek”, after a few pints of Guinness in Muddy Murphys pub in Singapore where they had Guinness at only S$10 a pint for two hours to celebrate St. Arthur’s day today………niceeeeee

VintageKrug
    Participant

JamesMoloney5
    Participant

Good one……mild by your standards……… 🙂

RichHI1
    Participant

I thought AA was an airline 🙂

JamesMoloney5
    Participant

No, no, no, no…………. something to do with cars…………

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

Whilst the A380 soars the Boeing 747-8 struggles to launch

http://blog.seattlepi.com/aerospace/category/747-8/

though it is an impressive beast, the 747-8 is more likely to succeed in the freight market.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13832295
    http://airbusa380.tripod.com/id4.html

Off thread and it maybe a while before you have an opportunity to sample it for yourself –

The first 787 Dreamliner gets delivered

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2041863/Boeing-787-Dreamliner-reality-carbon-fibre-plane-delivered-Japan.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15040244

Boeing asserts
    “Boeing’s saving grace is that the fuel-efficient 787 family represents a stunning technological breakthrough unseen in the history of aviation and lays the foundation for the way in which all future generations of planes will be built – using stronger, lighter materials such as composites rather than traditional aluminium, steel and other metals.”

rferguson
    Participant

Just my two pence worth 🙂

I’ve only flown on the A380 as a passenger on two sectors. LHR-SIN-LHR. One way in economy, the other in Business. Both on QF. Though I didn’t fly FIRST I was given a look and think it looks amazing and better than the new BA First. As for the experience, I cannot comment.

I found the Business product fantastic and think the cabin and service surpasses what we offer in Business on BA in a number of areas but bot all. For example the crew seemed more stretched on QF, wine refills difficult to come by etc.

In terms of economy I prefer the BA cabin on the 777 on the same route. Purely because I think you can’t beat 3x3x3 seating for a long haul flight in economy. The QF IFE was better than BA’s and it was nice to have areas to stretch your legs.

Which routes will BA use the A380 on? My guess: JNB, HKG, LAX. I think the cabins will be configured as per the new 777-300’s. Ie ‘new’ first, current Club, new WTP and WT seats.

And on the JSA: I think both airlines are happy with the JSA. While it has to be recognized that QF offer more capacity on the OZ – UK routes, BA provides a lot more feed to QF at the LHR end than QF do to BA at the OZ end. I also noted in an article in the Australian Financial Review a couple weeks back (discussing the new QF premium carrier being set up in SE Asia) that a major factor in whether QF will chose KUL to base the new carrier over SIN is if BA start LHR-KUL services. So while on the surface the JSA may seem a bit lopsided the reality is that both airlines need each other equally.

Anyway, I digress….back to the thread on the A380!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 82 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls