What do you think of the A380?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 82 total)

• LeTigre
    Participant

That’s an interesting point about KUL rferguson, perhaps one of the conditions of QF giving BA those slots on lease was that one daily flight be to KUL should the new airline be based there.

UWSTony
    Participant

I flew Qantas’ in first on the two legs between Sydney and London, just after they went back in service. I like the 747 better. One of the crew gave me a full plane tour and though quite impressive, seemed cramped in all cabins but first. The landing seemed very, very smooth.

NNoah16
    Participant

Love the showers on Emirates A380 (ofcourse the Suites product too) and the First Suites on the Singapore A380. The bar in the back of the Emirates A380 is not exciting as it is always full of kids playing around.

alisha.h
    Participant

Thank you for all your valuable input. Would you object if we were to publish select responses in the Business Traveller Asia-Pacific November issue?

EdTraveller
    Participant

Travelled on EK001 AND EK002 to and from Dubai on the A380 two weeks ago. Claustrophobic upper cabin for Business travellers with Pods littered through the cabin reminiscent of the movie Cocoon. Surly cabin staff with one exception. Waited ages for first drink after take off and meals not as good as Singapore. The Bar was super and well run. Overall a bit dissapointing particularly as I really wanted it to be great !

CXDiamond
    Participant

Great aircraft and real gear change showing what can come in the future. I’ve been on LH in F, EK in F, SQ in F & C and QF in F. The F offering is quite different and goes beyond suites or not. SQ win on the suite but these days I find the smile rather empty and the food and drink offerings relatively poor. EK suite is still a winner, food and drink is superb, crew are variable. QF seat is good though in a different league to SQ and EK, food and drink excellent and crew consistently good. LH seat is very good too and a huge step forward on their previous offering in F, the crews I’ve experienced have been a notch up on the usually good LH crews, they seem very proud of working on the A380. IMO LH consistently offer a food and beverage service which is the best in the business, a matter of taste but I think they are the overall winner. SQ C, I don’t like the seats and the food and drink offering is poor for business class, they rely too much on the hardware selling the product but when you don’t like the hardware, as many don’t there isn’t much left these days to recommend it.

I wonder what we will see from those yet to introduce the A380. The only major innovation has been SQ suites although EK already had the concept around. It would be good to think that someone like BA had a real gear change for F up their sleeves but I get no sense that this will happen which I think is a pity. The QF A380 seat is so much better than the new BA F seat, surely with something similar on BA they would have have something of a gear change on the north atlantic which I always think of as their core market.

KSHaggag
    Participant

Gentlemen ,

According to airlines reports ,it seems that the KE Korean Air s A380 is indeed different from all other carriers superjumbo …………..has anyone hd the chance to sample the KE A380 so far ???..especially in business or First Class ??

barnacles
    Participant

I would echo many of the comments above, having flown F, J and Y on EK. Infrequently mentioned has been EK’s entertainment system – really superb, with an enormous range of channels (around 2,000!), both video and audio. Outstanding, with an easy to use handset.

I particularly liked the recessed drinks bar and toiletries spaces in the F cabin, which pop up ‘on demand’ by pressing the cover. The drinks bar ‘J’ equivalent is not quite so successful, being almost behind the shoulder and therefore more inaccessible.The bar area at the back of J class is intimate, although can really only cope with two or three pax/couples at a time, and manages to avoid the vulgarity of Virgin’s attempt to create something similar in Upper Class.

There are some superb touches, even in Economy (for example, the washroom taps which revert to warm, via the natty LED display, after 30 seconds or so of the pax having set their own hot or cold temp and having used them). One poster mentioned that the washrooms seem larger – at least in Y, one of the reasons is that it is the basin, rather than the lavatory, that faces you on entering, so that immediately you feel the space is bigger.

Another poster mentioned the cabin dimensions – because the overhead bins (which EK delightfully chooses to call ‘hat racks’) on the outer rows stop short of the fuselage’s inner edge, there isn’t the feeling of ‘cramping’ near the outer seat edge.

I was bowled over by my flights on EK – of course having spotless, still pretty new a/c doesn’t half help. And while I think it was Vintage Krug who mentioned the tail camera, the one I thought most successful (and clear on a daylight flight, even at 40,000 feet), was the under-belly one.

LeTigre
    Participant

The one thing I hate about EK A380s is all that fake wood, they surely know to cheapen a brilliant aircraft!

TridentGold
    Participant

I am a big fan of the 380. Brilliant flights with EK in F and J (despite the glitz) and my only really enjoyable flight on AF, upstairs in J. One of my best ever expereinces was a recent LAX SYD in F on QF. I think QF have got the ergonomics really sorted. Aside from the feeling of more space it is the low noise and vibration level which I find really calming on the 380.

malbarda
    Participant

I am impressed with the plane, but have not been impressed with how Air France has used it… I wrote a review here:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/note.php?note_id=400642033595

robertm62
    Participant

Well, I really don’t like it for the following reasons: the windows are too small; I constantly had a feeling I was on a cargo plane that was converted to the passenger one at the last moment… I flew First class cabin on Malaysia Airlines (KUL- LHR) 18 months ago – the seat was comfortable, the food OK etc. but those small windows really turned out to be a deal breaker. Now I do whatever I can to avoid this aircraft. Unfortunately, BA is flying it to LAX, and will later this year begin to fly it to MIA as well (my top destinations). I know that 747-400s are being phased out and I am looking forward to enjoying my upcoming flights to the US in April this year (I just love the upper level Club World cabin on a 747-400). It looks like I will be shifting to AA (777-300 ER) for Transatlantic flights in the future (great business class seats, especially by the window).

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I wonder if passengers perception of the 380, depends on the airline being flown…

In my case I have only flown the 380 on BA in Club and quite frankly I can understand why passengers would rate it poorly.

If the product is good, the 380 should rate highly, if the product is bad, the aircraft will rate badly…..

DontTurnRight
    Participant

Love it, especially EK where apparently there are also economy passengers on the plane!!!

MIKEKIRTON
    Participant

I love the quietness of the 380 when I travelled FC to Hongkong with BA when it launched that route .So decided to book the 380 with BA again on the next Asia route Singapore in Sep , Imagine my dissapointment when I learnt the route had been put back to Oct .As yet I havent been informed by BA but found out by chance

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 82 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls